Starbucks Reviews in Cincinnati, OH | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Starbucks President & CEO Kevin Johnson
Kevin Johnson

Pros
  • Starbucks offers a wicked comprehensive benefits plan to part time employees (who work (in 978 reviews)

• free pound of coffee or box of tea every week (in 493 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor it can be difficult to have any semblance of a work-life balance (in 305 reviews)

• It can be very fast paced if you work at a high volume store (in 381 reviews)

1. "Good company!"

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible hours, good team!

Cons

Hard labor when it's busy, often sticky.

2. "Good company, but can be very stressful"

Current Employee - Barista in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the company culture here. At Starbucks, employees are called partners, and they emphasize that through their training, benefits, and team-focused approach. It does not matter what your title or status is within the company, everyone works together to deliver food and beverages in a timely and efficient manner. The benefits are also terrific here, be it the health insurance, 401k, bean stock, or tuition reimbursement.

Cons

I should definitely emphasize that this job is not for everyone. If you work in a high-volume store, which is currently where I am, expect to be running around non-stop all day. Also, some supervisors and tenured partners have a tendency to "eat their young," and you learn to grow a thick skin very quickly here. In more than one situation, I was reprimanded in front of customers for failure to comply with the some of the protocols in place at work (one time for something that was my fault, and the other that was not my fault). Granted, during the time when I was criticized in front of customers, it was my second week on the job, and I was still trying to "learn the ropes." The wages here are better than most other food service chains, but are still pretty low given the amount of work required. Many of my coworkers live with their parents or work other jobs because working at Starbucks alone is not enough to pay the bills.

Advice to Management

Corporate: Consider paying all baristas a living wage (which can vary based on the cost of living in their cities/metro areas). I know that it will cut into the company's profits, and you may have to raise prices on your food and drinks, but there are many hard-working partners out there who struggle to make end's meet on the current pay structure.

Retail: Please learn to be patient with new hires. Provide them with the support they need (positive reinforcement, redirecting when they make mistakes), and do not embarrass them when they make mistakes. A positive work environment is key to preventing turnover and keeping your employees happy.

3. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good culture, good benefits, strong social conscience

Cons

no Cons at this time

5. "Shift supervisor"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Great company with amazing benefits and a path to advancement within the company

Cons

At times some of your customers can be troublesome but it's also an opportunity to connect and make someone's day better.

Advice to Management

Promotions and store support could be a little better. Keep working on the tech rollout.

6. "Fantastic for college students, not so much for everyone else."

Current Employee - Barista in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The ASU tuition benefit is absolutely fantastic.
    Free drinks
    Affordable health insurance
    Free Spotify

Cons

Pay does not correlate with tenure. The company did away with performance-based raises, preferring to give everyone the same raise each year. My pay after 4 years is within 70 cents of a new hire.

Your schedule will likely be inconsistent unless you have a great manager willing to work with you. My store is open 19 hours a day, and one could be scheduled to work a night shift one night and open the next. It comes with the territory of foodservice.

Also, you will run yourself ragged working as a barista for an extended period of time, especially in a busier location. Labor cuts and managerial apathy contribute to this.

Advice to Management

Treat your tenured partners well. We're the ones who take care of the newbies, we know your product inside and out, and we truly care about the company. Show us that the company cares about us.

7. "Barista"

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

amazing benefits, supportive and fun atmosphere

Cons

not as unique as non-corporate coffee chains; endless cleaning; can be stressful

Advice to Management

The company continues to adapt to the consumer needs/wants. Please maintain your commitment to quality as the need for speed increases in our "drive-thru" culture. I appreciate your transparency in working to improve the relationships with and benefits to the coffee farmers and the environment.

8. "Shift Supervisor thoughts"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor/Barista in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor/Barista in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Starbucks (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work/ personal life balance, wonderful for someone in school. Wonderful benefits and stock options.

Cons

Honestly, I feel that pay should be higher for shift supervisors. It is said we are the most valuable people in the company, we should be paid as such. A lot of red tape to jump through to move up.

Advice to Management

Pay Supervisors more.

9. "Barista"

Current Employee - Barista in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Starbucks (More than a year)

Pros

good benefits, customers were always the best.

Cons

not enough staff, pay was not good enough for working so much

10. "Shift Supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible Hours
    Teamwork philosophy
    Ability to move up in the company
    Community Spirit

Cons

Worked with some very incompetent people
    Short staffed frequently
    Asked to sell things that were very difficult to sell on top of doing regular tasks

Advice to Management

Hire people who will work hard and stay cool under pressure. Help employees be excited about the culture of Starbucks but at the same time recognize that it is not the end all be all.

11. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Loved the environment and people. I enjoyed going to work almost every day and worked my way up fro entry level to store manager in 4 years, staying as a store manager for 2 years.

Cons

Training is spotty at best. Management is expected to do too much with too little time. Too many weeks were 60+ hours when they say you will only be working 40, and you only get paid for 40, no overtime for managers.

Advice to Management

Actually train store managers so they know what they are doing and not learning on the job. Give enough support so store managers are not expected to drop everything for their store at all times.

Showing 23 of 13,633 reviews