Starbucks Reviews | Glassdoor

Starbucks President & CEO Kevin Johnson
Kevin Johnson

16,053 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Starbucks offers a wicked comprehensive benefits plan to part time employees (who work (in 1105 reviews)

• Free pound of coffee every week (in 551 reviews)

Cons
  • as long as you manage work life balance it's a great job (in 345 reviews)

• Fast paced stressful rude customers (in 446 reviews)

1. "I would work there again..."

Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Starbucks takes great pride in its product... at least the coffee. Every employee is encouraged to gain the most knowledge possible about coffee through internal classes and programs. Sbux is great about the environment also; with recycling everything to encouraging staff to volunteer once a month and on Earth Day.

Cons

Working at corporate; parking sucks.

Advice to Management

Keep on...

2. "Barista raves over Starbucks"

Current Employee - Barista in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in San Jose, CA

Pros

I love my customers. The regulars really appreciate that I can get their drink started before they have order it. We have a real sense of team work at Starbucks, the managers are supportive and flexible to employees' various scheduling needs.

Cons

When you are new and the people all come in one time. Keeping the orders right is a challenge.

Advice to Management

Never forget where you started in your career.

"Chose your employer thoughtfully"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Birmingham, AL

Pros

The atmosphere forged between partners, and genuine enthusiasm expressed by regular customers. The encouragement of managers that allow for an open exchange of dialog that includes not only job specific concerns, but personal ones as well.

Cons

Depending on whom your store manager is a crucial factor in determining job satisfaction. You can either luck out and be placed with someone who is experienced and genuine, or you can wind up with a novice who unfortunately is learning on the job. The latter of which, in my opinion, tend to be of the sort not particularly open to receiving negative feedback.

Advice to Management

I've contacted my district manager in regards to incompetencies witnessed by my current store manager, and have been more than pleased with the way in which my concerns have been handled. Not only was her action swift, but she also took time to reassure me that I'd made the right decision to contact her.

4. "I like my job."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Omaha, NE

Pros

The people, customers and partners. Oppurtunities to work with and support local community. Ability to offer people a way to get afordable benefits.

Cons

Irregular hours and schedules. Pay could be higher, but the benefits are good.

Advice to Management

Reduce turnover, give tenured partners more access to new challenges. More communication from direct managers and leaders.

5. "Would recommend Starbucks as a great place to work!"

Former Employee - Partner Resources in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Partner Resources in Seattle, WA

Pros

Company culture and employee morale

Cons

There was not a downside to working at Starbucks.

Advice to Management

Communication is essential

6. "I love this job."

Current Employee - Barista in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Barista in Charleston, SC

Pros

Great benefits and great coworkers. I really love this job because it's perfect for me and where I am in my life right now. I work with a great team who is competent and professional and most importantly I have fun every day of my life.

Cons

Sometimes customers are unfair, rude, or disrespectful. It can be stressful at time but we always pull through! The rushes can be long and people can be cruel, but in the end we make every single thing work.

Advice to Management

Everything will be okay. Try some things out, but in the end know that things will level themselves out.

"Starbucks---great place to work"

Current Employee - District Manager in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - District Manager in Parsippany, NJ

Pros

Great people working together to make a difference in the communities we serve. Awesome benefits package--work 20+ hours a week and eligible for medical, dental, vision. Stock options for part time workers! Pound of coffee a week, 30% discount on store products. Learn how to run your own business----an MBA in business management!

Cons

the recent layoffs-----don't feel very secure!

Advice to Management

There is going to be a mass exodus from Starbucks because of the recent, but necessary, actions taken to remain profitable. Feedback would be------who was watching the past few years while we put stores in dumb places & ultimately will close them because of those decisions? CEO should be focused totally on SBUX and not investments in Kinetix and Pinkberry, etc....

"Better than most people think"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Columbus, OH

Pros

Its a great place to work because it is extremely flexible, the benefits are unheard of for part time work, and it is a fun environment. If you are looking for a great job during a transitional period in your life - this is one of the best options around!

Cons

I wouldn't say a retail position is a great long term job. It can be tedious at times.

Advice to Management

I like the way you can give missional reviews at any level of employment. However, since it is a big company, it is hard to feel like each voice is heard.

9. "Wonderful company!"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Memphis, TN

Pros

Wonderful people! The company if very passionate about their customers and their standards for cleanliness, freshness, and customer service go above and beyond! You go through extensive training to be knowledgeable about the drinks and the coffee that you're selling. Starbucks definitly takes the time to make sure you're happy and that you know what's expected of you and how to deliver legendary customer satisfaction.

Cons

Starbucks isn't for everyone. It is a fast-paced atmosphere, and in order to give the best service you need to be alert and able to move fast. This job isn't an "easy" "sit-around" kind of job. Also, how well tips you get really depends on the neighborhood your store is in. My store unfortunatly only gets between $0.50 and 1 dollar per hour weekly. But there are several stores around me that make more around $2 per hour.

Advice to Management

Always keep your customer's and partner's best interest in mind.

10. "Great beginning job"

Former Employee - Barista in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Barista in Portland, OR

Pros

Great team environment. Great structure. Comprehensive training in all aspects of the job. Great support system by managment and plenty of opportunity for patners that wish to succeed in their carreer. the motto is to set your partner up for success. full health benefites for part time employees is a major plus along with Dental and vision. Great benefits.

Cons

physical labor, demanding hours. odd work schedule. no job security. lack of understanding with personal life issues. You semll like coffee at the end of every shift and come to a point where it's difficult to enjoy a good cup of coffee.

Advice to Management

See the partners as humans.

Showing 16,053 of 16,180 reviews