Stantec "large company" Reviews | Glassdoor

Stantec Employee Reviews about "large company"

Updated Oct 16, 2019

3.6
Stantec CEO Gord Johnston
Gord Johnston
Pros
Cons
  • "Snarky emails from upper management pushing corporate iniatives(in 31 reviews)

• "Can be a lot of extra paperwork and standards to follow because it is such a large company(in 28 reviews)

Reviews about "large company"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Project Architect - Company acquired by Stantec"

Former Employee - Project Architect Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Stantec full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are lots of resources and people to turn to for help and support. Positive work environment.

Cons

Can be a lot of extra paperwork and standards to follow because it is such a large company.

Stantec2019-10-16

"Poor Management, High Turnover, Too much bureaucracy"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Stantec full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The benefits were ok -- standard for a large company. ESPP is nice.

Cons

Too much emphasis on billable hours. The environment is competitive and not collaborative because everyone is trying to milk billable hours from their clients. PMs are encouraged to take on more work than they can handle, which leads to poor quality of work. No QA process or checks in place. Too much paperwork. High turnover from the top-down. It has been a revolving door of unstable leadership. Those left... in management aren't necessarily the best managers, just those that decided to stick around.

Stantec2019-02-07
  3. "Stay the hell away from this company"

I worked at Stantec full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, large organization

Cons

No team effort, each on their own, large company and employees are nothing but numbers

Stantec2019-01-16
  4. "Project Manager"

I have been working at Stantec full-time

Pros

Large company with many opportunities to get involved in a wide range of projects. Treat their employees well and fun place to work. Remote working if required.

Cons

Large company and sometimes you don't know where to find resources outside local office.

Stantec2018-12-17

"Mechanical Engineer"

I have been working at Stantec full-time

Pros

Large company with plenty of disciplines. Multicultural environment with highly skill staff. Challenging projects and respect for diversity.

Cons

Slow growth. Lack of cross-operations opportunities. Too much focus on controls with reduced focus on creativity and innovation. Too conservative heritage coming from acquired companies with plenty of senior staff.

Advice to Management

Hear to intermediate level staff. Promote training as much as regulations and rules. Promote incentives to creativity and give as much attention to the ¨doers¨ as for the ¨controllers¨

Stantec2018-08-22
  6. "Great company to work onfor with global iconic projects"

Current Employee - Vice President in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Stantec full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company structure is developed to allow for a small company dynamic within a large company framework. This allows for real entrepreneurial opportunities for mid-level managers to senior level managers to pursue projects around the world within a matrix of technical disciplines. If you have great ambition and fortitude to create and build teams - this is a great company to be a part of! The type of projects... you are able to engage are challenging even to our top disciplines allowing for real engineering or scientific engagement that will stretch beyond a textbook or even your last project. There are significant knowledge sharing opportunities to develop not only the entry level staffer but our senior level staff as well.

Cons

Like many larger firms organic growth is the norm and acquisitions are common to take advantage of industry cycles or lucrative market opportunities. In those acquisitions, the time to adjust to project controls and structure varies by the size and breadth of the company being acquired. In many cases, Stantec takes on best practices of the acquired firm to blend into its own operating portfolios. Would prefer... that the transition moved faster in many cases to better benefit from potential synergies between teams in hot markets.

Advice to Management

A company is only as strong as the next hire or link in the chain. Continue to pursue and hire talented and ambitious staff and embrace succession planning to allow future leaders to emerge.

Stantec2018-08-16
  7. "Mechanical Engineer"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Stantec full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Incredible wealth of knowledge and experience in our SME's. Exponential learning potential.

Cons

With such a large company based on growth by acquisition, it is hard to feel connected to the whole.

Advice to Management

Increase the organic growth percentage, investigate more ways to make employees feel connected to the Stantec identity.

Stantec2018-07-27
  8. "Engineer-in-training"

I have been working at Stantec full-time

Pros

Work with some amazing people (depending on your specific office location, I'm sure). Decent job security.

Cons

Large company makes it hard for them to stay competitive with vacation, benefits, and salary.

Stantec2018-05-21
  9. "Very happy in this position."

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Nashville, TN

I worked at Stantec full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management and staff was friendly and supportive providing me anything I needed to succeed including training. A large company meant more opportunities to grow and learn and allowed my knowledge, skills, and abilities to be utilized.

Cons

It’s a large corporation so some of the policies that must be adhered by didn’t really relate to my position and wasted some time. A mentor or senior level person in my field was not available at the time of my employment so I feel like I missed out a little gaining knowledge and experience.

Advice to Management

I loved this job. The only thing missing was a mentor. All junior employees should be assigned a senior level mentor for the benefit of all involved.

Stantec2018-04-25
  10. "Associate"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Stantec full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good environment and nice office, nice team to work with

Cons

Like any large company, the top management is out of reach for folks doing the work

Stantec2018-01-27