Starbucks Reviews in Greenville, SC | Glassdoor

2.3
Starbucks President & CEO Kevin Johnson
Kevin Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Starbucks offers a wicked comprehensive benefits plan to part time employees (who work (in 1034 reviews)

• Free pound of coffee every week (in 519 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor it can be difficult to have any semblance of a work-life balance (in 322 reviews)

• If you are working in a retail store it is a fast paced environment which can eventually take a toll (in 405 reviews)

1. "Good if you love to clean"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Greenville, SC

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free drinks and a free sandwich per meal
    Generally good people to work with and the atmosphere is fun to socialize with customers

Cons

Your a glorified janitor who happens to make drinks.
    The store culture is really determined by the store manager and it can be rough when there is dissension amidst the workers.

2. "Barista"

Former Employee - Barista in Greenville, SC

I worked at Starbucks (Less than a year)

Pros

- College reimbursement: Offers a college program which can be useful for some, however after assessing the route I wanted to take, it quickly became of less value to me.
    - Nice co-workers: Nearly all the baristas I worked with were very nice and helped me out when I had questions at the register.
    - Free coffee: A free 1-pound bag of coffee per week on the house is a nice touch, however you should value its worth when you weigh out the cons.

Cons

- No training: Nonexistent. On my first day after the computer training, I was assigned a support role which consisted of dishes, refilling coffee taps, taking out garbage, condiments, etc. I had been "assigned" a trainer that day but someone called out with no replacement. I figured I'd give the next day another chance. Still no trainer. Long story short, I had no trainer for the entire time I had worked - so I had to wing it, consequently messing up some drink orders on register.

- Little to no hours: Every one of my shifts were generally 3-5 hours in length. For a 30-35 minute commute, it can be deemed almost not worth it.

- Shortened shifts: Every shift I've had was shortened being sent home early from too many baristas working.

- Poor scheduling: At the current week of writing this, I had been scheduled ONLY one day, Friday, from 1-6p and what was supposed to be a 5-hour shift became a 3-hour and 45-minute one. Next week I had 0 hours scheduled.

Advice to Management

Don't take on another barista at a location if your schedule is overbooked.

3. "Great benefits, terrible job."

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The CAP program is fantastic for helping you go back to school.
    Potential to advance is always present to those that want it.

Cons

Work-life balance at the shift supervisor level or above is abysmal.
    Pay is not worth the effort the job requires.
    District Managers do not care about you as an individual, regardless of your role in the store. It's purely business. You don't matter, your family ESPECIALLY doesn't matter.

Advice to Management

NEVER tell your store manager that they need to make their store their number one priority over their family.

Stop forcing people that love the company out the door by way of promoting or encouraging awful people into store management positions while letting the good ones go or forcing them out.

Stop forcing your store managers to work 60+ hours a week for $40,000 a year under threat of demotion/removal.

Stop valuing metrics over people.

This is NOT a company you want to go near whatsoever if you value time with your family. Full stop.

4. "Barista at SC Starbucks"

Current Employee - Barista in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free pound of coffee or tea every week.
    Free shift drinks.
    Healthcare and 401K, they match up to 4%.

Cons

Inconsistent hours.
    Rude customers and management.
    Everyone isn't held to the same standards or rules within my district, which is really annoying.

Advice to Management

Be consistent when enforcing rules. More consistent schedules.

5. "Hard hours but great company"

Former Employee - Partner in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Partner in Greenville, SC

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Starbucks has wonderful benefits available such as quality insurance for part-time employees. They genuinely care about the well being of their employees and it's evident through the benefits (insurance, stocks, paid leaves of absence)

Cons

The hours can be grueling. I worked on the morning shift and opened at 5am for 5 days out of the week. It's rough at times but working the early mornings allowed me to have afternoons and evenings available for other jobs.

They pay is also minimal. I started out at minimum wage and due to the pay structure, only made about 50 cents more after 2 years of being there.

Advice to Management

Better compensation and more flexibility in schedules would be wonderful.

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Barista in Greenville, SC

Pros

Excellent co-workers and hours. You get paid tips in addition to base pay. You won't be rich, but can finish college.

Cons

busy busy busy always busy. A lot to clean and prep for everyday. very early mornings and late nights. Not enough hours to go around .

"Past ASM."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Greenville, SC

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Easy to move up in the company
    Great pay for upper management (at least in my old district... It's different everywhere)

Cons

District Managers
    No work life balance once you get up to the ASM position: they only pay you for 40hrs but in reality you're there 50-60 doing the store managers Job.

Advice to Management

District Managers should focus on how the Store Managers are doing (sales, waste, etc) and spend less time harassing partners who are slinging coffee 39.99 hours per week for things so small as drinking water where a customer can see you.

8. "Very friendly company, good benefits, but does depend on the store."

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, free drinks and food. Easy and laid back work environment.

Cons

Stressful at times. Fast paced environment. Varies a lot based on store.

Advice to Management

Communication is important for keeping teams healthy and happy.

9. "Good work environment"

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work environment! Has great benefits. Love the weekly and daily benefits of being a partner at Starbucks

Cons

No real cons at working at Starbucks. One could say that the base pay could be more.

"Given the right middle management, this can be a good company to work for. It's a great place to network."

Former Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Greenville, SC

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Store culture is great, flexible, healthcare, gain great coffee and business knowledge, great place to network, discounts and perk are good. Overall, is a decent place to work.

Cons

Pay is not great but you can make "ok" money once you get into management. Too much middle management trying to justify their jobs. They claim to be "out of box" thinkers and want new ideas but there usually repercussions for doing so...

Advice to Management

Clean house on your district and regional level management! There are too many layers between the man at the top: with great ideas, vision and passion for what the company is suppose to be. The message gets so diluted by the time it reaches the store level-you know the level in where the money is made, provides the 2nd place and keeps the customers coming back-these mid-level manager are just trying to justify their jobs without actually producing anything. Focus on your store managers and store partners.

Showing 16 of 14,810 reviews