Star West Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Technician"

Former Employee - Satellite Technician
    Former Employee - Satellite Technician

I worked at Star West full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Drive around the state, learn a new field on television . Management is great to work with they work very hard, found other reviews on here were bad employees that of course leave bad response. It's a great place of works 3 years now and going

Cons

If you hate driving you will drive it Is satellite dish s meaning install in remote areas but you get made by hour

Advice to Management

Rest and don t over work your selves

2. "Dispatcher"

Former Employee - Dispatcher in Bozeman, MT
    Former Employee - Dispatcher in Bozeman, MT

I worked at Star West part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent, hours are consistent, office work is cushy.

Cons

The management is petty, overly strict, and unnecessarily bureaucratic. This was one of the worst jobs I have ever had. It seemed like every member of management was just a minor dictator.

I was written up once for coming in at 8:01 AM. When I switched shifts with a co-worker so I could go to an event over the weekend I was reprimanded for "going behind my manager's back". Her initial reasoning for not approving the time off request was that it was "unfair" for me to get more than the two weekends a month off that employees were allowed by policy (but my co-worker was happy to cover the shift). I was told to drive home and change after coming in on casual Friday wearing a shirt with Wicked (the musical) on it. Nothing lewd, literally just the title of the Broadway show and the logo, which is work appropriate. I'm 98% certain one of the senior techs while I was there was fired for discussing the techs unionize.

We were told not to talk too much while we were working. Not, like, we were distracted and told to get back on task, but we were regularly talking *while* working and were told not to. For several weeks in the off season the odfice was very slow and I asked if there was anything that needed to be done, my supervisor almost always said "nothing right now". When I started reading during this down time I was reprimanded. When I asked if there was any work I could do instead I was told nothing needed to be done at the moment. I know this sounds like an exaggeration, but it felt like management didn't think we could be working if we were also happy.

Advice to Management

Your employees are human beings, not profit producing robots.

3. "Technican"

Former Employee - Technician in Bozeman, MT
    Former Employee - Technician in Bozeman, MT

I worked at Star West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No shortage of employees who equally despised the owner.

Cons

The owner and management are crooks. They say one thing one day, and hold you accountable for the other the next. Or, they make decisions for you, without your knowledge, and without informing you, and then hold you accountable for not knowing.

Advice to Management

Learn the meaning of integrity.

4. "Poor management styles"

Current Employee - Satellite Technician in Missoula, MT
    Current Employee - Satellite Technician in Missoula, MT

Pros

Good stepping stone for better things. If you're satisfied with low pay then it's not so bad.

Cons

Unrealistic training for the level of work expected. For a company in the business of serving customers, they refuse to ensure the customer is first. You must spend $800+ to purchase the equipment repaired to do the job. There's no incentive for employees to be stewards of the company, which says something for a company representing a large scale company like Dish. Instead of retraining management seems to think breathing down your neck will fix any issues you might be having. There's little to no opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to micro manage every little thing, it only makes your employees want to try less. If you send your employees out let them work, don't try to check in on the constantly. Provide better, more in depth training. Don't expect your employees to do things they were never trained for.

5. "Stay Away from Star West Satellite"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bozeman, MT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bozeman, MT

I worked at Star West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible with vacation days
    Hour long lunch

Cons

Management does not like to work with employees on how to improve
    No moving up
    Bonus with metrics is empty and does not exist
    Management likes to cut hours back as punishment rather than talking to employees about issues

Advice to Management

Keep your word and don't talk behind employees backs. Talk to your employees and try to see how they can improve instead of just cutting hours.

6. "SAVE US UNION!!!! HORRIBLE COMPANY"

Current Employee - Satellite Technician
    Current Employee - Satellite Technician

I have been working at Star West full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice area.. new things daily

Cons

Been here a long time.. it's REALLY gone down hill the past year and a half. New management is a complete joke. They have zero business experience. Go find a career.. they brag this is but don't even offer good benefits or retirment. CAN'T WAIT FOR THE UNION TO COME THROUGH!!

Advice to Management

Just stop. Start over. Owner... please sell it. We're tired of your bragging ando running this place Into the ground..

"Not worth the pay"

Former Employee - Satellite Technician in Bozeman, MT
    Former Employee - Satellite Technician in Bozeman, MT

I worked at Star West (More than a year)

Pros

You have the opportunity to travel our local area and see first hand what some of the countryside looks like. I had no idea there were so many lakes here. The position can be challenging and requires some ingenuity and strong attention to detail.

Cons

Long hours for minimal pay. The training should have a substantial amount of apprenticeship style due to the complexities and unrealistic demands of the job. If you are lacking in detailed understanding of home theater, cabling techniques and electrical systems, find another career. For the expected experience and required understanding of home electronics and wiring, the pay should be much higher.

Advice to Management

Allow for much more training, supply the expensive satellite meter that is required for the job, and group the installations to closer proximity. Expecting 4 installations that are an hour drive apart each day is just silly and unprofessional.

8. "Technician"

Former Employee - Satellite Technician in Helena, MT
    Former Employee - Satellite Technician in Helena, MT

I worked at Star West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

always 40 hours or more, great benefits and great to work 4 days a week and 3 off. Management wonderful

Cons

weather, sometime really cold and really hot out

Advice to Management

ran very well with new Management I hear for 2015

9. "great company"

Former Employee - Manager in Bozeman, MT
    Former Employee - Manager in Bozeman, MT

I worked at Star West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay checks always on time

Cons

This company that has experienced its share of growing pains and this trend looks like it will continue.

10. "It was a great job until I got fired on their error"

Former Employee - Temp in Post Falls, ID
    Former Employee - Temp in Post Falls, ID

I worked at Star West full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work experience and you get a certification. learn customer service skills. welcoming environment and great coworkers

Cons

long hours few upset people early start time unfair firing without a reason