Starbucks Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

3.9
Starbucks President & CEO Kevin Johnson
Kevin Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Starbucks offers a wicked comprehensive benefits plan to part time employees (who work (in 1069 reviews)

• Free pound of coffee every week (in 540 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor it can be difficult to have any semblance of a work-life balance (in 334 reviews)

• Fast paced stressful rude customers (in 437 reviews)

1. "Great incentives"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Harbor City, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Harbor City, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits for partners, 3 free coffees and 1 free free when you are working, opportunity to grow, and competitive pay

Cons

Sometimes they can be low on labor and staff which can become hard when it's busy. Otherwise it's a great company to work for.

Advice to Management

Schedule more labor

2. "Overall, a decent foundational job, yet may come with some important exceptions"

Former Employee - Barista in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid health coverage for partners who work 20+ hours a week
    Short-term counseling and psychiatric services (Employee Assistance Program)
    Education incentives (ASU) for interested partners
    Free drinks while working and 30 minutes before/after shift
    One free food item markout per shift (pastry, breakfast, or lunch item)
    One free retail markout per week (coffee, tea, or instant VIA packets)
    30% partner discount at all Starbucks and Teavana locations
    Good job for students
    Opportunities to build solid relationships (even friendships) with regular guests

Cons

The best advice for those considering a position at Starbucks: Be very picky and careful about which store location and district you choose to work in. I advise becoming a regular at the stores you'd like to work at, and to observe the partners behind the counter. Are they happy? Do they interact positively with each other and their store manager? How about with their guests?

Over the course of two years, I worked in two districts. The first district and store location operated successfully, passed its standard audits (QASA), was well-staffed, and had high morale.

The second district and store were entirely the opposite experience. The store had experienced a handful of different managers over the past year. They had not passed a single QASA audit in the time I worked there. The last manager I worked with yielded an overall negative morale from their partners. The floor was understaffed, the morale was low, and management was inefficient. Customers were aware of this, and some moved to other stores. Partners were reprimanded for minor, often forgivable, infractions that would not have necessarily been considered problematic in other stores/districts. Moreover, other partners were forced to transfer or face separation (termination), and if facing the latter outcome, were marked as "nonrehirable" despite a lack of misconduct.

While at the second store, I went through an exceptional incident in which I experienced verbal assault. This was a traumatic situation for me. A few weeks later, I was informed that I was receiving a corrective action for "distressing and aggravating" the other party, despite video evidence proving otherwise. No efforts were made to pull the video evidence nor examine it. This write-up was absolutely unfair, and showed a willful disregard for a partner's safety while on the floor. More emphasis was clearly placed on sales and customer loyalty than partner welfare. This incident ironically occurred during the roll-out of the "North Star" agenda, which strove to increase morale and bonding between partners, customers, and management. My experience working at the second store left me with a terrible impression of Starbucks as a company. No matter how many free drinks, discounts, and free bags of coffee you give your partners, if you do not care about their safety and well-being, they will not work or thrive effectively on the floor.

While this situation may be the exception to the norm, and while I do not doubt that there are strong, well-run districts and stores out there, please be aware that poorly managed stores do exist. If you somehow find yourself in a poorly run district, transfer out as soon as possible to keep your morale intact, or find another position. The mental and emotional impact my latter experience yielded was unfortunately great enough to outweigh the benefits Starbucks offers its partners.

Advice to Management

Remember what the word "partner" ultimately means. It denotes teamwork and collaboration. Partners are humans -- while this is a retail and customer service job, often temporary for many partners, their morale, experience on the floor, and welfare matter in running a successful store (and ultimately, a successful district). Please treat your partners with the respect, kindness, and empathy that you ask from them. We may be easily replaceable, but you risk losing strong, well-trained partners if you prioritize numbers over the quality of service -- and that depends largely on the morale on the floor. If your partners are unhappy, don't blame them for their unhappiness nor make them feel guilty for raising concerns-- ask them how things can improve, and most importantly, LISTEN to their feedback. If you truly want to uphold North Star and its "simplify" motto, be humble and meet your partners at their level.

3. "Kills your faith in humanity"

Current Employee - Starbucks Shift Lead in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Starbucks Shift Lead in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits/fringe benefits! Social and upbeat atmosphere. Transfer practically anywhere.

Cons

Weird hours. Very physically demanding. Mean customers. Poor management. Not enough support (always chaotic).

Advice to Management

Offer a bump in pay to employees working at busier stores (or create a "qasa" crew to do all cleaning). Update the inventory management system (internal theft is huge).

4. "barista"

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Mission Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Mission Viejo, CA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in a fast moving environment makes the day go by fast.

Cons

The pay is low. Training is HORRIBLE! I really wish that they would let you shadow someone to learn the job prior to being on the floor on your own not having a clue how the system works

Advice to Management

Better Training methods

5. "It's not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Barista in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun people to work with

Cons

It's turned into a low paying fast food job. Company culture is not what it used to be.

6. "Not bad to start"

Current Employee - Barista in Baldwin Park, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in Baldwin Park, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stock
    Benefits
    Tips
    Free drinks
    Free food item each shift

Cons

Retail Service
    On feet
    Work you to bone
    10 min break, 5 min to get drink
    Favoritism

7. "Its a chill job"

Current Employee - Barista in La Puente, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in La Puente, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tips weekly
    Great environment
    Great teamwork
    Tuition reimbursement
    Free tea/coffee markouts weekly
    4-5 work days per week
    Free online degree program through ASU

Cons

Hours are less than 30 hours a week
    Sometimes don't go by availability
    Manager favoritism
    They send you home early even when scheduled until a cenrtain time

8. "Shift supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible hours, free coffee.

Cons

lousy leadership, and there was always a push to up sell. It never felt like the employers cared.

9. "Disorganized, no life balance"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Fountain Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Fountain Valley, CA

I worked at Starbucks (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility in work location, most co-workers are friendly

Cons

The company philosophy is great, too bad it is not carried down to the regional offices. Work - life balance- there is none, all work, work, work. Benefits are just so-so, very disorganized, real estate group is not savy enough for difficult deals so they drag on, design cannot make a decision because their direction from upper management is not clear, so slows down process and cannot keep projects on schedule.
    No growth opportunities

Advice to Management

Look at your internal structure of design and real estate so the flow is better. The job should not be as difficult as it is made to be by management.

10. "Starbucks Barista"

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great job if you're going to school full-time and need the benefits

Cons

Can be very demanding working at high volume store with little pay.

Advice to Management

Don't focus on sales and focus on building relationships.

Showing 593 of 15,529 reviews