Stanton Optical Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Daniel Stanton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • the employee discount on glasses was AMAZING (in 5 reviews)

• There are no pros with this company (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad upper management starting from CEO (in 13 reviews)

• Management sucks, Call center sucks (in 9 reviews)

1. "I love my job at Stanton Optical."

Current Employee - Assistant Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Sales Manager

I have been working at Stanton Optical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with the public. Having the freedom to make decisions the spot without asking permission for every little thing!

Cons

The hours. Not promoting from within when fully qualified. Policy & procedure not being followed by management.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

"Licensed optician"

I worked at Stanton Optical full-time

Pros

The pay is pretty decent

Cons

Horrible management, too much overtime, poor quality, and I always felt like I was ripping off the customer

"Don't ever come here"

Current Employee - Optometric Technician in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Optometric Technician in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Stanton Optical part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great starter job to get experience in the optical field

Cons

The management: I had been working with this company for about 2 months as a new store and we started to accept insurance one day and the owner (Daniel Stanton) called and pretended to be a patient asking about insurance. I got yelled at for not knowing questions and doubting my own answers. He also yelled at my manager for not teaching me.
    As an OD Tech you get bonuses based off of 1) the frame specialists selling their "managers special" (because its the OD Techs job to start the selling process) 2) exam onlys, 3) walk ins.. so if the frame specialists didn't sell the managers special enough or they couldn't close a sell so we had exam onlys we didn't get our bonus.
    Managers don't want to work with you on any time off either, they'll give it to someone else just in spite of you.
    If you have experience in the field, forget even being valued (I graduated from an Optician program, was ABO/NCLE certified, and still only got a $0.29 cent raise for the year. Also making much less hourly than another tech that knows nothing about optical.

Advice to Management

Learn how to schedule people, train your new hires efficiently, pay people what they're worth.

"Optometric Technician"

Current Employee - Optometric Technician in Jupiter, FL
    Current Employee - Optometric Technician in Jupiter, FL

I have been working at Stanton Optical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Team work, incentives,Loyalty among fellow employees. Everyone I work with we have all been here in same office for 3 years or more.

Cons

Reviews and rate of raises not consistent with skills or goals that have been met,

"What a joke"

Former Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Stanton Optical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Make good money and learn how not to do business after you leave Stanton. Working for Stanton makes you appreciate good business because they are terrible

Cons

Entire upper management ignorant to the eye care industry. Strictly a sales company common they do not care about their customers patients. They will work you to the ground and then fire you without notice or proper documentation

Advice to Management

Change your ways before they catch up with you. You can only treat people badly for so long before you have to answer for your choices. Sell the company run and hide and I'm real deep hole forever because nobody wants you in this industry.

"OD Tech (PS: RUN!!)"

I have been working at Stanton Optical (Less than a year)

Pros

Meeting patients and lunch breaks

Cons

Where do I start? This is the worst job ever. You're only guaranteed to make $10.00 hourly. Your weekly bonus varies from $0.50 to $2.00 extra per hour at the end of each work week. That is only determined by your GM's grading of your performance. If you pre sale packages while pretesting you're doing great; if customers aren't willing to buy those packages your bonus is at stake. You will be scheduled some weeks to work 42+ hours and others 35 hours. Even if you're a fulltime employee. You'll be expected to verify insurance for all patients entering the store, take payments, do preliminary exams, train new contact wearers, and book appointments (that the call center never seem to do right) all within a day's work. You'll also be expected to pitch sales packages to patients as you are doing their pretesting as if it is casual conversation.

Some days you'll be scheduled to work alone and are expected to see 25+ patients with appointments, while all walk ins should be fit into the appointment books somehow. No walk ins should be turned around because walk ins are always excepted. You'll be scheduled to work 9- 6 but expect to have two patients booked at 6:00 P.M. leading you into overtime. Overtime is not allowed!! You'll have to magically see the two 6:00 patients before 6:01 and clock out. Be careful, because the 1 minute of overtime will get you in trouble.

GM's and SM's are a joke. They do not know how to do their own jobs yet alone know the jobs of their employees. They do know how to take numerous breaks and sit all day, while OD techs aren't allowed to sit. All managers should be cross trained, so they can fill in when needed.

The advertising is misleading. Patients are more upset that they are forced to get high packages because although we say we accept most insurances, we really don't accept but a handful. This is the most unethical job I've ever worked at. Patients are treated as if they're customers at a used car dealership. Yes they're greeted with a smile, but they're constantly pressured to spend spend spend. I do not recommend this job to my worst enemy! This job is for people with no morals, Optometrists be weary, because Stanton's regulations will put your license at stake.

Advice to Management

Sell Cars

"STANTON"

Current Employee - Retail General Manager in Kendall, FL
    Current Employee - Retail General Manager in Kendall, FL

I have been working at Stanton Optical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay rate and ability to move up through hard work

Cons

Responsibility and product issues

Advice to Management

Invest in better materials

"Too good to be true I only lasted 3 weeks..."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Stanton Optical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Training was okay, for managers it was done properly. But next don't mix optical and no optical experienced people together. This field is not easy there's a lot of information and laws that we must follow. Good pay, marketing always looking for was to expand and make it better.

Cons

Yes managers work 45 hours a week, but it's more! Because of the stress of sales and the way to push and the store swing percentage and the need to make conversion still makes no sense to me. First of all these are lot customers they patients! Always remember they come first! Your sale does not come first! The sales process feels like I was at a flea market making a deal with the buyer. To me it looks super unprofessional! General managers are hired to make a difference and show examples to their employees. Not just take over and do the same themselves! Treat your employees don't demand. Inspire to make a difference. There's a big lack of communication no respect to one another. Some people do not deserve to be GMs or SM. People do not quit the company they quit that management and unfortunately that's what happened to me.

Advice to Management

Train your people more in optical theory! Schedule real doctors more! You'll make more money actually! Visit the store more and TRAIN! Teach your GMs to be the example not to just demand. Do proper schedules! And make sure at every store there's a licensed optician! Not just once or twice a week? There should always be one or two and they should be supervising dispensing, trouble shooting, and adjusting! State boards and FDA should be doing regular visits. Again, I will never work for this company and if you a person with óptica experience I wouldn't work for this one until they fix the damage, properly train personnel. As well if you ever want to become an apprentice optician don't try this company. Has well invest in better material. I had patients go experience you, and they came back to where I am and regret going to you. Improve your customer service it should be an easy flow. Granted we can not please everyone but you can give patients an outstanding customer service. And improve your lab process. Stop outsourcing to other countries because you want to lower cost. As well stop over working your managers, the stores hire eye wear specialist for a reason. Managers are there to manage not take away sales from employees.

"OD Tech"

I have been working at Stanton Optical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can't think of any

Cons

Mostly scheduled by yourself! You get graded based off what they retail side does. Management sucks, Call center sucks! They tell people whatever to get them in the door and when the customer arrives and finds out something different guess who gets to the ear full! Sketchy practice!

10. "Optometric tech"

I worked at Stanton Optical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Busy office, day flies by.

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult ult to take breaks.