Starbucks Reviews in Hawaii | Glassdoor

4.0
Starbucks President & CEO Kevin Johnson
Kevin Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Starbucks offers a wicked comprehensive benefits plan to part time employees (who work (in 1021 reviews)

• free pound of coffee or box of tea every week (in 509 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor it can be difficult to have any semblance of a work-life balance (in 318 reviews)

• If you are working in a retail store it is a fast paced environment which can eventually take a toll (in 400 reviews)

1. "Hard Work"

Current Employee - Barista in Kahala, HI
    Current Employee - Barista in Kahala, HI

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free drinks (during work), One free meal (during work), Discounts at any store, Friendly coworkers, Flexible Scheduling

Cons

Find right people to ask questions too (My bad lol)

Advice to Management

I love working here!

2. "Flexible, but stressful"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Honolulu, HI

Pros

Flexible work schedule, nice side perks (free pound of coffee each week, free food each shift)

Cons

Very stressful work environment. If you don't enjoy your coworkers, you may have a miserable time.

"Great Start!"

Former Employee - Barista in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Barista in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great job to have part-time during college. Benefits are good with medical and dental even for part-timers. Team is very supportive and positive. Job is usually flexible if you're a good worker.

Cons

Pay is what you would expect from a part-time job. If you're going to college, eventually you'll leave because it's just not enough to get by. Stress can get to supervisors or managers, so try to stay on their good side.

Advice to Management

It's important for supervisors and managers to manage stress, and stay professional. It can have a negative effect on the entire team if tension is high.

4. "Starbucks develops Stars!"

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Starbucks is a great company to enhance your personal development. I've been at this company a year, and they are great at recognizing people who work hard, work well within a team, and have flexible hours. I've been fortune enough to partake in the tuition reimbursement program, which is in partnership with ASU (Arizona State University). I also, have great medical, vision and dental benefits-- the best so far in the industry for part time workers. Free food items, and drinks always help to save on my tight budget! I think if you have a great management team, and work at a location where customers get to recognize the ever constant, but friendly barista behind the bar; this company will be a great experience for you. I look forward, to evolving, and learning more things along the way, in addition to compounding on my business acumen.

Cons

THE SECRET MENU!!! (when you become a barista, you'll have to learn this one soon....)

Customers can be a major pain-- especially on holidays or weekends. Nevertheless, the shifts are short, so not to worry.

The hourly pay for so much work, can be dismal. (right now I'm at $10.50/hr)-- Here in Hawaii, everyone basically needs two jobs, to cover monthly rent.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

5. "Fun and great benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Pros

It is a fun and fast paced work place. The people are very patient and friendly. You don't feel under appreciated at Starbucks.

Cons

You do work long hours and sometimes it can be tiring. Being on your feet for a long time consistently moving can be extremely tiring especially if you work two jobs

6. "Barista Trainer and Tip Distributer"

Former Employee - Barista Trainer in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Barista Trainer in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits: a free bag of coffee beans or tea every week, and up to 3 free drinks a day. 20% discount during year and 40% during holidays.
    Opportunities for promotions and moving up within the company. Employees are frequently encouraged to "develop" by going through a training program to move from barista to shift manager to store manager.

Cons

Low starting wage for the work and the expectation of knowledge about products and procedures, I started on about $8.50. The fast-paced environment can be anxiety inducing for new employees, and seasoned workers tend to be impatient, which can make for low employee retention.

Advice to Management

Make sure fellow baristas encourage and mentor new employees

7. "Store manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is a good work life balance

Cons

Not enough labor for what is expected

Advice to Management

Took a while

8. "Cleaner"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Pearl City, HI
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Pearl City, HI

I have been working at Starbucks (Less than a year)

Pros

Cleaning techniques, sense of responsibility, sense of giving back, sense of helping others, experience for a job.

Cons

Maintenance work, time consuming.

9. "Fun job in the early morning`"

Current Employee - Barista in Honolulu, HI

Pros

Free pound of coffee once a week, free food items at work

Cons

early hours, takes a long time to get promoted

10. "Good benefit"

Current Employee - Barista in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free drinks before & after shift, free meal & beverage during lunch (if you work over 6 hours). Free a pound of coffee each week. Good benefits including 401k

Cons

Not many work hours. If the store doesn't make target quota, managers cut down baristas hours. Only shift supervisors get more than 20 hours.

Advice to Management

In my opinion, my manager is good at managing a store. My store manager is not eager to train new employees and does not schedule people efficient way, so a lot of new employees don't know proper way to do the job fast and get done correctly.

Showing 33 of 14,518 reviews