Staples Reviews | Glassdoor

5,550 reviews

Full-time Part-time

5,550 Employee Reviews

Cons

1. "Tech Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in The Dalles, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in The Dalles, OR

I have been working at Staples part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helping people find the tech/items they need. Giving information to others so they can learn. Sometimes you get nice customers who appreciate all that you do for them and I like a few of the coworkers

Cons

Crabby customers, skeleton crew, unreliable coworkers, supervisors aren't leaders (commands rather than asks). Throwing you out on the floor with almost no training and then complaining about you not having it done. All services are way over priced.

Advice to Management

Tell GMs and Assistant managers to have higher standards for employees. In the 7 months I've been at Staples my GM has hired 8 people and 2 never showed up, one stayed for 4 days (he checked up on his application completely wasted) , 1 lasted for a couple months and the other 3 have all been here for about a month to two months and are incompetent but we have to settle with what we have.

2. "A Brief Review of Staples"

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Janesville, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Janesville, WI

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company often promotes from within, giving many employees an opportunity to advance.

Cons

There is a strong disconnect between the home office and the individual stores. At times, it is glaringly obvious that the people creating sales projections and expectations do not spend much time at all in the stores. As expected, this leads to plenty of head-scratching and frustration in day-to-day operations at the store level.

Advice to Management

Senior management would be wise to take a more in-depth look at the stores. More effort should be taken to better understand store-level operations, and to shrink the communications gap between home office and individual stores.

"B2B Consultant"

Former Employee - B2B Sales Consultant in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - B2B Sales Consultant in Springfield, IL

I worked at Staples full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management out of the St. Louis office was excellent. They really care about their people. The tools they provide to achieve sales goals are all you can ask for from marketing material, to information resources. As a remote rep, or a local rep there is no micro management. The whole region succeeds by lifting each other up, and praising when it is deserved no matter how small the feat.

Cons

The business model is tough in remote areas where I was at. Definitely a better fit for metro areas where there is more business. That way you can venture out to a rural area if there is an opportunity, rather than live in a rural area and continually hunt for big fish.
    Another hurdle was that prices were often better on the retail site than on the business site. Sometimes you could match it for no commission, but often bigger ticket items such as technology were being sold under cost. That was probably the biggest frustration. 1-2 calls a week from accounts.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

5. "Excellent Work"

Former Employee - Easy Tech Associste in Enfield, CT
    Former Employee - Easy Tech Associste in Enfield, CT

I worked at Staples part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience in the customer service field.

Cons

No downside at all. Was a great experience

6. "Print & Marketing Associate"

Current Employee - Print in Osage Beach, MO
    Current Employee - Print in Osage Beach, MO

I have been working at Staples part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, short shifts, good staff

Cons

Too many people now hired in Print Dept. Shortened a lot of hours

Advice to Management

Keep part-time employees at an average number of hours per week. Was averaging 15-25 and now it is 10 hours per week.

7. "Senior Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I worked at Staples full-time

Pros

Great cafeteria with tasty food. Nice gym with $25 per month.

Cons

Very challenging work life balance. Managers hardly support working from home.
    Their retail business is dying. Online will never be able compete with Amazon.

8. "Honestly, it's OK...."

Current Employee - Mobility & Tech Supervisor in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Mobility & Tech Supervisor in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good entry/middle job for retail. Most GM/SMs are very flexible with your schedule as long as you don't try to game the system.

Cons

Tech Sales Supervisor ends up being the "Jack-of-all-trades" without the benefits of a bonus or higher pay...

Advice to Management

If you are going to use someone as a manager, at least give them a raise, especially if they are pushing metrics to heights the store hasn't seen....

9. "Learned a lot as this was my first sales position when I was in high school."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lynchburg, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lynchburg, VA

I worked at Staples part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits as a part-time employee. Friendly co-workers and management. Learned a lot about the products I would have to sale.

Cons

Can't find any cons with this position since it was just a part-time high school position. It was difficult to plan time-off due to shortage of workers.

10. "Sales Associate Experience"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Staples part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy routine work, Friendly environment, Flexibility

Cons

Not much to learn, Gets boring after a while

"Good Job, Horrible Company"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As other's have said, great co-workers. Flexible schedule is great- work from home 3-4 days a week. I disagree with the other posts- pricing is competitive. Decent salary, good comp plan for those who do well. Once you figure out the job, I wouldn't say it's difficult, just time consuming.

Cons

1. You used to be able to choose your customers, now they're assigning you a book and you can't add accounts on your own
    2. This company is failing and it's very obvious. They'll be closing hundreds of stores and are laying off great people all around the country. i just witnessed new employees being let go. Then, if you have tenure and are making good money, you're making too much money. There's no future for most people with Staples.

For as much as this job, I think, is really good.. You should walk away from the idea of working for this company. I don't expect a 20 billion dollar company to care about me, however, This is not a stable company. Run!

Advice to Management

Retail store managers are running business to business sales. Stop reading sales books and invest in people, not metrics. Promotions are based on behind kissing, though I'm sure that happens most places.

Showing 5,550 of 5,631 reviews