Staples Reviews | Glassdoor

Staples CEO Shira Goodman
Shira Goodman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Quickly going down hill."

Former Employee - Account Consultant
    Former Employee - Account Consultant

I worked at Staples full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

lots of flexibility in outside sales. no micromanaging and there are good people that work at this company. everyone works hard, but middle management is too focused on metrics and not sales.

Cons

being the top in sales doesn't mean you make alot of money. they say unlimited commission but they make it impossible to hit 6 figures. staples was bought by a venture capitalist and ate cutting people left and right. you will not have job security.

Advice to Management

please spend time with the people out in the field. invest in your software...you know what im talking about.

2. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Recently went private. Get to work with most technology manufacturers so staying up-to-date with the industry is terrific.

Cons

Company is placing a great deal of investment in selling managed print. Print acct execs are given unattainable quotas with only 6 months to reach them. Upper management is more keen on taking care of their senior management that they'll realign territories to ensure sales directors can make their numbers. It doesn't matter that the geography won't be covered due to sales reps living in other states so won't have much face time. Mgmt looks down upon entertaining customers and spending nights in hotels, so one may have to drive 8 hours in a day to spend an hour in front of a customer. New hire training is great, but new hires have to share rooms. Spending money to ensure employee satisfaction is not paramount. It's churn & burn. If you're lucky, the print AEs will luck into a position that has been hunted for the last six months and there are opportunities in the pipeline. If it's a turnaround territory, with no funnel, good luck! You'll be given an impossible quota with six months to meet it.

Advice to Management

1. Realign territories. Have sales folks that live in the territory call on customers in that state.
    2. Be realistic with sales objectives. AEs with states such as WVa or Rhode Island shouldn't be held to the same quotas as those in California or New York
    3. Entertaining customers is part of the business. Spend a little bit to make developing relationships easier.
    4. Realize that some manufacturers' acct managers have a lack of respect for our company due to the high level of turnover, lack of visibility from our sales managers (when was the last time RSDs went on a call???) and our unwillingness to pull them into our accounts. Our competitors do it so much better.

3. "Staples - Contract Division"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Staples (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large Company - known name.

Cons

No integrity - tenure is viewed as a negative vs respect - very "top heavy" company - no firm sense of direction.

Advice to Management

Value your clients and employees neither are being valued at this time and the outcome of the business is showing it .

4. "Sales"

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No pros. Bad company to work for.

Cons

Bad management and low pay

5. "Stay Away"

Current Employee - Easy Tech Sales Associate in Pittsfield, MA
    Current Employee - Easy Tech Sales Associate in Pittsfield, MA

I have been working at Staples part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some interesting customers. Not very much.

Cons

Terrible policies, pressure selling, deceptive sales practices, lies about sick time policy, heavy favoritism, ridiculous goals with no commission...

Advice to Management

Complete overhaul needed.

"Was great until Tom Stemberg left."

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay. Ok benefits compared to other large companies. Some managers know what they’re doing but many are in wrong role

Cons

Current management thinks offshoring American jobs will save them money. It’s just killing whats left of the company Morale is at all time low

Advice to Management

Stop offshoring as an easy way to reduce costs

"Awful job, always hiring for a reason"

Former Employee - Tech Services in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Tech Services in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Staples part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You work around computers and tablets all day which can be fun but there really isn’t anything great about working at Staples, it’s just quick cash for all of their associates.

Cons

Management sets unrealistic sales goals for tech services employees without any commission, so a top performer will get paid the same amount as an employee who doesn’t try at all.

Management gives a list of tasks to be completed throughout the department in morning, and doesn’t allow employees to leave until tasks are done, however most of my day is spent interacting with customers and leading stores in sales with barely any time to even get a drink of water.

Customers complain about the rewards program (which doesn’t really do anything) and high prices which we have no control over. Many customers receive a bad experience because we barely have any time to help them and often people are forced to wait hours to hear anything about the status of their computer or phone repair...

Take my advice, do not work at staples, it is a very high amount of stress for 9/hr and they are constantly hiring because anyone qualified to handle this kind of job would rather do it somewhere else for double the pay. However, staples is failing due to amazon taking their business and they are very cheap with their labor costs let alone the fact that we don’t have toilet paper in the bathrooms.

8. "Not Good"

I worked at Staples full-time

Pros

Not great if your are looking for a full time job

Cons

Most everything was awful trust me

"Meat Grinder"

Former Employee - Shipping in Brighton, CO
    Former Employee - Shipping in Brighton, CO

I worked at Staples full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was decent, occasional free lunch

Cons

Hard on your body, terrible hours, terrible management, terrible training.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like they are expendable. They are not machines and can only work so fast for so long.

"Catty, Incompetent, and Delusional"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Staples full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While it's hard for me to think of positives for myself, it seems that some people who have a great manager really like their work, because their manager cares about them. But a lot of people do not get so lucky.

Cons

It's a bullying kind of an environment. The company was acquired by a private equity company and honestly, it's mayhem at the home office. People are being laid off, senior leadership is being catty, rude, and really mean/unprofessional. I have never seen so many unprofessional things happen - when a VP of a department writes emails that say "it's not rocket science, figure it out" or threatens other employees because she believes this is the best way to get something done. The environment is horrible, the company is absolutely not going to be able to sustain this for much longer - and there is no doubt in my mind that not many people will be left with a job.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to people, we know what's going on. If you believe this acquisition is going to bring change, the lay offs should not just be happening at C level, but you also need to clean house at your VP and Director level. These are the people that are brining down morale of the company and they are pushing out your best employees. Not one good employee will stand for it and WE ARE ALL LOOKING FOR NEW JOBS.

Showing 855 of 6,602 reviews