StarTek Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

StarTek Reviews

Updated March 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • It was a great place to work from home (in 16 reviews)

• Can drop to part or go up to full time (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • All while telling you the new call center is just for overflow calls (in 18 reviews)

• The line of business is customer service so the types of calls are typically billing questions (in 13 reviews)

1. "Great place, fast-pace, can learn a lot if you apply yourself"

Current Employee - QA Superivisor in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - QA Superivisor in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at StarTek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're teachable and professional, you can grown quickly and learn A LOT.

Cons

They sometimes promote (a) before you're ready and/or (b) promote then don't offer you enough support to become successful. It's not because they forget about you, but they often don't have the support ratios to spend the time.

Advice to Management

Clearly explain what the company's definition of 'professionalism' is so there's no confusion as, unfortunately, it's no longer just common knowledge.

2. "Supervisor 1"

I worked at StarTek full-time

Pros

Friendly environment, internal promotions, policy driven

Cons

work/life balance not valued, no real compensation package for mid level management and above

Advice to Management

place some focus on the mid level leaders in your site and how you can improve their morale to better the morale of your front line reps.

3. "okay"

Pros

Time off, the people, freedom

Cons

Small company could pay a little better

Advice to Management

Nothing

5. "Solid Call Center Job"

Pros

Benefits, Overtime, Opportunity for Advancement if you have a good attitude.

Cons

The Health Insurance can be pricey for someone with dependents

6. "Unstable"

Former Employee - Supervisor I in Hamilton, OH
    Former Employee - Supervisor I in Hamilton, OH

Pros

You must enter at least 5 words for Pros.

Cons

Pay depends on who you know not your skills

Advice to Management

Hopeless

7. "Won't be surprised when they close"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Mansfield, OH

Pros

Great coworkers, variety of schedules and departments available.

Cons

You're not given the proper tools to complete your job, the wrong people are constantly promoted (after they've been sat down numerous times and make the same mistakes), HR never does their job, the facilities are disgusting (fleas, bed bugs, mice, etc), no communication, poor pay, constantly finding reasons to deny raises, top performing agents are not appreciated, contracts with clients are constantly being pulled and this place is at risk or being shut down any day.

8. "Thoughts"

Pros

Steady work, easy enough call types.

Cons

Poor communication with upper management

9. "It's a good place to work"

Pros

Commission, experience, perks, coworkers, atmosphere

Cons

Technical difficulties, sometimes it is extremely busy, and some customers are just way overdramatic about their issues.

Advice to Management

Point system sucks.

10. "Nice fun place to work"

I have been working at StarTek full-time

Pros

Commission, 10.25 per hour cust rep start, many opportunities to move up.

Cons

Point system, doctors aps count against you, commission gets paid out monthly not per check.

Advice to Management

Make the point system more lenient and understanding.

11. "9 years wasted"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Festus, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Festus, MO

I worked at StarTek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They regularly provided paychecks and they also provided insurance, retirement and vacation options. Some of the fellow coworkers were good people. Glad I'll never have to work there again.

Cons

The job is very stressful. Regularly you are put to a task that is nearly impossible to accomplish. You have to deal with customers that are on the short end of leaving the client the company represents (Sprint) due to said company's very poor customer service in the first place. These customers are very upset usually and solutions that would work for most people are not successful for them since they have already have to go through a lot of other reps to even get to you. The employer as well as their client simply do not provide adequate resources or assistance to help these customers. You regularly will get yelled at by people on a daily basis, it's a good day if you only get yelled at by one or 2 people.

The bonus incentives are a joke since you have to hit virtually unattainable goals to get them. Out of the 500 or so people that work at the location I worked at, usually only 10% or less actually hit the goals to receive any bonus at all. I've observed some of the employees that actually often got the bonuses and they were only able to get them via unscrupulous means. The client and employer requirements are too unrealistic and aren't based on real world interactions with most customers to make the goals attainable. I've worked at factory jobs which often have very strict demands and every factory job I've ever worked at was a cakewalk compared to this place to meet the demands of business.

Tenure and loyalty means absolutely nothing to these people. I invested over 9 years of my life at this location. It used to be a company called Accent. People often hated them too but they were significantly better than Startek, which bought them out. I often defended Accent because even though it was tough work dealing with the customers at all, you actually felt like you could move up into a spot you can be comfortable at. Advancing in positions was something that you could do, they rarely ever hired outside of the company. At first Startek seemed to run things business as usual but they made some sweeping changes. They removed basically every incentive that tenure would have other than the vacation time differences. They capped the pay to a laughable joke. They did a shift change and because I had some poorer than normal performance, I literally got one of the worst shifts you could possibly get, when I previously had mornings and weekdays, and had that for over 5 years. All of a sudden I was getting reprimanded at the job for various incidents that never had occured in the previous time I was working at, and they never stopped to question why these incidents were happening nor took any action to correct it. I was getting 5 weeks of paid vacation but the approval process for vacation requests was a joke. Such little time is actually allocated to be able to request vacation time that they instead force it to be used when you call out, because there are no actual sick days.

They recently enacted a new policy to make attrition accelerate rapidly as well. They really do not care if their employees still work there because they have a revolving door policy. They will replace the butts in seats they lose with new ones because Sprint has not caught on to how they mismanage their employees yet. In fact that's basically what they refer to employees as butts in seats. They do not make any meaningful attempt to work with us, to teach us good ways to manage the workload, etc. they make the bare minimum effort. Oftentimes there are several computer stations that are down and they make no meaningful effort to repair or fix them. The equipment and facilities are pretty poor. The computer systems and network are very slow and make completing the work more difficult and time consuming. They commit a lot of mistakes and problems and it honestly surprises me that they still have people working there. I have been keeping up with some people that are still there and they said things have just continued to get worse. I recently heard that someone that worked there ever since the call center got opened almost 11 years ago had recently quit working there.

I stopped working there because of an incident that I will not go into much detail. Basically I had a customer that had a difficult demand. I consulted with a supervisor about the incident but they refused to help even though they literally had NOTHING else to do. They weren't assisting any other employees, they weren't working on any kind of reports or other computer work. They were just sitting at their computer desk reading some emails or messages. I made multiple attempts to get assistance from this supervisor to no avail. I said something to them that at the time I regretted but in hindsight I'm glad I did it. I got fired for that incident but they also lied about other stuff that I did, which was all completely bogus. I applied for unemployment but they of course did everything in their power to deny me. They do this regularly, they will fight every unemployment claim that gets filed against them. I put in all that time into the company and I had payroll deductions every check for stuff like this yet they had the gall to deny me. Also they attempted to not pay me out for unused vacation time that I had and it took multiple attempts to get this paid out.

They used to pay good but funny enough, the job that I previously was at I had returned to, has a higher starting pay than them now. I originally left that place for this one because they paid more.

Advice to Management

You need to do something and fast to keep people employed. We all know that Sprint is too stupid to realize that they are wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars a year on having you train people to replace the ones you frivilously discard. Eventually they will wise up to your poor employee retention and will wonder why they are allocating so much on a training budget to you and will move their business elsewhere. You might want to try and improve employee working conditions before that happens.