Starbucks Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Barista"

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Bellflower, CA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Bellflower, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would be a great worker at starbuck because I have great social skills. Also I am a quick and active learner. I have not worked before but I feel this would be a great way to start. Starbuck I feel would be fun to work at because I learn and grow from the work experience .

Cons

I have not worked before. I would be a little nervous. I will do my best in everything I would do. The people won’t be a promblem neither I have a thick skin. There are no cons with this company

Advice to Management

I think the management would be great with teamwork and having a friendly environment. We will all be a team. Have good attitudes forwards each other .

"Great company if you can handle it"

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Advice to Management

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

"The company is great, but you always have hiccups along the way!"

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits (there's way too many for me to list, Google it and look them up for yourself...it's worth it).
    Great work environment, if your store has the Starbucks culture at it's core. But, not every manager is the same and you will occassionally find the bad ones.
    Flexibility in your schedule.
    You're treated like a real human that matters, not simply just like a number.

Cons

Sometimes partners just don't fully understand the Starbucks culture and no matter what level they are (the higher it is the more issues they cause) they mess things up.

Advice to Management

Promoting from within helps to create the culture within new leaders. Help develop SM's more to get them next level ready if they take the initiative to want to learn something new, let them. Don't restrict them based on #s.

4. "Barista"

Pros

Flexible schedule, free coffee, free food, vacation time, health benefits, school opportunities, plenty of ways to move in the company.

Cons

a little difficult to promote from within when they hire so many external people.

Advice to Management

Make sure you don't forget about the people in your stores that want to move forward. Many people have a desire, but may not have the support.

5. "Benefits to keep you trapped"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Unique environment depending on the partners at your store. The employee benefits really can't be beat

Cons

Low pay and customers are the absolute worst. Starbucks has definitely created the monsters of customers we get

"Great place to work part-time"

I worked at Starbucks part-time

Pros

Flexible scheduling, great people, nice tip

Cons

It all depends on your manager

"Starbucks Barista"

I have been working at Starbucks full-time

Pros

Very receptive to employee feedback, excellent benefits and pay rates.

Cons

Peak hours can be very stressful.

"Barista"

I worked at Starbucks full-time

Pros

flexible work hours, great company benefits

Cons

need to be a multitasker

9. "Stay as a barista, being management is stressful"

Former Employee - Shift Lead in Lawndale, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Lead in Lawndale, CA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers, free drinks and food, discount at every other Starbucks

Cons

There is no cleaning crew, the partners have do all the cleaning.

"Fast Paced, Little Training"

Former Employee - Barista in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved the people I worked with. My manager was flexible on my hours and always worked with me when I had conflicts with the schedule.

Cons

I worked at an extremely busy location, so no one ever took the time to completely train me. Because of this, even 6 months in I felt I still hadn't learned everything I should have already known.

Showing 18,074 of 18,224 reviews