Starbucks Reviews | Glassdoor

1,012 Ratings

16,107 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • as long as you manage work life balance it's a great job (in 346 reviews)

• Fast paced stressful rude customers (in 448 reviews)

"why starbucks"

Current Employee - App Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - App Developer in Seattle, WA

Pros

free one pound of coffee a week

Cons

No recognitions of the hard work you put in and the benefits are very lacking

Advice to Management

stop with the BS and tell it like it is

"Howard is in denial"

Former Employee - Data Administrator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Data Administrator in Seattle, WA

Pros

They are enviromentally and socially conscious - which is not the norm for a company of that size. They work hard with coffee growing comunities to improve the quality of life from health care to education.

Cons

Where do I start? There's no accountability. People fall into positions based on who they know rather than whether or not they have an understanding of the work.

Advice to Management

Howard needs to step of the denial train. He gets pretty defensive when someone stands up at an open forum and says they question whether or not Starbucks salaries are competative to the market or that the insurance plan may be lacking. This is definitely his achilles heel. It's not something he wants to admit might be possible. I know others, as well as myself, who have left the company are getting paid 30% - 40% more Starbucks (and working in similar job roles to what we had at Starbucks). As for insurance - sure Starbucks was one of hte first companies to offer part time employees benefits (this is something Howard always points back to when the question of insurance comes up). That was how many years ago??? I'm curious to know in terms of insurance coverage what is Starbucks doing today that is innovative?
    Another improvement needs to be that checks and balances are in place to ensure that management is LEADING the company. Bonuses and raises should be based on direct reports satisfaction. My manager and the apparent lack of opportunity for growth (especially under my particular manager) are the reasons why I left the company. Morale within the company wa on the fast track downhill when I left and it's only gotten worse since then. This all falls in Howard's lap. He needs to listen to what people are saying rather than become defensive. He needs to be open to the idea that there may just be some truth to what the employees are saying.

"No one can answer the questions "What are we doing and Why?""

Former Employee - Support Services in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Support Services in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great opportunity to earn benefits while in school, great product, good atmosphere, free pound of coffee each week!

Cons

No visibile or clear strategic direction, zero communication from the top down, lack of effective ability to manage through simple processes, antiquated systems, lost site of the vision and mission statement, eveyone is running around making decisions with no alignment to the business or impact on the customer.

Advice to Management

Take a close look at the top down that is the root cause of all the issues, Howard needs to quit bringing back the old guard and remove himself from the picture, he should allow people who really understand what it is like to treat people with dignity and respect, creating the third place for the customer, and growing big but staying small is all about and how to execute and implement against that.

"Starbucks"

Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Seattle, WA

Pros

To get a respected name on your resume. Tough out the endless political infighting. Ignore the blatant incompetence. Subdue your desire to affect any actual change and reap the rewards later in your career. Face it. People like Starbucks. No matter how ridiculous upper management it.

Cons

For a company so young it's amazing the amount of bureaucracy that has already built up. If you want to actually achieve anything, avoid this Seattle bureaucratic downturning company.

Also, the magnitude of the missteps of capitol investments that have been made is significant.

Advice to Management

Oust Howard. Since his 'return' to CEO (although he was always in charge, treating Jim Donald like an ASM at a poorly run store) he's done nothing but bring back the ridiculous executives that the one person who made Starbucks the SuperSuccess it was got rid of. Orin Smith.

When Starbucks was going through it's tough times - because Howard didn't (doesn't) understand business and the expansion was getting (is getting) beyond his limited capabilities he (and the smart Board he had at the time) made the best decision they could have made and brought in the brilliant business leader - Orin Smith.

Orin got rid of the executives of limited capabilities that Howard is currently bringing back in the mistake belief that they were the key to Starbucks success.

The key to Starbucks success was both Orin Smith and the careful and intentional compartmentalization of Howard away from the day to day business of Starbucks.

"Starbucks product exceeds their need for welcoming organization and communication."

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

The company has a great product, and will one day form a culture that supports dynamic growth.

Cons

The culture is currently overwhelming with many different management styles. This has lead to a lack of consistency in communication and organization. There is little room for creativity and innovation.

Advice to Management

Continue to drive towards market research and goals set by long-term strategy. Also, please ensure every level of management follows one methodology and lives by the vision statement.

"It used to be a great place to work for"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

It used to be a great place to work because they used to care about their people. They used to be very focused on partner development and now that seems to have disappeared and they act very cold toward their team.

Cons

* No advancement opportunities
    * Short notice of change and no time to prepare
    * Selective accountability
    * Poor compensation, not up with the rest of the market, good benefits, but poor salary

Advice to Management

* Treat the partners like they mean something to the company instead of the cool treatment that seems to be happeneing.

"Regional leadership at Starbucks unable to carry out Howard's vision"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

The heritage, corporate responsibility and the partners. Starbucks built its brand on quality, consistency and convenience. We have tried to grow big while remain small, and I think senior leadership's continued vision is a good one, but so far, they have failed to correct the district and regional leadership's wayward path from that vision

Cons

The district and regional leadership are COMPLETELY out of touch. The phoenix market has diluted itself with external hires that don't really know how to manage the business or even what made Starbucks successful in the past. Store managers are not able to perform the tasks that are being asked of them and are GROSSLY under-compensated for the amount of time that is required to do the job well.

Advice to Management

PLEASE- you have to take a closer look at the district and regional directors and what they're asking their managers to do with their time

"Schultz, does he really know whats happning in his stores?"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Pueblo, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Pueblo, CO

Pros

Free Coffee uhh... free coffee, Really I dont have anything nice to say. Starbucks was by a country mile the WORST job I have ever had.

Cons

I was not ever treated with respect or diginity, However I was expected to treat ALL with respect & diginity. I was dissapointed to find that a part timer was hard pressed to actually be scheduled the minium hours required to qualify for benefits. I saw alot of good people get tossed out with the old product because they didnt fit in to the click.

Advice to Management

Mean what you say & say what you mean

"Starbucks: benefits, worthless career advancement, free coffee."

Former Employee - Barista in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Barista in Evanston, IL

Pros

One word: benefits. Also, they did transfer me across the country after only six months of working there, which made life a little easier at the time.

Cons

Shame. Working for a corporate monster. The stink of bad coffee. Having to pretend I like coffee. Admitting to people that I work there. The management was always kinda wacky and really into pretending they cared. The main thing for me, thought, is that I wanted (and now have) work where I effect positive change in my community. Starbucks was work where I memorized yuppies' favorite coffee drinks and had to make macchiatos incorrectly (I grew up in Italy, suckas, and that is definitely not a macchiatio).

Advice to Management

Stop making us pretend we care. Stop selling crappy beans and pretending they're good.

"Don't work for this company."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Comments below are related to working for sbux "marketing" in their HQ.

Ostensibly because it is a big brand and an opportunity to have a big impact on a large audience. There are some nice people there, but mistrust and backstabbing pervade.

Cons

Management is venal, dishonest, incompetent, and petty. Decision-making process (if you assume there is actual cognitive activity on the part of management) is opaque and seemingly random. Their marketing efforts, especially on the web, are pointless and are not seen as valuable by senior mgmt. The company is in dire financial straights and is cutting staff monthly.

Howard Schultz is a con man, and a bad one at that.

Advice to Management

Would not bother because they are not at all interested.

Showing 16,107 of 16,235 reviews