Starbucks Reviews in Denver, CO | Glassdoor

Starbucks President & CEO Kevin Johnson
Kevin Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Hard to maintain work-life balance as lower management (in 357 reviews)

• Can be very fast paced, not for lazy or easily stressed people (in 460 reviews)

1. "Not for the timid or the meek"

Current Employee - Partner in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Partner in Denver, CO

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Of course, the bennies: weekly bean/tea markout; all the drinks you want when you are scheduled to work and one meal, employee discounts when you aren't working, partner stock after 1 year with the company and if you work 20+hours/week you get education, health/vision/dental insurance at little to no cost. I love the partners I work with....they make the job fun.

Cons

It is the hardest PHYSICAL job I have ever done! I've worked retail before, but nothing like Starbucks! My back, feet, hands are always aching after I work. I've cut myself, have had boiling hot water dropped on me, and slipped and fell - oh well....guess it comes with the territory. The customers can be really nasty, so you better like "sucking up" and "biting your inner cheek" ALOT!

Advice to Management

My store manager sets the "tone" and "style" of the store. No advice except - keep up the wonderful work you do! All the partners work incredibly well together.

2. "Maybe its just the airport"

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Denver, CO

I have been working at Starbucks part-time

Pros

Travel time to the airport
    Two weeks of trainings
    Didn't realize how full of sugar everything really is
    Next promotion is only 25cents
    Unsanitary
    Have to pay for all food and drinks outside of training
    Unorganized
    Felt like I was working with a bunch of kids or just really inexperienced adults...
    Dirty hands always touching brim or cups where customers put mouths... Drove me wild!!
    Use same dairy utensils for everything
    Mix dairy and nondairy pitchers
    Lightly spray utensils down, no soap
    Does not recycle anything ans wastes a looot
    Low pay

Cons

Tuition reimbusement if full time
    Meal credit for working in the airport
    Easy work
    People are generally relaxed

Advice to Management

Organize systems for evrything
    Do not put hands on brims of cups!! (I've seen management do this)

3. "Free College--Low Wages"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a pretty solid culture, values, and benefits. They will even pay for you to attend college (for both part-time and full-time partners).

Cons

Low and unfair wages that do not allow partners to be able to even afford rent. I took part in the College Achievement program (where they pay for your tuition), however they push you to work long hours and string you along in order to get promotion. Ultimately, this program is great for those who are still living with their parents or have a spouse to help support them.
    I was personally strung along for a year being told I would be interviewed for a promotion to assistant store manager. I was scheduled for an interview at the head office in Denver, on July of 2015. Although my name was on the schedule, a previous District Manager (that ignored my greetings and presence) had me wait half an hour and she interviewed someone from another location. They later had a store manager still "interview" me and then tell me that at the end that I was there for development day.

This type of issue is not uncommon or unheard of within the company. Politics plays a big role in some district managers' decision-making in Denver. Some will offer positions as assistant store managers to partners who are quitting, even though they lack the work ethic, alignment with values, and experience for the position.

Advice to Management

Regional Managers need to follow up with district managers on hiring of store managers and assistant store managers. They need to check behind the work of district managers in the promotion process to prevent biased choices.

4. "Starbucks Review"

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Denver, CO

I worked at Starbucks (More than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced environment, free coffee, mutual struggle among employees. Baristas are great!

Cons

Low Pay, customers are extremely rude, and the balance between getting drinks out quickly and creating the mermaid/dinosaur/pokemon/extra mocha frappucinos is very delicate.

Advice to Management

Either do not rush us, or do not make us make those stupid drinks. Also, higher pay.. we deal with a large amount of nonsense from employees, management, and ESPECIALLY customers.

5. "Barista"

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee, some regulars can be really cool, and a lot of times baristas become friends outside of work.

Cons

Customers can be awful and rude. It's a service job, and Starbucks is crunching labor at the moment. It can be really challenging, and your manager and shifts definitely make or break the job for you. It can be the coolest job or the worst job depending on whose in charge of your store.

Advice to Management

Quit tightening labor so much. It makes the baristas and the customers unhappy.

6. "Learn Task Sequencing"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Denver, CO

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful environment to learn the art of customer service, efficiency and leadership.

Cons

It really depends on which store you're working at. My experience at a Corporate Drive Thru store was far inferior to a licensed store I worked at on campus. But once you work at one starbucks you can basically work at any starbucks.

Advice to Management

Follow the procedure and be nice. Let your employees contribute their true talents.

7. "Grow as a customer service representative, food service prep, communication, and flexibility improvements"

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, new skills that excite any foodie. Coffee knowledge helps to motivate baristas to learn more about talking about coffee and creating beverages. Regular customers make the job meaningful and make me excited to see these friends I would never meet without this job.

Cons

Working with others in a stressful environment doesn’t always rule, attitudes can flare, and misunderstandings can occur.

Customers don’t always know what they want, but get angry when it’s “not right”

Advice to Management

Visit your stores more often. Talk to partners to understand what corporate changes (like ticket stickers appearance or how new launch announcements will affect us differently.)

Create better communication between warehouses/delivery and stores. Customers can be brutal.

8. "Great for Part time"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Denver, CO

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free coffee, met many customers I have made life long friendships with, free food markout a day, free tuition for ASU online, flexible hours

Cons

short training, overworked and underpaid, depending on your store you could have a terrible manager, seasonal drinks you must learn in just days,

Advice to Management

Make training longer, Starbucks should really have a different method for raises because it is not fair; not everybody deserves the same exact pay increase

9. "Rough management"

Former Employee - Barista in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Barista in Denver, CO

I worked at Starbucks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tge people are awesome, free coffe, and the tips are nice.

Cons

Their workers comp/insurence is a pain to deal with, management at my store was terrible, people don't stay long

10. "It's an ok place to work"

Current Employee - Barista in Denver, CO

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits. Community. Really feel cared for

Cons

The hours are pretty bad and the pay is really low

Showing 99 of 16,577 reviews