Starbucks Reviews in Arizona | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz

Pros
  • benefits for part-time employees (in 949 reviews)

• A pound of coffee mark out every week (in 481 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be challenging to maintain (in 299 reviews)

• Fast paced- You must work quickly and effectively (in 366 reviews)

1. "Great benefits"

Current Employee - Barista/Barista Trainer in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Barista/Barista Trainer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paying for my college with no stipulations, other than being benefits eligible

Cons

Hours- not enough hours to go around, partners call out sick and the floor is strained because it's down a worker

2. "Great part time job"

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Starbucks does try to create a welcoming environment. You form bonds with a variety of people. The benefits are amazing for those who are able to receive them. It's a good way to make money while going to school.

Cons

It's sad seeing all the food that is wasted or gets thrown out. Some starbucks stores have partnerships with local shelters but not all. I've seen so much edible food simply get thrown away in the trash and partners can be fired for taking it, giving it away or eating it.

Advice to Management

Try to encourage stores to set up a partnership with local food shelters or work a system out so that all that food simply doesn't get thrown away. Make partners feel appreciated at the store level. Low morale can lead to more issues.

3. "Amazing corporate culture and learning experience"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people and customers were the main reason. Working with amazing tenure people that have been with the company for years really shows in the way the store is running. When you are working with outside hires and newer individuals you can feel it. Luckily at Starbucks you have a pretty good chance of working at a store that is all tenure. The stability of the company is also phenomenal, like nothing I have ever experienced before. I love working at Starbucks because of how valuable they make you feel as a partner.

Cons

The salary for being a supervisor running a floor of 5 partners, doing cash management, inventory/ordering as well as taking care of tasks, breaks, sales etc is too low. 13 an hour.

Advice to Management

Please acknowledge that supervisors should be paid more.

"Experience Varies by Location"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits especially for part-time employees whom are respectively called "partners." The company always has new stuff coming out and makes work interesting. You can work at any other Starbucks if you need extra hours. There's always room to grow and the management is always ready to listen and help. The management works extremely well with hours availability. Drinks are easy to make once you memorize it. You get free food all the time, how much you get is depending on the location. They pay for the ASU college achievement online courses.

Cons

Guests can be hostile at times and pay is relatively lower than it should be based on how much revenue they make. Some locations are very strict.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

6. "Former Barista"

Former Employee - Barista in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Barista in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, good perks, cool college program

Cons

High manager turnover, minimal training, rude customers

Advice to Management

lower manager turnover

7. "Great job"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Yuma, AZ
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Yuma, AZ

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good money lost of perks and great people to work with and the ability to move up fast with hard work

Cons

Hard work can be challenging, something extremely busy and lots of cleaning. Also lost of things to learn the right way

8. "Barista"

Former Employee - Barista in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at Starbucks (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced work enviromnent
    Great teams to work with

Cons

Extended pressure in work environment
    Job lacked sense of belonging and significance

Advice to Management

Increase pay to be more competitive, respect employees

9. "Barista"

Current Employee - Barista in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Barista in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health being its are really good. Reasonable payments and deductibles with good coverage. The reason I stay. Also you get full time benefits with only 20 hrs/week. They also contribute to 401 and you get "bean stock=around $700/year".

Cons

A lot of mundane chores, cleaning. Dealing with immature partners. Poor pay rate. A busy store can be annoying because you feel understaffed. Not a lot of appreciation from the company.

Advice to Management

Easy to become a shift supervisor. I was but demoted myself because it wasn't worth the extra $1-2/ hr to deal with. Would hate to be a SM.

10. "Great schedule, easy job"

I worked at Starbucks part-time

Pros

Hours and flexible schedule, benefits, stock investment, free food and drinks, free beans once a week, tip out once a week, friendly coworkers, awesome online schedule system

Cons

No one covers shifts for you, strict corporate policy, discourages employees from being too unique or creative, which is what makes local coffee shops so appealing to young and older people alike. Starbucks could definitely benefit from some individuality that employees could bring to the company. Also, the store I worked at didn't recycle for some reason. We wasted so much plastic and cardboard boxes it was unbelievable.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to consider allowing employees to be more individualistic, rather than training us to be overly friendly robots regurgitating the same lines every shift.

11. "Stressful but rewarding"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Flexible hours. Free drinks before, during and after your shift. One free food item per shift. Awesome stock options and vesting schedules. Free 1 lb of coffee each week.

Cons

It is very stressful during rushes and the job demands alot of you. You have to be a great multi-tasker and be able to handle many types of people & partners.

Advice to Management

You should truly get to know your potential future managers and give them a chance to succeed and promote over new outside hires, because you will lose your greatest potential by overlooking the partners you already have.

Showing 182 of 13,009 reviews