Stanzione & Kim Patent Attorney Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Stanzione & Kim Partners Patrick J. Stanzione & Seungman Kim
Patrick J. Stanzione & Seungman Kim

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Good Patent Boutique Firm"

I worked at Stanzione & Kim full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a former employee, I had a great work experience at Stanzione and Kim. I found the partners and associates to be informative, understanding and helpful.

The Firm specializing in the drafting and prosecuting of patent applications. The firm offers a friendly atmosphere, interesting work, and reasonable expectations. The Firm also provides good mentorship regarding patent prosecution. Additionally, several of the members are former patent examiners with the USPTO and provide first-hand knowledge regarding the internal workings of the patent examination process.

I would recommend this Firm to all looking to work in preparing and prosecuting patent applications.

Cons

The Firm focuses on patent prosecution. Thus, the Firm may not be a fit for one seeking a lot of work in patent litigation.

2. "too bad they couldn't keep it going"

Former Employee - Patent Attorney
    Former Employee - Patent Attorney

I worked at Stanzione & Kim full-time (More than a year)

Pros

downtown locale. good places to eat.

Cons

they couldn't keep it going

Advice to Management

grow

"An Office Action boutique run by incompetent management"

Current Employee - Patent Attorney in Washington, DC

I have been working at Stanzione & Kim full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Holiday parties where you can watch management act inappropriate and unprofessional in front of the firm's employees and the patrons of the restaurant.

Cons

The firm is run by management that is utterly incompetent. One senses the paranoia existing in the management from the moment you step foot into the office, likely due to the management's lack of understanding the basic fundamental principles of patent law. On more than one occasion, for example, a particular partner suggested rebutting an anticipation rejection under 102(b) using a teaching away argument. Therefore, an attorney with 3 or more years of experience will gain very little additional patent law experience working at the firm.

There is no partner track at the firm despite the misleading statements included in some of the reviews. The only hierarchy that exits at the firm is the nepotism shown to those who side with one partner over the other. That said, the atmosphere is extremely sinusoidal due to the continuous battles between the partners and the "You're are either with me or against me" mentality projected on to the employees.

Finally, (although the list of cons could easily continue from here) there is a single client with little diversity in the technical subject-matter of the office actions the associates work on. Management is not keen on associates bringing their own book of business into the firm, or eager to allow associates to network and build a book of business for themselves.

Advice to Management

There's no point in suggesting advice to management that doesn't consider their own employees as colleagues.

Stanzione & Kim Response

Dec 18, 2013 – Partner

False (and libel) statements from a disgruntled former employee.

"A Lot of Turnover for a Reason"

I worked at Stanzione & Kim full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's always a steady flow of work. You get to work on a wide array of applications in the fields of work being brought in.

Cons

The work environment emanating from the top was one of a substantial lack of trust of my judgement during all phases of the patent application prosecution. The work almost exclusively is foreign prosecution. Ask about documentation showing longevity of the attorneys and agents (not including the two partners - they'll include their 8 years each) that worked at S&K - it will average around a year and a half). Assistant staff numbers will not be much better - make of that what you will, but it is a fact.

Advice to Management

Management, that is to say the two partners, need to learn what the term decency means, and treat their employees with more respect.

Stanzione & Kim Response

Oct 7, 2013 – Partner

We regret that things did not work out for you. We are a fairly new firm (10+ years) that actually has over 6 employees which have been with the firm over 5 years, including 3 attlorneys and... More

"Small Firm, Big work"

Current Employee - Patent Attorney in Washington, DC

I have been working at Stanzione & Kim full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I think Stanzione & Kim is a great place to work. It's no secret that the legal field can be intense and high-stress. I think that this place avoids a lot of the stereotypes of law firms. Around here, the people are kind and considerate.

A few of the other reviews on this site are critical of the management and their people skills. Personally, I don't know where these reviewers are getting this from. Yes, there can be criticism of work. But the firm is a business, and I can tell that criticism is not personal here. It is from partners who care about the work and want to make sure the clients get the best service.

Everyone at the firm wants to make sure that everyone working there is equipped to give the best kind of service. It is easy enough to give someone a hard time when they make a mistake. It is another thing entirely to help that person learn how to avoid repeating that mistake. Everyone at Stanzione & Kim thankfully does the latter. It is an environment of acceptance and support, working towards the same goal.

Cons

The other reviews have already said that the work is mostly prosecution.

I would also say that because this is a small firm, everyone there is general-purpose. So at any point you could find mechanical, electrical, or chemical work coming your way. Thankfully, it's easy enough to find some help if you find yourself looking at a technology you're not familiar with.

"Hostile work environment, decent pay"

I worked at Stanzione & Kim full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The firm pays well (a bit below the DC market rate; but higher than other prosecution sweat shops) and had a steady work flow while I was there. I also liked the other associates and staff.

Cons

The work environment is very hostile. Prepare to be yelled at or cussed out (both attorneys and staff). Also, be prepared to be accused of doing things to bring down the firm. Not kidding.

The work is entirely patent prosecution of foreign companies. This may not be a con for everyone, since some people will enjoy doing this work all the time. But don't believe the review that says there is a variety of work. It is all prosecution all the time.

"This firm has been rated as one of the top ten patent law firms for quality production in America."

Current Employee - Patent Attorney in Washington, DC

I have been working at Stanzione & Kim full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This firm offers a cozy family-like atmosphere of a small law firm, while providing large-firm Clients and responsibilities. For example, each attorney is completely in charge of his/her docket, and has the opportunity to experience face-to-face time with representatives from large corporate Clients. Also, due to our Clients' varying technologies, each attorney inadvertently becomes an expert in many different technological fields.

After getting established in this Law firm, the work/life balance is amazing. Furthermore, the firm sponsors many happy hours, excursions, and parties, thereby pursuing a feeling of camaraderie between employees and partners.

Finally, the training provided at Stanzione & Kim, LLP is outstanding, as the firm truly focuses on quality over quantity...which is why internationally-recognized "Intellectual Asset Management Magazine" rated this firm as one of the top ten patent law firms for quality production in America.

Cons

Although this firm has an extensive amount of patent prosecution work, and has offered work in other aspects of Intellectual Property Law such as Interference proceedings, Trademarks, and opinion writing, if you are looking to do strictly patent-Litigation work, Stanzione & Kim, LLP is not yet actively pursuing such ventures.