Starbucks Reviews in Oregon | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz

Pros
  • benefits for part-time employees (in 947 reviews)

• A pound of coffee mark out every week (in 480 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be challenging to maintain (in 299 reviews)

• Cons for working for this company include early shift times and fast paced workdays (in 364 reviews)

1. "Basic Work and Average Pay"

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility is everything when you are a college undergraduate.
    Tips, cash cash money (especially if you work in a busy store)
    Customer Connection (you have general time to talk to customers, ie when you are not making drinks)

Cons

Management can be a big deal, however, there ARE gems at specific stores. The best option is to transfer stores until you find an environment (and managing staff) that fits best with your personality.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

2. "Great company with amazing benefits."

Former Employee - Barista in Albany, OR
    Former Employee - Barista in Albany, OR

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diversity in co workers makes for a fun environment.
    Extremely good benefits
    Feels like you're part of a family
    You create a relationship with all your customers

Cons

Can get stressful
    They call you to come in on your days off
    Sometimes you don't get a break for a long time

Advice to Management

Stop calling employees to come in on days off. Once you agree to do it one time they expect you to do it every time.

3. "Great company and great place to work! If..you are at the right store"

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Portland, OR

I worked at Starbucks (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits - healthcare if needed. You get as many free drinks as you want for the entire time you are working. One free food item per shift, AND a pound of coffee or kcups, or tea markout every week! Tips every week. When you quit, you get stocks which I think is based on how long you worked for the company determines the amount you get.

Cons

Rude customers - but you get rude people wherever you work.
    Your experience truly depends on who you work with and who you work for. Luckily for me, I had a GREAT first store. After I moved states, I transferred stores and the experience and job was everything but great.

Advice to Management

Encourage a healthy work environment - after I moved stores to a CA location, I was treated below, and very poorly which lead to me quitting. Which was highly disappointed, because I loved my job at my previous store.

5. "Great company, except for customers"

Current Employee - Barista in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Barista in Portland, OR

Pros

Good structure/organization. Most of the time fun coworkers.

Cons

Crappy customers, and constant push to upsell stuff.

6. "aweesome"

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Portland, OR

Pros

Great benefits, Excellent attitude, happy people, I really truly enjoy working here. Would most definitely reccomend working here

Cons

some of the downsides to working here would have to be the amount of time you stand on your feet and how quickly the orders come in. it can get overwhelming at times

Advice to Management

have patience with new employees but overall keep doing what youre doing. starbucks is pretty dang swell if I do say so myself

7. "The Life of Starbucks"

Former Employee - Barista/Shift Lead in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Barista/Shift Lead in Portland, OR

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Thourough training. Supportive store managers. lots of room to grow. Free coffee. Free weekly pounds of coffee. Full time work, or part time to barely any hours if you wanted. The way Starbucks is set up is you are trained with so many resources that it's hard to not know how to do something.

Cons

They only give you coffee and unhealthy breakfast sandwiches and pastries. They aren't consistent with what they claim to be. No proper recycling or composting is ever enforced... at least in both stores I worked at in the Portland area. Don't give their managers enough support.

Advice to Management

Management will never fire a partner who isn't a team player. No matter how negative the partner is, they will always be employed. I think there needs to be a better weeding process to get rid of negative partners who make the stores tone negative. That's why you see frowning people working in a lot of Starbucks and why so many are stand off-ish. It's hard to enjoy the job with a negative team that isn't functioning.

8. "Good Company, Great benefits"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Portland, OR

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gifted stock shares each year if you qualify. Allowed free coffee and food during your shifts. Great promotion opportunities if you actively go after them. From time to time gifts from corporate as a show of appreciation, whether that is a tangible gift, money, or letter of encouragement.

Cons

Feel like your just an employee at times. It feels like it has become less and less about customer connection.

Advice to Management

Seek advice from the shifts and baristas more. Not "staged" advice, real brutally honest advice. Each new promotion item or display feels like it has been worked on and submitted by corporate and not by someone who would have to work with it each and every day.

9. "Mostly Great"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Store managers have their hand in a lot of different pots-- finance, HR, operations, etc. You can learn a lot about business working here and develop a really strong business acumen. Total pay package (salary, bonus, stock, and other perks) is decent considering the job. Vibrant corporate culture when the environment is right.

Cons

Senior field leadership can be hit or miss and if you do not have a passionate, engaged district manager, you won't learn and develop as much. Bonus structure is based purely off comparative sales from the prior year so things that are beyond your control impact your ability to get one. You can end up working A LOT of hours if your employees call out and you cannot find coverage for essential shifts since you basically have to work them. Lack of promotion opportunities in most areas unless you want to be a district manager or are willing to move to Seattle or another city.

10. "Good"

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Portland, OR

Pros

good perks. flexible hours. free coffee and food. insurance and education.
    Can work at other stores too

Cons

overwork you for the pay. Cleaning is aggressive especially during mid day shift. Really hard to get through a regular 8 hour shift because you meed to stand so much

11. "Barista"

Current Employee - Barsita in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Barsita in Portland, OR

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, free coffee, fun coworkers, meet lots of people especially regulars. Once your learn your drinks and where everything in the store is you get in a nice routine that becomes rather easy.

Cons

Work got boring after awhile. Sometime making drinks for 2-3 hours straight can put you in a pretty bad mood. People like to take advantage of the corporation. Saying that their drink is bad because they want another. Or even really complicated drinks are sort of funny.

Advice to Management

Management is over worked and should not have to cover so many areas. A shift supervisor could be put into a more responsible role to help out the store manager. Scheduled 6 month check ups never came through because of how busy my manager was.

Showing 123 of 12,998 reviews