Starbucks Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Starbucks President & CEO Kevin Johnson
Kevin Johnson

Pros
  • Starbucks offers a wicked comprehensive benefits plan to part time employees (who work (in 978 reviews)

• free pound of coffee or box of tea every week (in 493 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor it can be difficult to have any semblance of a work-life balance (in 305 reviews)

• It can be very fast paced if you work at a high volume store (in 381 reviews)

1. "Too Much Work Not Enough Pay"

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Washington, DC

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to meet interesting people (some good some not so great lol)
    Tips are usually nice
    Free drinks
    You can network while working

Cons

Management doesn't always care about your needs just the money being made
    No assistance (I worked at a Starbucks inside a Safeway)
    Dealing with rude coffee snobs
    Can be extremely face paced

Advice to Management

Work with your employees not against them

2. "Do not work here unless it's your last choice"

Current Employee - Barista in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Barista in Washington, DC

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best parts of my day are talking to my co-workers and getting free food

Cons

The worst part of working at Starbucks is you have to stand of hours and get under paid. You will be doing a lot more that you think. Some of the customer are rude and the job is just not worth it.

Advice to Management

Give the employees a rase.

3. "Great college job"

Former Employee - Barista in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Barista in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Starbucks from summer 2011 to fall 2015. When I started I was a rising sophomore in college and was only available to work while on breaks (I went to school out of state). My manager was really flexible with my schedule and overall very accommodating. I was given time off for visiting my boyfriend in the UK and when he visited me as well. I met some great people and had a lot of fun with my coworkers. It was also easy to pick up shifts at other stores, even while I was away at school. The partner discount and weekly whole bean markout are nice perks, given how expensive Starbucks is. And the discount even worked for me in the UK, which made picking up souvenirs way cheaper. I also worked as an actor for the last year of employment, and it was usually easy to find shift coverage. Again, my managers were really helpful in understanding that being a barista was my job and acting was my career.

Cons

I worked in a mall kiosk, so my experience was probably much more stressful and chaotic than most partners'. It was such a high volume store, and we were often understaffed, out of at least one thing, and something always seemed to be broken. This made keeping up with the customer volume and handling impatient and difficult patrons all the more difficult, and it frayed everybody's nerves. Over time, especially after I graduated and worked more often, the stress of the job just wasn't work the salary anymore. Holidays were insane; customers honestly were the worst around this time of year. And all partners were required to work Black Friday, which meant I would hardly get to enjoy my Thanksgiving with my family. I'm unsure of how that works in standalone stores, but if you work in a mall or shopping center you'll probably have to work on all the big shopping days.

Most of the cons I have stemmed mostly from the specifics of my store, but one thing I find particularly ridiculous about Starbucks is its insistence that company standard is placed above the means of its individual store. We had so little space and such outdated equipment and utilities (the electrical and water were all the mall's, so the drains would frequently flood and fridges and pastry cases would break down) yet management would keep adding amenities which made the space more cramped and less conducive to partners' efficiency. How ridiculous is it for a kiosk in the middle of a mall to have mobile pay and pickup? But we did. The food safety regulations were also ridiculous and it was frankly impossible to keep the stand as spotless as it probably should've been. Spills were inevitable, the bars were always covered in syrup and water, we couldn't afford to clean the back bar or change the sanitizer as often as needed, and the coffee cadence and Playbook regulations were not tailored to our store's specific needs. We all had to bend over backwards to meet Starbucks standards, often at the expense of our breaks and free time.

Advice to Management

Employees are not cogs in a corporate machines. We are people, and we work hard to deliver the quality handcrafted beverages which Starbucks prides itself on. I often feel that management cares more about its customers than its partners. I don't know how many times I or another coworker was forbidden from standing up for themselves to a rude customer, how many times a manager stepped in to appease the customer rather than stand up for their employees. I know that's a downside to any job in customer service, but I still didn't feel valued as an employee.

5. "Good place to work for a student."

Current Employee - Barista Trainer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Barista Trainer in Reston, VA

Pros

Flexible hours, fast paced, good teams, fun, free coffee during shift, free food during shift.

Cons

Under staffed a lot, nonstop for 2+ hours in between breaks, underpaid, district manager sets unattainable targets for labor and sales.

Advice to Management

Customers have to wait longer because we cannot have enough coverage in the morning!
    Does that sound like customer focus to you?

