Starbucks Reviews | Glassdoor

14,509 reviews

Full-timePart-time

14,509 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Starbucks offers a wicked comprehensive benefits plan to part time employees (who work (in 1026 reviews)

• Free pound of coffee every week (in 514 reviews)

1. "Good"

I have been working at Starbucks part-time

Pros

Easy, fun, easy way to get more experience in customer service.

Cons

Fast paced, music is bad, not enough pay.

2. "Barista"

Current Employee - Barista in Saginaw, TX
    Current Employee - Barista in Saginaw, TX

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company that genuinely cares about its partners. Offers amazing benefits for even part time employees. Offers tuition reimbursement with no requirement to stay on with the company after you get your degree

Cons

Honestly not to many cons with Starbucks. All I can really say is maybe increase base pay some and stop cutting hours so much.

3. "Starbucks Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You wear multiple hats as a Store Manager so this position is really for those who can adapt to unexpected situations. The company treats their employees well and upward mobility is encouraged.

Cons

These past few years, independent coffee shops have been taking some of the business away so to stay ahead of the game, the company has to adapt to many changes and oftentimes the communication is lacking or hurried to a point that there's very little time to train the partners in order to successfully launch and execute certain programs.

Advice to Management

Think thoroughly on the time invested on partners' training in order to successfully execute what's expected out of them. Compensations and benefits have been great so keep up the good work.

4. "Overall a great company to work for."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Starbucks has a great benefits package. They do everything they can to support their partners. It's flexible and helps you develop a vast variety of management skills.

Cons

Many external managers who have been hired have a hard time adjusting to company culture and it ends up putting more work of those who develop up within the company. Internal managers do not receive a decent salary compared to those hired externally. The company has such a strong focus on the partner experience which ends up coming out to a strong focus on baristas and not management. We are not supported the same way our baristas are.

5. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Starbucks (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyable environment
    Good hot chocolate

Cons

There is a Poor allocation of resources

Advice to Management

more hot chocolate

6. "For young people and students who are "Figuring it out""

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks (More than a year)

Pros

-My coworkers rocked! Like-minded people with a lot of diverse backgrounds and experiences
    -"Corporate" exposure and room for growth
    -Flexible hours
    -Opportunity to transfer stores if needed (there is a store everywhere so convenient to commute or if you want to move somewhere they can help you)
    -Benefits were very helpful for a newly graduated millennial who has never had her own insurance, the year I spent working for Starbucks I was able to address a lot of my own health needs affordably

Cons

Personally, I see Starbucks benefiting two types of people; young ones who don't know what they want yet/students, OR adults who are so passionate about Starbucks coffee they are ready to make it their life.
    There is no middle area for employees in my opinion. If you are willing to make your career into coffee, you will most likely move up over a period of time and manage, finally running your own store. That is the success. My assistant manager at the time had been working at my store for seven years (since she was 16) and had just moved into her own store (which ended up being a disappointing fit for her). It is a long road but it you chose it, they treat you very well. But I digress.
    It is VERY difficult to work at Starbucks as a way to pay your bills and simply live life. Unless you are looking to keep Starbucks as a long term career, I suggest looking for something else and skip over the challenges of this job. I lived with family at the time I was working for the company, like I said the benefits proved to be very helpful since I was due for a lot of doctor visits HOWEVER I worked 35-40 hours per week and could barely afford to pay my bills. There was no way I could afford to buy a car, or move out into my own place.. You need to be willing to move into a supervisor role (on their timeline) to really use Starbucks as your source of income.

Another con is the repetitive motions, in my second week of training I was put on bar for over six hours and got a tendon injury. The speed at which you're required to work in busy stores is pretty insane. With drive thru/cafe/mobile order stations all running at once, this job can get very stressful.

All in all it was a good experience, let's say I learned what I never want to do again.

Advice to Management

Instead of looking at employees as the reason for customer dissatisfaction, consider improving your materials and management strategies. The work flow behind the counter is non-existent with all that has to be done. The expectations you place on baristas to perform all jobs (such as cleaning cards, preparing drinks, fetching mobile orders, low drive thru times) smoothly is ridiculous, and because our pay is low, nobody cares to go above and beyond for the customer. Badly implemented services such as mobile orders have ruined store morale and the barista/customer relationship. You have followed the customer demand blindly without thinking about the well-being of your workers.

7. "Overseeing daily store operations"

Current Employee - Starbucks Shift Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Starbucks Shift Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility to work different shifts outside your home store. 401K with five percent employer match. Free food and beverages on top of a weekly at home brewing markout.

Cons

Some longer term partners are very set in their ways and obstinate to change in best practices. Lateral movement seems to be difficult if you don't know the right people.

"Enjoyable Part-Time Job!"

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Free drinks while on shift. 30% off any food or drink item off shift.
    - Weekly Markout that includes bagged coffee, tea packages, or cold brew box,
    - Free Stocks, Paid Vacation Time, and many other helpful programs available for Partners in need!

Cons

- Can be extremely stressful at times with partners calling out & hours being cut.
    - Management lacks support for partners.
    - Brutal during peak hours. (I worked at the busiest Starbucks in my district.)

Advice to Management

Hey,

I know your job is difficult. You stress out when the DM yells at you for every little mishap but just understand that your partners are working hard too. Provide some words of encouragement sometimes, we all need it.

9. "I'm so excited to finally be a partner"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Just started, everyone seems great

Cons

None so far! Everything seems great!

10. "Barista"

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very flexible with schedules (great position for students), making drinks is really fun, usually become friends with co workers. Also, there are MANY different ways and opportunities to move up in Starbucks. It's easy to have a career with this company.

Cons

Almost all stores are having their hours cut, which leads to less people to run a floor and it can be stressful during peak. I've had a some bad store managers, and what they have in common is they didn't move up the ladder and given time to get to know every position.

Advice to Management

Only hire store managers who were a barista for at least a year, shift for at least a year, then assistant manager for at least a year. In my 13 years at Starbucks those are the only managers that tend to be good. Hiring from outside has almost always lead to terrible managers.

Showing 14,509 of 14,606 reviews