Stantec "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Stantec Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Nov 18, 2019

3.6
Stantec President and CEO Gord Johnston
Gord Johnston
Pros
Cons
  • "Snarky emails from upper management pushing corporate iniatives(in 31 reviews)

• "Can be a lot of extra paperwork and standards to follow because it is such a large company(in 28 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "A company that cares about the well being of its employees"

Current Employee - Senior Architectural Historian in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Stantec full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Sacramento office of Stantec is ideally located as we have both a strong architecture and engineering services. Our Environmental Services group benefits from this as we have huge opportunity to work for a wide variety of clients. As someone who has worked with another large engineering firm previously, Stantec works much harder to ensure integration of disciplines across the company. I routinely get to work... with other specialists across the company and we collaborate on projects. I have found I get paid higher than my competitors who have similar years experience. There is a fair amount of upward mobility.

Cons

Top heavy management structure. While the majority of upper management is high quality, hiring sometimes skews towards hiring the level of staff rather than quality mid and lower level.

Stantec2018-12-10
  2. "Good place to grow"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist

I have been working at Stantec full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good place to grow if you are someone willing to work hard and be a self starter. Great pockets of good people when you can find them.

Cons

Expectations of productvity and over time with lower pay and virtually no bonus. Snarky emails from upper management pushing corporate iniatives

Advice to Management

Mind the emails and communication -if project managers dont fulfil some company initiative its not because they dont want to...but an snarky email isn't a way to make them want to.

Stantec2019-11-07

"Unsustainable Management Practices and Profit Driven Culture"

Former Employee - Geotechnical Engineer

I worked at Stantec full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stantec provides ample opportunities to work on complex, challenging, and mentally engaging projects. Depending on the discipline, you can work with world class experts with many years of experience in the industry, creating a great learning environment. They also have a very impressive focus on safety.

Cons

The culture at Stantec has deteriorated over the last few years to become a truly dismal work environment. Upper management decisions tend to focus completely on growth and profit, as expected for any business, but without any balance towards employee well-being or work/life balance. Salaries are on the low end of the bell curve for many disciplines. There is also a suffocating amount of training, corporate branding..., and overall useless content created by the company that detrimentally effect the daily work life. Finally, be prepared to brown-nose middle management. Good work products and going at lengths to stay billable are not enough, if you're not working 50+ hours a week (hourly or salaried) and rubbing shoulders with higher ups, you are regarded as a second-class employee.

Advice to Management

Better plan workloads and hiring practices to keep your employees consistently busy and accommodate for the cyclical nature of the consulting business.

Stantec2019-11-18
  4. "Inspector"

Former Employee - Level II Inspector in Mobile, AL

I worked at Stantec full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits. Plenty of time off and paid holidays

Cons

No upper management leadership. Can not keep enough work for current employee. Company tried to take mileage away from inspectors. No confidents for future

Advice to Management

Find upper management that are compedent.

Stantec2018-05-12

"Stantec is corporate heavy."

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Stantec full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some genuinely good hardworking surveyors, engineers and managers who deserve to be acknowledged and rewarded. The only good thing about this company is 10 paid holidays.

Cons

It’s all about looking good on paper. Upper Management doesn’t quite care about the employees as long as the money keeps coming. Performance is not appreciated at all. Raises are very minimal for regular employees and bonuses are only for the upper management. Employee retention is a BIG problem because of lack of appreciation for hard work. Stantec has an yearly performance review system in place which is a... JOKE. Hourly Employees are rewarded with raises as little as a few cents. The benefits are very sub-standard. Stantec really needs to talk more to its employees about their goals and career objectives like they care, not just to satisfy some corporate paperwork requirement.

Advice to Management

My advice to Stantec is to slow down a little bit and actually think about its employees than sending pointless emails about corporate earnings and irrelevant rankings. Maybe its one of the larger engineering companies to work for but the mid level and entry level employees are definitely not valued enough. I quit, and I am sure there will be many more to follow soon.

Stantec2018-04-28

"They will integrate you"

I worked at Stantec part-time

Pros

There are some really great people who work here, with the best intentions for building a diverse community and building an excellent portfolio.

