Starbucks Reviews | Glassdoor

Starbucks President & CEO Kevin Johnson
Kevin Johnson

14,775 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Starbucks offers a wicked comprehensive benefits plan to part time employees (who work (in 1034 reviews)

• Free pound of coffee every week (in 519 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor it can be difficult to have any semblance of a work-life balance (in 322 reviews)

• If you are working in a retail store it is a fast paced environment which can eventually take a toll (in 405 reviews)

"Great company if you can handle it"

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Advice to Management

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

2. "Overall Great Place"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible scheduling and a positive environment. It is very easy to be promoted from a barista to a supervisor. Store managers do an excellent job of developing partners and it is all around a great place to work.

Cons

It is very difficult to be promoted higher than a shift supervisor, early work hours are sometimes difficult to adjust to.

Advice to Management

Invest and promote easier from shift supervisor to Assistant Manager instead of making the supervisors jump through so many hoops while you string along the possibility of one day getting promoted.

"Lack Luster"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible scheduling. Great coffee.

Cons

Poor pay/work ratio. Demanding expectation. No work-life balance. Poor training. One store fits all scenarios/expectations. All the time we're told it's "our business, own it" yet the parameters are set to accommodate all store types yet this is not accurately functional.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate pay scale to benefits and the training program time frame/materials.

4. "SBUX"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, perks, flexible schedule, fun team to work with.

Cons

Very stressful, if one person doesn't show up to a shift then the rest of the team is screwed over, DM's take forever to develop and promote people, under paid and over worked.

Advice to Management

STOP HIRING OUTSIDE HIRES AS MANAGERS

5. "Barista- Fun time great experience"

Former Employee - Barista in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Barista in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn a lot on multi-tasking and great quality assurance training

Cons

Super fast paced, work under pressure a lot

6. "loved it"

Former Employee - Barista in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

i loved working at starbucks

Cons

the manager sexually haressed me when i was 16

Advice to Management

dont let something like that happen again

7. "Great work culture"

Current Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great collaboration with teams, Good work life balance, Constant innovation for improving customer experience

Cons

Do not have any specific

"Some comments"

I worked at Starbucks full-time

Pros

Steady work, flexible hours, good benefits, mostly friendly coworkers, and a willingness to work with school schedules.

Cons

Stress from dealing with customers; occasionally long and/or early hours which can contribute to health problems. Frequent changes in procedures and products, often seemingly designed by people who aren't working at the store level.

Advice to Management

Higher base pay for baristas would be more than justified by the stress and inconvenient hours, and would contribute to employee retention. It would also help if upper management positions would work whole days in a store once in a while.

"Store Manager"

I have been working at Starbucks full-time

Pros

-Great Benefits
    -Flexible Hours
    -Great Culture
    -Great Company

Cons

-Always on call
    -Crazy Store hours

10. "Working as a Barista at Starbucks"

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Starbucks part-time

Pros

Free Food and Drinks on the clock
    Great energy
    decent pay for a highschool or college student

Cons

Boss weird
    i worked there for 5 months and they barely let me make drinks or barely trained me on how to make drinks so the whole time i was there I worked the register.
    NEEDS BETTER TRAINER.

Advice to Management

Try to hire managers that are not creeps and won't try to take advantage of young girls.

Showing 14,775 of 14,876 reviews