Starbucks Reviews | Glassdoor

2,320 Ratings

19,379 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great People!"

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful company to work for
    Great benefits

Cons

Can be a hectic environment

Advice to Management

Notice great work, though you are overall doing excellent things.

"Great company if you can handle it"

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Advice to Management

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

3. "social life"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abilene, TX

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some of my best friendships have formed by working here. It was especially helpful during college, to meet lots of new people.

Cons

The biggest issue that still affects me today, is my feet! I had bad feet to begin with, but standing all day only made it worse. It sounds silly, but take care of your feet!

4. "Friendly work environment"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Encourages friendly customer service; build great rapport with customers

Cons

Baristas can be very passive-aggressive on rules based off of oral myth and not the training guide

5. "Barista"

I worked at Starbucks part-time

Pros

Fun work environment, free beverages, employee recognition

Cons

Work hours could be inconsistent

6. "Shift Manager"

I worked at Starbucks full-time

Pros

Tuition reimbursement, stock options, environment.

Cons

Pay should be higher at high volume stores.

7. "Excellent"

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Houston, TX

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Offeres one of the best packages for it's partners

Cons

The rude and entitled customers.

8. "Good Experience"

I worked at Starbucks full-time

Pros

You get pretty good benefits: Optional bonuses, health, and 401k plans, free coffee and food, Spotify Premium. You get to know some of the regulars very well, and making the drinks can be fun.

Cons

It is very stressful at times, especially during the weekends. You're constantly on your feet, so be prepared for sore feet.

9. "Great Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Castro Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Castro Valley, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in a heavily populated store and learned how to think quickly on my feet. I feel like it's set me up for life :)

Cons

It all depends on the store you're at. The manager at my store was going through some personal stuff and it affected the staff.

10. "Barista"

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- I love the company, they have amazing benefits and health care plan for even part timers such as myself.
    - It can be busy but if you have a great team everything goes smoothly.
    - Great training and flexible hours.

Cons

- Difficult customers can always ruin your day.

Showing 19,379 of 19,549 reviews