Cons

Management is constantly in flux and is never sure to remain stable, leading to a complete breakdown of accurate information, ladders to leadership, and collaboration across senior levels. The Stantec model is to buy up high performing firms and integrate them into the Stantec community but they provide no tools or benefits of being a part of a megalith company. Our benefits became less comprehensive under Stantec..., as well as less family and woman friendly. The sense of community the former firm had will be broken down and re-assimalated into "Stantec" while also diluting the effectiveness of its leadership and community. Upper management frequently gets propelled into the amorphous, mutable ether of Stantec upper leadership while the rest get stagnated in deeper layers of bureaucracy. They talk a lot about values but rarely do those values become enacted into anything greater than public mantra.

Advice to Management

Promote more women leaders and foster greater collaboration and transparency between the hierarchy. The leadership that exists is predominantly male with very few clear opportunities for education and career growth. Everything is about what you can do for the company and very rarely about what the company can do for you.

Stantec2017-10-16

"Traditional Uninspiring Conglomerate"

Former Employee - Designer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Stantec full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large enough firm with capital to develop good documentation and BIM standards. Company has enough money through its conglomerate structure that employees can sit idle without any incoming projects and still collect a paychecks. Location is very convenient for commuting.

Cons

It would be intuitive to think that an AE company would naturally result in synergies among disciplines. Due to the fragmented and uninvolved roles of leadership- synergies between departments do not exist. Internal coordination is extremely lacking. Leadership is not consistent and are not good communicators. Another plutocrat comprised of uninspired and uncreative designers engineers/architects/interior designers... alike. Those who are talented are sucked in a vacuum by the overly inflated egos of "upper management". Career opportunities is constrained by unprogressive sexist/racist culture breed by men and women alike. If you are interested in avoiding hierarchical/traditional workplace, this is not the place for you. If you are interested in merit based opportunities, this is not the place for you. If you aren't interested in seeing a MAGA sign displayed in a glass front office of a principal at your workplace, steer clear of here.

Advice to Management

Don't be so arrogant and absorb constructive feedback. Live your marketed value "designing with community in mind", a good place to apply and start is in your very own workplace.

Stantec2017-10-11

"Poorly managed company"

Current Employee - Electrical Designer

I have been working at Stantec full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Offices located in nearly every major city.

Cons

Purely an acquisition company, from our offices experience. Quality of work takes a back seat to profit margins. Prior to being integrated into Stantec, we had upper management come in and sell us on the idea of sharing resources (people, expertise, workload) with other offices. Since we've become a part of Stantec, we've realized the current standard operating procedures doesn't promote office partnerships, but in... fact discourages it. Meaning if one office is struggling to find work, it's in the best interest of another office to hoard all the work or they could find themselves in the same situation.

Advice to Management

Live up to your core values: We put people first, We do what is right, We are better together, We are driven to achieve.

Stantec2017-03-01

"Consultant"

I worked at Stantec for more than 8 years

Pros

There are no pros to working here.

Cons

One of the worst company cultures in my 20+ year career history. If you are a 'yes' person who has no opinion and does what you are told, sits at your desk and speaks to no one all day, you might be fine. HR is full of bullies, men and women alike. They get rid of anyone who appears to be a threat to upper management, because they are inferior bullies who can't have any competition making them look bad. Leadership... does not exist there, only bad management. And if you speak up and defend yourself, you are systematically harassed until you leave. There is no training and development plan, unless you fight and beg for it. If you're liked by your boss, they may pay for a class or two. The company's stated strategy is to be mediocre at best in pay and benefits. 2017 benefits are being slashed to the point of being so non-competitive and extremely expensive its not worth it. You can do better, anywhere.

Stantec2016-09-26

"Environmental Engineer"

Former Employee - Project Staff Specialist in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Stantec full-time

Pros

Company management in Canada is good.

Cons

The current existing lady who is office manager and her former supervisor, now her assistant, are not good to work with. They manage this branch as their own company and bully the staff. Since her management, all professionals left the company. They don't treat people well and use the company money as their own. If both of these are not at this branch, it will be a nice place to work. Upper management from Canada or... Sacramento should thoroughly inspect the office. Office in charge should be assigned to someone with professional background.

Advice to Management

The existing office manager and her coworker (senior scientist) should not be assigned as this branch's lead. They enjoy to bully employees. Office lead should be someone with professional background with many years of experience in office management.

Stantec2016-09-02