6. "Your experience depends on location, and your boss"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best perks of minimum wage jobs. Company is trying to be better. You get free drinks and a weekly 1lb of coffee.

Cons

Your schedule will be all over the place. If your store is busy, the scheduling can be even worse, and it will likely wear you out. Management gets raises for running a "lean" store, meaning, less people to help out and more money in their pocket for your hard work. Remember that when you try to ask for having 1 consistent day off each week or when you need your shift moved around for a family emergency, or when you want to use your 3 days of vacation after working 2 1/2 years and they say "it's not a good time" even though they just went on vacation.

Advice to Management

Your baristas have it harder than you, and barely make a living. Guide us, give us criticism to build us, not to break us down, praise us when we earn it, and don't make work the last place we want to be because of YOU when we have so many other things to dislike about the job.

7. "Would have been great if my store had had a decent manager."

Former Employee - Barista in Washington, DC

I worked at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee. My coworkers were almost all great people. I personally enjoyed making drinks and formed relationships with some of our regulars. Generally an easy job once you've gotten used to things.

Cons

My specific store experience was pretty much a nightmare. My manager was horrible in general - inappropriate, unprofessional, and he had unrealistic expectations of what a full-time college student could handle (one scheduled me to work a 30 hour week during midterms and frequently scheduled people on their religious holidays after they had requested off).

But that was small change compared to the main issue I had here. I had a certain coworker who, from the very first day I worked with him, began a pattern of sexual harassment that went on for about six months before I finally took it to management. I filed a written report but my manager shoved it under the rug after asking me many victim-blaming questions ("but did you ever ask him to stop?"). Not only did he not fire this partner, who already had a poor work and behavior record, what's worse, he did not uphold the confidentiality of my report so that I no longer felt fully comfortable coming into work. I eventually called the corporate business ethics department, who launched an investigation but STILL never got back in touch with me after the initial phone call.

In retrospect, I can't believe it took me so long to quit but I'm very glad I did. That being said, I don't think that the job itself is necessarily set up to be the hellscape I went through. If Starbucks would just hire better managers and exercise better oversight, it would have been a much better work experience.

Advice to Management

Get rid of managers who pull stunts like this. It's not okay and someday soon you'll get a class-action suit over it.

8. "Not liking it"

Current Employee - Barista in Lorton, VA
    Current Employee - Barista in Lorton, VA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice partners, free drinks & pastries. Some customers are so nice they make your whole day. Store smells like coffee.

Cons

Too much cleaning with so little staff in such an unreasonably short amount of time. Rude & demanding customers act as if there life depends on it to get their coffee immediately. Some customers treat us as if we are robots. Way too much multitasking. Manager is way too impatient. I feel as if the company cares more about the customer than the partners.

Advice to Management

Be patient with new baristas & stop freaking out over the tiniest things.

9. "My time at starbucks was annoying."

Former Employee - Barista in Washington, DC

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, and amazing boss

Cons

Bias politics, and inadequate compensation for the amount of manual work done

Advice to Management

Promote from within.

10. "Fast paced, stressful, and unrewarding."

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are phenomenal and there's something to be said about a source of free coffee.

Cons

Everything else. The customers are disrespectful and treat you as a utility rather than a human. The pay is insultingly low. You will work with a collection of degenerate stoners and drunkies who work at Starbucks simply because they have nowhere else to go. Extremely fast-paced and stressful at busy stores with little to no recognition nor reward. Even with tips, the pay simply does not match the workload and does not make this a good choice for anyone looking for more than a temporary job in school.

Advice to Management

The pay has to go up. Store prices have increased and cost-of-living around the country is on the rise. Working hard for 40+ hours a week after 2 years should not keep you so poverty stricken that you struggle to make rent. A pat on the back does not make up for a deficit in the real reason we all hold jobs.

"Higher management"

Former Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Olney, MD
    Former Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Olney, MD

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Customers are awesome! Quite like family! As well as your partners are like family.

Cons

It takes years to move up in this company. And when you do watch out. They will be on your back like white on rice. If you are high on labor your butt is on the line. Starbuck's hates overtime. Anyone who goes over gets yelled at and written up. This company does not care about it's partners like they claim. Everyone including long time partners are expendable! Watch out! you could be next!

Advice to Management

Remember who has put blood, sweat and tears into their job! Those with awesome reviews should be taken into consideration not thrown out with the trash!

Showing 17 of 13,629 reviews