Starbucks Reviews | Glassdoor

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
7,402 Ratings

12,887 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • benefits for part-time employees (in 947 reviews)

• A pound of coffee mark out every week (in 480 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be challenging to maintain (in 299 reviews)

• Cons for working for this company include early shift times and fast paced workdays (in 364 reviews)

"Great company if you can handle it"

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Advice to Management

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

2. "Awesome company"

I have been working at Starbucks part-time

Pros

Great job environment with opportunities for growth (even they pay for your studies).

Cons

There are no cons; if you are willing to work hard and learn you get a valuable job experience in retail and customer service. This experience also will further develop soft skills that are necessary to any type of job.

Advice to Management

You are doing great! Keep the good work and improving the benefits for all employees.

3. "director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Growth oriented, values-driven, high energy and open mindset company.

Cons

Parking at the SSC is a challenge for new employees.

Advice to Management

Continue with your communications - they have gotten better and better over the years, making it easy for employees to see how they are part of delivering business value.
    Please fix the parking situation, improve on collaboration tools for remote working, and create better succession plans especially for our military personnel. They come in with Leadership skills that are largely untapped while they learn functional area. There should be a path to providing rotational programs.

5. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Starbucks full-time

Pros

Very good benefits and company will work with your schedule to maintain the hours you need.

Cons

New promotions can come around too fast and leave you feeling overwhelmed.

6. "working for starbucks"

I have been working at Starbucks (Less than a year)

Pros

the job is easy to pick up, the environment is friendly, my managers are awesome. You bond with the customers and get to talk to them when the work is slow in the store. There is always something to do, even if there are no customers.

Cons

a lot of work sometimes when it gets busy, supervisor seem to overuse their authority so be careful, they can stress you out, Stores work as franchises so not every starbucks works the same, mine is privately owned and so some deals that other starbucks participate in, we do not participate and customers get upset with this sometimes but its out store policy.

Advice to Management

I enjoy my job, I love serving others and being there to provide help wherever I can. I get along with the other baristas and the supervisors and managers, but when it comes time to get serious during work, the supervisors i guess get stressed out a bit too much they start talking to the baristas differently and eventually we get stressed out and tired from the work. My experience working for dunkin donuts was honestly the best job I have ever had. The whole staff along with the shift leader and the manager were always communicating well with each other, everyone is so funny and talented in their own way and they have become a second family to me. I can say the same for my starbucks family, but when its time to get serious during work, it's very serious and stressful. Doing my job almost becomes exhausting and I have worked longer hours for a while in my previous job, never felt exhausted. I would love it if supervisor had the same passion as they do in their regular lives inside the workplace, maybe then it wouldn't be a stressful place to work in.

7. "Barista"

I worked at Starbucks full-time

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay, overall ok

Cons

Don't move people up quick enough

8. "Great company!"

I have been working at Starbucks full-time

Pros

Benefits, discounts, promotion opportunity, coffee store

Cons

Lack of development amongst management

Advice to Management

Take your development seriously

9. "barista"

I have been working at Starbucks full-time

Pros

free or discounted drinks and food, free ASU, tips, staff, flexible hours

Cons

angry consumers. staff, seniority, hours

10. "Great job, but depends on good management"

I have been working at Starbucks part-time

Pros

- Great benefits
    - Generally good people
    - Most customers aren't the jerks you read about online

Cons

- Those bad customers do exist, and you'll do whatever you can to get rid of them.
    - If you don't have a good manager, your life will be hell
    - Things will change at the drop of a hat and you won't be informed of changes until you do something wrong by the new standard

11. "Pros and cons working at starbucks"

Pros

being around coffee, good benefits

Cons

Shipments were sometimes late or wrong

Advice to Management

more people working when is busy

Showing 12,887 of 12,968 reviews