Starbucks Reviews | Glassdoor

Starbucks President & CEO Kevin Johnson
Kevin Johnson

14,751 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Starbucks offers a wicked comprehensive benefits plan to part time employees (who work (in 1034 reviews)

• Free pound of coffee every week (in 519 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor it can be difficult to have any semblance of a work-life balance (in 322 reviews)

• If you are working in a retail store it is a fast paced environment which can eventually take a toll (in 405 reviews)

"Great company if you can handle it"

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Advice to Management

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

"Lack Luster"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible scheduling. Great coffee.

Cons

Poor pay/work ratio. Demanding expectation. No work-life balance. Poor training. One store fits all scenarios/expectations. All the time we're told it's "our business, own it" yet the parameters are set to accommodate all store types yet this is not accurately functional.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate pay scale to benefits and the training program time frame/materials.

"Store Manager"

I have been working at Starbucks full-time

Pros

-Great Benefits
    -Flexible Hours
    -Great Culture
    -Great Company

Cons

-Always on call
    -Crazy Store hours

"Some comments"

I worked at Starbucks full-time

Pros

Steady work, flexible hours, good benefits, mostly friendly coworkers, and a willingness to work with school schedules.

Cons

Stress from dealing with customers; occasionally long and/or early hours which can contribute to health problems. Frequent changes in procedures and products, often seemingly designed by people who aren't working at the store level.

Advice to Management

Higher base pay for baristas would be more than justified by the stress and inconvenient hours, and would contribute to employee retention. It would also help if upper management positions would work whole days in a store once in a while.

"LOTS to learn and do."

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Great benefits. Flexible scheduling.

Cons

You will feel like a robot.

Advice to Management

"There is still a deep sense of pride and loyalty. But everyday that sense is undercut by the company’s persistent move towards leaner labor models. Everyday that sense is undercut by tenured employees who make little more than new hires, with few prospects for bettering their position. Everyday that sense is undercut by employees who feel that more responsibilities and higher expectations are outpacing support from upper management.

Everyday that sense is undercut by employees who feel the strain of being asked to be all things to all people:
    Fast as a vending machine, warm as an old friend, knowledgeable and craft-oriented as a proud chef. They must find ways to put coffee front and center while still catering to a customer-base that turns out in droves for color-changing sugar-milk named for mythical beings."

6. "This is a company that values its people from partners to customers."

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Brookhaven, NY
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Brookhaven, NY

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel appreciated from my store manager, and my district manager. I have such a tight knit relationship with all of the partners in my store. I know how to work with each one of them, and no matter what is thrown our way I will stand with them to get through it. It's also, in my opinion, a really fun job.

Cons

It gets tough to achieve as much deep cleaning as needed with the provided staffing that is what our labor calls for. Sometimes I wish I was paid more, but understand that I'd have that wish any where else, and should be happy that I enjoy my job so much.

7. "It’s a wonderful company to work for with amazing benefits."

Current Employee - Barista in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Barista in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

School and health benefits, environment, free coffee, the public and building relationship with not only your team but with the customers. We’re like one big family.

Cons

You definitely have some nasty people that you will come across but it’s a great job. Lots of cleaning though.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing.

8. "I'm a new hire! I will start my training next week. My store manager shared her story; she started from the bottom @16"

Current Employee - Barista Starbucks in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Barista Starbucks in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employee benefits& perks.
    They say out of a 100 customers, 99% are positive experience.

Cons

1. Have to meet the demands of being in a fast paced environment.
    2. Customers tend to customize their drinks w. difficult specifications.

Advice to Management

N/A
    Just don't keep the store understaffed!

9. "Company takes amazing care of its employees"

Former Employee - Barista in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Barista in New York, NY

I worked at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits
    Flexibility
    Compassionate staff
    Ethically the best company out there, the fact that they pay for school for part time employees is amazing.

Cons

Pay. It is a coffee shop job after all so it's not like you can demand more then it's worth, but it's still a con nonetheless I suppose.

Advice to Management

None. They're honestly doing an incredible job!

10. "Okay College-Job"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, stocks, 401-k, free coffee!

Cons

Too demanding, management too intense and overbearing, it's just coffee after all. Customers are conditioned to treat employees poorly.

Showing 14,751 of 14,852 reviews