Staples Reviews | Glassdoor

Shira Goodman

6,053 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Back to school season can be overwhelmingly dutiful in this job (in 88 reviews)

• Work life balance is a little challenging if you are on the technology teams (in 74 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Staples Culture is Amazing"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Remote, OR

I have been working at Staples full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discount Program, Medical, Dental, Vision, Employer paid STD, Vacation and Sick time, Referral program

Cons

None really. There is a talent track program to move up within the company.

Advice to Management

Thank you for being so diligent with the Talent Track program.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Manager in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Framingham, MA

Pros

Great culture, good people - you're not just a number, but can truly make a difference. If you are willing to work hard and focus on common goals and objectives, then Staples is the right company for you. Everyone who I work with truly believes we are the best office products company in the world, and fight each day to make that belief a truth.

Cons

Heavy workload is, and always has been, the norm. The salary structure - while somewhat competitive - is on the lower end of the scale per job role/grade.

Advice to Management

Solid decision makers who always have the best interest of our customers and our people in mind.

3. "Staples Associate"

Current Employee - Copy Center in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Copy Center in Boston, MA

Pros

Great job for students like myself who want to come back during school vacations. Pay is alright, raises every year for good performance. Fairly laid back environment.

Cons

Bonuses are practically a joke. The bar is set so high that you can almost never get one no matter how hard your store works.

Advice to Management

NA

4. "Staples is the land of opportunity! For it's associates, it's customers and it's investors!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Framingham, MA

Pros

Staples is a place of integrity, with a leadership team of highly ethical business leaders. Treatment to the customers is held to that standard as well. There is a pride that is apparent for those of us who work at Staples. It is a young company that has accomplished much in a short time, but doing things right! For me, it has allowed me to use my talents and to contribute to the progress of the company in my area of expertise.

Cons

With the company being only a little over 20 yrs old, the growth sometimes out grows the technology. This is probably the only downside. The strides I have seen in the past 5 years is impressive. The company is trying to ramp up with technology that eases the lag time or down time. While we have a way to go there, we definitely have the support team to get us there!

Advice to Management

Keep it simple!!

5. "Poised and ready to take on new challenges."

Current Employee - General Manager in Chambersburg, PA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Chambersburg, PA

Pros

Great overall working enviroment. The associates are treated like family on all levels. Challenging, but not overbearing. We are given goals and the tools to achieve them to the best of our abilities. There is great communications from upper mangement for us to follow. There are amble career opportunities to move up the ladder to whatever you desire. Recognition of associates is improving to new levels. Just alot of fun to be part of a winning team. They make it "easy".

Cons

None. I wish I would have started with Staples sooner in my career.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. I am looking forward to the fruitation of the recent merger with Corporate Express. We should see the positive results reflected in our stock prices.

"Staples for growth and challenge"

Current Employee - Director in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Framingham, MA

Pros

Dynamic Organization, for corporate America it is caring, Stable. Principled leadership with laser focus and compassionate touch.

Cons

Size and Marketing Agency Bureaucracy

Advice to Management

Great Job Keep it up. Time for a new BHAG...

7. "Staples: a great place to work"

Current Employee - Systems Operations/Engineering Consultant in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Systems Operations/Engineering Consultant in Framingham, MA

Pros

There is a tremendous team atmosphere across all teams. They offer competitive salaries and very competitive benefits. It is a very stable and well-run company. There are lots of opportunity for growth. They are also a family-friendly organization, understanding how important family is to their employees. Also a very philanthropic company donating time and money to many worthy causes. They are a diverse company with a global footprint, who recognizes the value in diversity and encourages employees in this regard. They offer on-site childcare for their corporate employees and have other fun/informative activities that are offered as well.

Cons

I don't see any downside, for all the reasons listed above. It is a well-run company that appreciates it's employees.

Advice to Management

Keep recognizing your employees, especially during the harsher economic times they are what keeps the company moving.

8. "Staples- The effort you put in, is what you leave with as well. Do nothing, deserve nothing."

Current Employee - Inventory Associate
    Current Employee - Inventory Associate

Pros

Stable company in a not so stable realm right now. Ron and Co. are improving growth and image needed not just in US but profitable countries as well. ODP and OMX threatening to close some of their doors. OMX also went through a major mgr. upheaval that left many bitter. Don't blame them.
    Benefits are great and better than most Retail boxes. Vision coverage is good (tough to find a GOOD dr. in the area) but excellent reimbursement on contacts and glasses.
    Love working on computers and Inventory for the stores. Like to watch when I help a store out through increase product levels, that the product flies off the shelf.

Cons

Long hours and you get pulled in several directions from varying mgmt. personnel.
    Customer's are not always right - especially the ones that yell at you.

Advice to Management

Take time to say hello and be honest, not "hey how ya doing?' and continue on speaking without waiting for a reply.

"Great company, great leadership, long term great place to work."

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Framingham, MA

Pros

Great company that will continue to grow and create opportunities for talented people. Company works hard to identify those with great potential and promote from within. International growth will be the driving force for the next 10 years, and Staples will continue to outperform its major retail competitors in the US (Office Depot and Office Max) as they weaken as a result of the recession.

Cons

Very few considering it is a great company that will prosper even more as the economy rebounds.

Advice to Management

Ron Sargent needs to get out of his office and interact with associates at all levels of the company more often.

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - CSL in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - CSL in Columbus, OH

Pros

Great benefits, decent pay for retail, a strong and secure company with a bright future, not like any other retailer.

Cons

Telling people you work in retail isn't impressive no matter where it is.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, make suggestions from store managers and associate even more seriously than you already do.

Showing 6,053 of 6,151 reviews