Starbucks Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Starbucks President & CEO Kevin Johnson
Kevin Johnson
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Starbucks offers a wicked comprehensive benefits plan to part time employees (who work (in 1026 reviews)

• Free pound of coffee every week (in 514 reviews)

Cons

1. "Love Starbucks as a customer and employee"

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, fun, great team.

Cons

Customers can be oblivious to the culture of the cafe.

Advice to Management

To operate: put less pressure on lower management.

2. "Baristas beware"

Former Employee - Barista in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Barista in Boston, MA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun coworkers and a fast-paced work environment kept me there for almost 3 years, but the atmosphere within the company shifted drastically during my time as a barista.

Cons

It went from a company that seemed to value its hard-working employees (great benefits, free food and drinks during shifts, relatively high entry-level pay) to one that tried to squeeze every last ounce of energy from their employees and no longer offered generous pay for physically demanding work and terrible hours (opening shifts started at 4:45am). Despite my nearly 3 years of experience (that's a long time for a company with a very high turnover rate), my position as a Barista Trainer and my Partner of the Quarter Award (kind of like employee of the month, but only once every 3 months) I was earning only $0.13 over minimum wage when I left. Despite posting huge financial gains every quarter, the company did not pass along its wealth to the people that earned it its wealth. Managers were extremely overworked and so were baristas. It became an impossible situation to work in, with a few dedicated employees picking up the slack from those that couldn't be bothered to do their fair share of the work with no repercussions since turnover was so high.

Advice to Management

Value the people that make the company great: the people that are serving customers every day. Support your store teams and hire district and regional managers that actually have experience working on the floor of the cafe so that they can better support the store teams and don't make ridiculous demands. Pay employees a living wage.

3. "Very flexible but poorly managed."

Current Employee - Barista in Lowell, MA
    Current Employee - Barista in Lowell, MA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely flexible, good benefits (stock options and grants, 401k matching, optional health care and education), mostly enjoyable working environment, close connection with customers.

Cons

Disconnect between corporate and retail. Store is poorly managed with no recognition of that from corporate, leading to unexpected shift coverages and many other staffing issues.

Advice to Management

Keep a closer eye on store managers. Some are fantastic at their jobs, but some really aren't capable of running a store.

4. "It's retail."

Current Employee - Barista in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Barista in Boston, MA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free drinks, free pounds of coffee.

Cons

Low wages, high expectations, usually short staffed.

Advice to Management

Pay people for the level of effort you're demanding of them or don't be surprised when people don't try/quit.

5. "Shift Manager"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Organized, Benefits, World Use, Avalibility

Cons

Balance of labor to required levels

Advice to Management

There needs to be a unifying message from upper management.

6. "Barista"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

I worked at Starbucks part-time

Pros

Great coworkers and company culture. They offered a lot of benefits for part-time employees.

Cons

At my particular store there was a high management turnaround which became inconsistent but for the most part I had a really pleasant experience working there

7. "Easy job with good pay"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive compensation, top rate benefits, will work with you to fit your schedule

Cons

Difficult customers, very fast paced

8. "Frustrating, but incredible benefits and perks."

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very generous benefits packages, even for part-time employees. Stock vesting programs, 401k, incredible medical and dental, and above all the college achievement plan. I've taken advantage of all of these, i'm about to graduate with a BS in criminology,a minor in justice studies and advanced data analytics with zero debt. If you advocate for yourself and take advantage of the programs offered by the company, it can have incredible payoffs. An outstanding 2-3.5 year job for grad students or undergrads that can handle 21-25 hours a week.

Cons

The work can be incredibly demanding, particularly in high volume environments, and the rate of attrition makes retaining competent staff difficult. The corporate structure relies on managers demanding very high output levels from partners, unless they're lazy or on the verge of leaving you'll be worked to the bone. I wouldn't recommend it to people looking for temporary work, there are better paying, less exhausting jobs and the appeal lies in the benefits programs, which don't really pay off until then end of your first full year. Experience varies wildly depending on the quality of the management, cultural settings nearby, and clientele. People can be horrible, and you're paid in part to tolerate that. You'll get screamed at, maybe have things thrown at you, and if have to clean up some very unsavory things, but that's par for the course in retail/service.

Advice to Management

Stop strangling store managers ability to manage their own labor, demanding 100% compliance with scheduling tools undercuts our ability to adequately staff, especially with the disruptions caused by the new Mobile ordering system. Stop altering launches last minute and overhaul your test market protocols, rework your hilariously irregular QASA standards (seriously, there are so many drastic swings in interpretation from inspector to inspector, quarter to quarter, and frivolous minutiae involved that the entire process ends up producing a huge amount of stress fro minimal tangible impact.) and fix the predictive algorithm that generates the wait times for Mobile ordering, telling someone they'll have their items in 5-10 minutes when there are 12-15 other orders ahead of them, and a line of 10-15 people each probably getting a beverage and food item,frustrates partners and people. Kills the customer experience in store.

9. "Depends on Store Manager"

Former Employee - Barista in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Barista in Waltham, MA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Free coffee
    I worked with a team of great baristas

Cons

Store manager was manipulative and would not follow scheduling requests

Advice to Management

Starbucks sent someone from corporate to help our store because they realized the turnover rate of staff was exceptionally high. Unfortunately this person had just joined Starbucks so he couldn't make clear recommendations or choices. It would have been better to send someone experienced into the store.

10. "Shift Manager Feedback"

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, are everything at this job.

Cons

no support, no respect, overlooked.

Advice to Management

respect people's time at the company and do your checks to make sure you have all the information before making a decision.

Showing 163 of 14,571 reviews