Starbucks Reviews | Glassdoor

Kevin Johnson

6,569 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Hard to maintain work-life balance as lower management (in 357 reviews)

• Can be very fast paced, not for lazy or easily stressed people (in 460 reviews)

1. "Shift Supervisor"

I worked at Starbucks full-time

Pros

Great management experience
    Free coffee
    Great working environment
    Flexibility
    Tuition reimbursement
    Employee discount

Cons

Workdays may be extend occasionally(part of being supervisor)

"Great company if you can handle it"

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are out of sight. I was offered Starbucks stock after my first year, as well as 401k through Fidelity, and a superb Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan. You can cover your whole family with that plan, and it can include domestic partners. I got a pound of free coffee every week and free coffee all day (although I think that was specific to my store, which bent the rules). There's also an Employee Assistance Hotline which you can call if you're having issues in your personal life. And HR is really responsive--they won't see you as a troublemaker if you're legitimately having an issue. They will handle it.

Also, sexual orientation and gender identity are included in their anti-discrimination policy. None of the gay or lesbian people on my staff got crap for it, even though about half the staff was quietly conservative Christian and Republican.

If you're a people person, you develop relationships with the regulars and it's fun to make their day. I felt it was pretty rewarding to make drinks. I loved the artistic side of it. And again, the free coffee...just awesome.

They're also usually pretty flexible about scheduling, so it's ideal for if you're working two jobs or are a student. I worked with people in their 50's who had their own careers, but worked part-time at Starbucks for the health insurance.

The vacation time system is also pretty sweet. I worked with a guy who was there for 10 years and took like a month vacation to his home country.

The staffs can be really tight...or they can be really vicious. But a spirit of teamwork is definitely encouraged. And exemplary work is recognized.

In an 8-hour shift you get three breaks: one 30-minute clock-out lunch, and two 10-minute on the clock breaks.

You'll also occasionally get those amazing customers and you live for seeing them. We had four customers who every year each put 100 bucks in our tip jar around Christmas. Sometimes those people can make your day with the things they say and do.

Cons

If you work at a store worth their salt they will work you to the bone. Especially in a large or high-volume store there is so much to do, so much to clean. A morning shift person will have the absolutely insanity of a morning rush, but an evening person should be expected to handle evening rushes with a limited staff as WELL as get the place spotless in what I believe is not a reasonable time. We could get the place clean by 10:45, all right--if we broke the health and corporate rules about when to tear things down. And of course if that was ever found out we were in deep. And if we went over 10:45 we were also in trouble. Management sometimes has some very unrealistic ideas about what the job actually entails and what rules and boundaries should go with that.

The pay in my state starts near minimum wage. The ceiling for a barista is $10/hr, which you hit when you've been there about five years. But tips help, and some high-volume affluent stores will have tips up to $4/hr.

There's also a tendency to have fanatical management. Other "kindly" corporations like Whole Foods have this too--the managers drink the Kool-Aid and worship the company. I once spoke with my manager because my schedule was being changed with less than 24 hours notice, and that was against state law. She got this crazed look in her eye and spat "Starbucks law goes above state law!" But that's only a tendency. There are some pretty cool managers out there. Mine was insane.

The customers are spoiled rotten so they also get kind of unreasonable about their Starbucks. They will stand there and demand that you make a drink five times because there's still foam on that latte and they said NO foam, not LIGHT foam. This is a business model of Starbucks': everyone is special, and we will bend the rules for everybody. And I've had people scream at me and call me a (b) and promise me that they would make me lose my job. I've also had stuff thrown at me. But, that's also just customer service.

These last few years Starbucks has been obsessed with selling, too. There's a lot of pressure on the staff to make sure people go home with $15 bags of coffee and sub-par espresso machines. It's hard to maintain the relationships they want us to maintain while trying to sell stuff.

Overall, if you can put up with the customers and the physical demand, and if benefits are more important than income, do it. It's rewarding in its own way. Wear insoles.

Advice to Management

Drop the obsession with sales. You're damaging customer relationships and making yourself look like "Just another corporation."

3. "Part time Barista"

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Even working part time, starbucks employees can enjoy benifits such as personal health care plans, 401k's, and stock options.

Cons

Frequently my store is understaffed, requiring me to perform the work several people within the same amount of time as one. Also, calling out sick on a shift is impossible due to small crew size.

Advice to Management

See to it that partners are cared for. Frequently there are promotions for partner appreciation, however these are not always carried out.

4. "Barista"

I worked at Starbucks part-time

Pros

The perks are great. Free food and drink per shift, free pounds of coffee beans each week, and tips!

Cons

When I left Starbucks, they were cutting back on hours, but not being considerate of the workload. There was more work than people to do it.

"The manager makes the store"

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks

I worked at Starbucks (More than a year)

Pros

My initial store manager was amazing, she was super understanding and her focus was always on the customers. Upholding standards was important to her but the priority was service.

Cons

My second manager only cared about standards and performing under ALL the rules. Customer service was never the focus, and speed was her priority over quality. It was depressing and I ultimately quit because I hated feeling like I was JUST a barista.

Advice to Management

Making sure that all store managers reflect the Starbucks motto and values

6. "Barista"

I have been working at Starbucks part-time

Pros

A fun place to work lots of energy

Cons

Long hours and my feet hurt

7. "Shift Supervisor"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Union City, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Union City, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedule
    Social Life Intact
    Good Experiences
    Knowledgeable Co-workers

Cons

Some customers are ruthless
    Pay is not worth the position
    Learn on the spot instead of on the training
    Not much to move up in career unless as a manager
    Overtime if another shift supervisor calls out

8. "Barista"

I worked at Starbucks part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, fun work environment, fun incentives.

Cons

Couldn't work full time as a barista.

Advice to Management

N/A, They are an amazing company that really care about their employees.

9. "Manager"

I worked at Starbucks part-time

Pros

company offers great benefits to employees

Cons

you must like dealing with people

10. "Barista"

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Access to coffee and the discounts were nice.

Cons

The baristas at my store had a lot of drama. It did not make for a pleasant work experience

Showing 6,569 of 16,584 reviews