StarTek Reviews in Mansfield, OH | Glassdoor

2.4
StarTek CEO Chad Carlson
Chad Carlson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It was a great place to work from home (in 17 reviews)

• Can drop to part or go up to full time (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Change is constant like any call center (in 22 reviews)

• The line of business is customer service so the types of calls are typically billing questions (in 13 reviews)

"Customer Service Rep"

I worked at StarTek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your co-workers are awesome and a great environment . Unlimited OT !

Cons

There were a lot of changes and things were all over the place , on the phone they wanted you to go the extra mile do things that's not in the job description but didn't wanna pay for the extra mile .

Advice to Management

GET ON THE SAME PAGE!

2. "Won't be surprised when they close"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Mansfield, OH

Pros

Great coworkers, variety of schedules and departments available.

Cons

You're not given the proper tools to complete your job, the wrong people are constantly promoted (after they've been sat down numerous times and make the same mistakes), HR never does their job, the facilities are disgusting (fleas, bed bugs, mice, etc), no communication, poor pay, constantly finding reasons to deny raises, top performing agents are not appreciated, contracts with clients are constantly being pulled and this place is at risk or being shut down any day.

"Work/life balance lacking"

Former Employee - Lead in Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - Lead in Mansfield, OH

Pros

Always hours available, overtime can be a pro or a con.
    Easy to get promoted if you are good at your job.
    Adequate training.

Cons

Understaffed.
    Unimaginable turnover.
    Systems are inadequate, company doesn't concern itself with ensuring employees have adequate resources.

Advice to Management

Constant chaos is not "change to adapt to".
    Listen to your employees.
    When you promote employees to management and exponentially grow their responsibilities, maybe consider raising their wages above that of their subordinates.

4. "Collections customer service"

I worked at StarTek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, overtime always available, 2 hours of Paid time off every paycheck, close to home

Cons

Hours, shift bid ( based of your performance you get placed for shift options), the changing of hours and days off with little notice, do not recommend for someone who needs babysitter

Advice to Management

Actually do something. Agents get tired of having to search the site for where you are, a lot of manager do drugs

5. "Nothing's Changed"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mansfield, OH

I worked at StarTek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy work, overtime, upbeat environment

Cons

Mandatory overtime, depreciation of hard workers, hours

Advice to Management

Appreciate those that bend over backwards for you, because when they stop you'll see why you needed them.

6. "Technical Support"

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Mansfield, OH

I worked at StarTek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, amazing people to work with, a lot of advancement opportunities and great training. Pay is pretty good and the hours are pretty much whatever you want but the benefits are very expensive.

Cons

Very stressful work, a lot of angry customers no matter the department. Expect you to be able to fix issues that don't even exist. A lot of customers are very hard to understand and it's most do not understand even the most basic things that they need to do to fix their problems.

Advice to Management

Nothing. They do a fantastic job for their employees, the customers are just horrible.

7. "customer service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, OH

Pros

Okay company lots of overtime

Cons

None bad to say about company

Advice to Management

Ok management and training

8. "Customer service"

Former Employee - BEUC Representative in Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - BEUC Representative in Mansfield, OH

I worked at StarTek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Well trained in the technicalities of evaluating cellular devices for problems and setting up payment arrangements for customers

Cons

More training for those not familiar with billing and technical aspect of devices

Advice to Management

More training and easier access to technical support

"Customer Service...turned Collections"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Collections in Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Collections in Mansfield, OH

I worked at StarTek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Star Tek Mansfield had a lot of great benefits and features that most of the businesses in the area do not offer. They do have benefits (review my cons) such as insurance, dental, 401k, stocks. They have a live cafeteria open most work days, although the company itself is open everyday the cafeteria does not, but they do have decent hot food at a slightly high price, but it's convenient. When I first started I was doing customer service for AT&T which I greatly enjoyed. They moved on to doing collections which I did not enjoy which is why they are currently a former employer. They do have paid training, another plus. The majority of the people who work there are upbeat, happy, caring (whether they are all really good actors-which is part of the job-is up to you). The job itself is not physical in any way. During my time as a customer service rep I found working with the customers to be mostly enjoyable. The company itself does try to keep the employees up to date with what's going on by having multiple forms of communication such as internal webpage, facebook, etc. If you can talk on a phone and type (accuracy, spelling, and proper grammar not required) it's a decent job in a dying town (Mansfield). They also try to get the community to like them by doing things like paying for a local football field. Although, it wasn't the one that's right across from the company which made no sense to me. Star Tek does have other opportunities finally after five years..they now handle Nespresso, a grill company, and apparently since I left they are also going to be doing some AT&T chat. I may try to go back to the company if nothing better pops up. They tend to be for the most part a very understanding and human group of leaders. They have such things as flex, like if you need to have unexpected time off for a day you can work a different day during that pay period to make up for it.

Cons

The cons...now this is all based on being a collections rep for AT&T I have no knowledge of how the other opportunities are, but most people loved them. So as far as collections go and Star Tek itself negatives: constant shift changes with shift bids that tend to have to be redone multiple times, literally leaving you very little time to revamp your life. If you have kids or have to deal with other schedules in your personal life it can make things quite complicated. They are always having issues with changing supervisors. If they aren't getting fired, they are getting moved. The training tends to be outdated. You tend to learn about something you had to make up as you go six months late. You are dealing with AT&T constant changing policies as well so you better use the tools they give you to stay up to date or you may be giving bad information out. Not cool. The customers...in collections it can be hard. You get cussed out constantly. You become AT&T in their eyes and because they are behind on their bills and don't want to accept the fact that it's their own fault they will try everything they can to keep service and not pay. The insurance Star Tek offers is crazy expensive, you literally have to do the overtime to bring home a check. Another thing I didn't like. Points...now I know no one should be late for work or heaven forbid ever miss...but sometimes things do happen. The point system they adopted says points only fall off once a year.

Advice to Management

I know I am not there right now due to my own choice. However, I would strongly recommend you work on giving your employees better training that's actually up to date. I suggest better insurance and benefit packets. I recommend you fix your parking lot...nothing but holes that'll take a tire out. I recommend you quit firing your supervisors constantly. No one really wants to move up because you fire the sups! Stop doing that!

10. "Call agent"

Current Employee - AtS in Mansfield, OH
    Current Employee - AtS in Mansfield, OH

Pros

Lots of hours, great people to work with

Cons

Phone calls, career advancement for people who don't deserve it