Starbucks Assistant Store Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Starbucks President & CEO Kevin Johnson
Kevin Johnson

Pros
  • Starbucks offers a wicked comprehensive benefits plan to part time employees (who work (in 978 reviews)

• free pound of coffee or box of tea every week (in 493 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor it can be difficult to have any semblance of a work-life balance (in 305 reviews)

• It can be very fast paced if you work at a high volume store (in 381 reviews)

1. "Best benefits in the business"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You won't find better benefits out there from a retail company, especially the 401k and stock options. Not to mention college tuition for military/veteran spouses in addition to the veteran.

Cons

Insurance can be pricey for a family of 5

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

2. "I loved the experience and really miss the great people."

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working for fast growing company with so much to offer as far as benefits. I have never had vision and dental all in one package as well as a nice stock option plan. When you work holidays they really make up for the time you put in.

Cons

The early hours get to you and you have to make that adjustment to your lifestyle.Also if you get short staffed the company really looks down on OT pay.

Advice to Management

Don't change a thing. Everyone is great and works very hard.

3. "Amazing benefits"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced
    Easy work
    Good energy
    It can be very fun and very entertaining as long as everything is running the way it should

Cons

High turnover
    Lack of District Management support. Not very present.
    It can be frustrating work when you or anyone else is new

Advice to Management

Consistency is key

5. "A Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing benefits
    Rich culture
    Fun atmosphere
    LOTS of opportunity within the company

Cons

DM's can be difficult to work with if they don't have Store Manager experience.
    As manager you are constantly on call, you MUST be there for your store at all times.

Advice to Management

Give externally hired DM's more experience in running a store! The training itself is not experience enough. Its difficult to problem solve with DM's who aren't able to see things from the SM's point of view.

6. "Asst. Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Malibu, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Malibu, CA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They have great benefits and offer them right away (even for part time employees). The regulations are straight forward and your reviews are based all on numbers so it's fairly easy to perform well as long as you know how to follow the rules.

Cons

The hours are all over the place and really depend on the individual stores busiest time periods. This job definitely isn't for everyone, because half the time your enjoyment really comes from your customers and the other people that work with you. When they're in a bad mood it easily effects you.

Advice to Management

Often times as an assistant manager there is a bit of a power struggle with the managers. I went through so many managers, and all of them seemed to come storming in and throwing around changes, even though our store was one of the highest in the district.

7. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Layton, UT
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Layton, UT

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits; tuition assistance, health insurance, Spotify premium account, just to name a few

This company really strives to put its people first

Cons

I can't really think of any cons. I'll say that I work really, really hard and the work can be draining at times trying to keep up with all your objectives,but at the end of the day it's also really rewarding.

8. "Assistant Store Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, thorough training, Lots of opportunities within the company to move up or around. Good internal company culture.

Cons

constantly changing schedule. High turnover of staff. Sometimes unrealistic standards are set by management. Worked in a high volume store where lines went out the door, but was still expected to be able to get someone in and out the door in 3 minutes.

Advice to Management

Set more realistic goals based on each stores volume. Don't hold even store to the same standard. Other than that not a bad place to work.

9. "Assistant Store Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Potential for development is endless, especially if you live in a metropolitan area. Forward thinking company. They invest in the communities that each store is located in. Benefits are amazing, and they are for part-time employees as well.

Cons

Pay scale can get tricky, for instance, I moved from a market where the cost of living is relatively high, to a smaller town and after they used "a calculation" for my new pay rate it ended up around $4.50 less an hour. I still have the same bills that i had in the city so its quit tough. Systems around labor allocation have been quite out of whack without explanation, and the standards are ever-changing. Continuity would do some good.

Advice to Management

really pay attention to the way you pay your baristas and workers. they keep the customers coming back in our stores.

10. "Excessively great"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Starbucks coffee company is a leading business in this economy for many reasons. I have been treated very well.

Cons

There are only so many Starbucks Coffee Companies for so many people who I believe would make excellent partners. Also, they would have to have the right incentive to work at Starbucks.

Advice to Management

Insurance, education benefits(SCAP), and the variety of perks we get are amazing, but if there was a way for partners to opt out of their perks and opt in for raw money, some people would be happier.

11. "ASM"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Coffee. Caring company. Interacting with different people every day and experiencing a spectrum of personalities. Things are constantly changing nothing is stagnant.

Cons

The hours can be long but I feel it's worth it. They expect a lot from every partner that works for them from the bottom to the top.