Starbucks Barista Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Starbucks President & CEO Kevin Johnson
Kevin Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Starbucks offers a wicked comprehensive benefits plan to part time employees (who work (in 1034 reviews)

• Free pound of coffee every week (in 519 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor it can be difficult to have any semblance of a work-life balance (in 322 reviews)

• If you are working in a retail store it is a fast paced environment which can eventually take a toll (in 405 reviews)

"Great company if you can handle it"

Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Advice to Management

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

"LOTS to learn and do."

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Great benefits. Flexible scheduling.

Cons

You will feel like a robot.

Advice to Management

"There is still a deep sense of pride and loyalty. But everyday that sense is undercut by the company’s persistent move towards leaner labor models. Everyday that sense is undercut by tenured employees who make little more than new hires, with few prospects for bettering their position. Everyday that sense is undercut by employees who feel that more responsibilities and higher expectations are outpacing support from upper management.

Everyday that sense is undercut by employees who feel the strain of being asked to be all things to all people:
    Fast as a vending machine, warm as an old friend, knowledgeable and craft-oriented as a proud chef. They must find ways to put coffee front and center while still catering to a customer-base that turns out in droves for color-changing sugar-milk named for mythical beings."

3. "It’s a wonderful company to work for with amazing benefits."

Current Employee - Barista in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Barista in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

School and health benefits, environment, free coffee, the public and building relationship with not only your team but with the customers. We’re like one big family.

Cons

You definitely have some nasty people that you will come across but it’s a great job. Lots of cleaning though.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing.

4. "I'm a new hire! I will start my training next week. My store manager shared her story; she started from the bottom @16"

Current Employee - Barista Starbucks in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Barista Starbucks in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employee benefits& perks.
    They say out of a 100 customers, 99% are positive experience.

Cons

1. Have to meet the demands of being in a fast paced environment.
    2. Customers tend to customize their drinks w. difficult specifications.

Advice to Management

N/A
    Just don't keep the store understaffed!

5. "Company takes amazing care of its employees"

Former Employee - Barista in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Barista in New York, NY

I worked at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits
    Flexibility
    Compassionate staff
    Ethically the best company out there, the fact that they pay for school for part time employees is amazing.

Cons

Pay. It is a coffee shop job after all so it's not like you can demand more then it's worth, but it's still a con nonetheless I suppose.

Advice to Management

None. They're honestly doing an incredible job!

6. "Barista"

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company in general. I've been working there for 5 years and in that time have moved to different states 3 times, each time there's a job waiting for me on the other end. Knowing I'm able to go literally anywhere and have a job is really comforting. As long as you leave on good terms with Starbucks they will bend over backwards to rehire you if you need to go back. The environment is fun! The pay isn't great, about 9 bucks plus "tips" which are usually about 50 cents to a dollar an hour depending on what store you work at, but the perks are awesome! Free drinks, free food, free coffee for home, flexible schedules. It's great! The free drinks and food I got working there literally kept me alive during college lol that junk is expensive.

Cons

They are extremely stingy with raises. Unless you become a shift you'll likely only get one raise a year- in January, and it's only about 25 cents in my area (FL). They do schedules for 3 weeks out which I personally don't like but that's just preference I guess.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better, we work extremely hard for you. One raise a year is not enough. I apprentice how easy they make it for hard working employees to move up to shifts, but not everyone has the schedule that allows for that despite going above and beyond.

7. "Barista"

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Westminster, MD
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Westminster, MD

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, great benefits, flexible

Cons

Busy, hectic, and poor management

Advice to Management

Schedule more people

8. "Very positive and enjoyable workplace"

I worked at Starbucks part-time

Pros

It depends on your store's location, but the tips are always a nice plus. I really enjoyed working with most of my coworkers and my store manager created a high-energy, positive environment that led to strong team work.

Cons

The customers can be VERY particular about how they like their drinks made. These individuals are often regulars, all you can do is memorize their regular order as fast as you can.

Advice to Management

Management could improve a bit by remembering to give breaks to their employees.

9. "Starbucks"

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Memphis, TN

I worked at Starbucks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Starbucks is a family oriented friendly shop.

Cons

May get addicted to great customer service.

"Perfect place to build confidence"

Former Employee - Barista in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Barista in Seattle, WA

I worked at Starbucks (More than a year)

Pros

Spotify and coffee helped me through college, small wins every day leaked into everyday life, and over the holidays customers might sneak a gift to you.

Cons

Never anything with my coworkers. They were all perfect. All problems came fro higher up. Some promotional receipts wasted paper and annoyed customers. Sometimes they try to implement new policies (like a to-do card system with too much overhead) that make you realize that the people who made them have never worked a retail job in their lives.

Advice to Management

My store suffered major backlash from competition in a newly opened neighboring coffee shop, putting my manager under major stress to speed up sales while still connecting with customers. We were losing revenue and work hours... but here's the thing... our competition was a newly built Starbucks. Stop punishing your partners with decisions that YOU made. That's a trend that happened much more often than it needed to.