Starbucks Reviews | Glassdoor

1,543 Ratings

17,411 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

I have been working at Starbucks full-time

Pros

Fun, great people, lots of cool regulars

Cons

Customers, repetitive, and you have to follow a dress code that your manager enforces

"Great company if you can handle it"

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Advice to Management

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

"Barista"

I have been working at Starbucks part-time

Pros

Great benefits, great people, great attitude at most stores, great for people who catch on quick

Cons

Some stores create the “Starbucks Experence” and some do not. Some store managers need to be re-evaluated.

Advice to Management

Listen to the baristas when they go to you for issues and don’t just believe the store managers

"Shift supervisor"

I worked at Starbucks full-time

Pros

Free drinks and coffee. Great work environment.

Cons

Waking up early and angry customers.

Advice to Management

Great place to work

I worked at Starbucks part-time

Pros

Free drinks and flexible hours

Cons

Low pay and you have to deal with bad customers

Advice to Management

Nothing!

6. "I recommend it."

I have been working at Starbucks full-time

Pros

You work around really good people in a relaxed environment. I didn't sense malice.

Cons

It's a corporation, so sometimes things go slower than you'd like.

"Nice Part Time Job"

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people to work with for a part time job

Cons

Couldn't see myself working there for a long time

"Great environment to work in!"

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Columbia, MO

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, fast paced, and supportive environment. Almost every employee was friendly and happy to be there. Training was helpful and they really teach you why they craft their drinks the way they do.

Cons

The stores are often under staffed making it difficult to stay up on task. Under staffed also meant that there was over scheduling against availability.

Advice to Management

Hire more baristas and employees to make for a more efficient experience.

9. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible Scheduling, Great benefits, Awesome Perks!

Cons

Bad Reputation, moody customers, not great for a first time job

Advice to Management

Don't hire managers outside of the company!

10. "barista"

I worked at Starbucks part-time

Pros

fun environment, flexible schedule, average pay

Cons

raises were by a couple of cents

Showing 17,411 of 17,554 reviews