Starcom Worldwide Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Starcom Worldwide CEO Lisa Donohue
Lisa Donohue

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/Life Balance is highly valued and it is a great place to enjoy your twenties (in 17 reviews)

• Great people and opportunity to create your career path, learn and grow (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough manpower/headcount to achieve work-life balance (in 38 reviews)

• no work/life balance, long hours (in 52 reviews)

"Starcom Sucks!"

Former Employee - Media Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

Starcom provides great benefits for employees and a lot of vacation days.

Cons

I went through way too many different supervisors in three years. The majority of them quit for a better job or to go back to school because they hated their job, a few were promoted, and the rest were just reassigned to a different client.

Regardless of why they left, I successfully managed multi-million dollar accounts on my own for months at a time and made my clients very happy. I received great mid and annuals reviews, but I never got promoted. I kept working there because they'd butter me up just enough for me to think I was going to get promoted, and then they'd blindside me with a new supervisor to train at the last second.

I started to notice a pattern in the types of employees that got promoted - they were the employees that kissed the most management ass and not the employees that worked the best with clients and/or created the most effective advertising campaigns. After a while, I stopped caring about my job and spent most of my time seeking employment elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Bad leadership is expensive. Under the watch of poor leaders and managers, staff morale declines and workers feel less committed to the organization and its mission. It leads to employees producing lower quality work and feeling less obligated to complete projects in a timely manner. Poor morale saps energy and contributes to an uncomfortable climate that turns petty disputes into interpersonal warfare. Workers who lose their focus and commitment to quality are prone to making more mistakes. Even worse, poor leadership can stop planners from producing new ideas and solutions to problems. (ESPECIALLY If you've got a boss who constantly bullies, criticizes, or doesn't give you your due credit, why would you want to do anything extra to make him/her look good?)

"Stalled"

Current Employee - Media Assocaita in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Media Assocaita in Chicago, IL

Pros

Starcom is ok for about 6 months. If you know nothing about advertising/media it is a good starting point.

Cons

The pay is unbearable. And the work is too demanding. The pressure is high and the training is low. It can be a real jumble when everyone is stressed out. Morale is at an all time low, and more than one person on my team has started taking anti depressants - as a direct result of the work environment.

Advice to Management

If people don't see change the best talent is going to leave as soon as possible. Decisions should be more transparent. This company treats you like a number and trap people at levels below their skill set for months to even years with out a reais. I am not familiar with anyone outside of Starcom in the same position in terms of work level (often more than 10 hours a day) and pitiful pay. It takes a toll on productivity.

3. "Good temporary job, but would not recommend working there as an experienced professional."

Current Employee - Media Supervisor in Chicago, IL

Pros

* Great clients and ability to learn different types of media.
    * Nice to meet a lot of younger folks from around the region

Cons

* Competency and logistical problems of all media buying. Billing is consistency late and provides no centralized way to client. New systems that have been implemented are not compliant with federal regulations and statutes
    * Current client list is not media savvy. Majority of clients need marketing education.
    * HR is not committed to fulfilling the needs of employees. During disputes, they will always side with management, irregardless of the issue.
    * Promotion of entry level people is done without increase in pay
    * Reverse discrimination is widespread and the most knowledgeable talent is often looked over for available positions.

Advice to Management

* Invest in younger talent from within the company
    * Expand on technology and increasing client knowledge across media platforms

4. "no work / life balance"

Current Employee - Media Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Media Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

Looks good on your resume, builds experience, learn how to work very very long hours and still be productive and accurate

Cons

promotion schedule is not based on performance, but just putting in your time. this means, people who are incredibly unqualified to manage can end up in charge.

Advice to Management

there needs to be more work life balance. It is unreasonable to expect employees to work so hard and so long for such low compensation

5. "A great place for the "bottom 50%""

Former Employee - Media Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Media Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Starcom Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Client roster, rotational program, office location

Cons

Non-monetary perks (client dinners, "freebies", vacation calendar) get old very quickly. What incentivizes a 23 year old doesn't work on older employees

Advice to Management

Go to business school. Learn how to run your business & grow your employees.

6. "Terrible Place"

Former Employee - Media Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Starcom Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of free tickets and food

Cons

Minimal wages
    Culture of cliques: you're either in or you're out
    Narrow focus per person due to the size of the company and nature of the industry
    They claim to be a diverse and open-minded company, when really the people are only open-minded to ruthless, frat-house behavior and have no interest in any outside culture
    Nasty people
    Incompetent managers
    Promotions are not transparent

Advice to Management

Raise your bar and hire more intelligent, and fewer people at a higher salary. Take a hard look at the cliques that have formed that drive away talent and are obstacles to establishing a healthy workplace. Pick decent people to be managers and discipline them to behave respectfully and fairly

"Good place to start but very high turnover"

Current Employee - Media Associate
    Current Employee - Media Associate

I have been working at Starcom Worldwide full-time

Pros

Good training program to learn the fundamentals of media
    Big brands/clients

Cons

No work/life balance
    Understaffed
    No overtime
    Poor management

8. "Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Media A in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Media A in Chicago, IL

I worked at Starcom Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free cereal
    Free lunches
    Learn a lot

Cons

Low pay
    Bad work environment
    Bad management

Advice to Management

Do something

"There is a reason it is a revolving door"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Starcom Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will learn about media planning and buying, lots of vacation, abundance of free meals/events/gifts/etc

Cons

- Most teams are under-staffed and combined with demanding clients leads to long hours
    - Low pay
    - Little consideration of career objectives by management
    - Few instances of talent development of the lower levels
    - It seems like the people that others don't like to work with are those getting promoted; also process for promotion is not clearly defined and seems political
    - Company is losing more clients than it is gaining

Advice to Management

Take some time to listen to the career objectives and desires of your employees and also ensure what is be preached at the VP level is being filtered down to the Director/AD level. There is a huge disconnect.

"Poor management, you're just a body"

Current Employee - Media Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Starcom Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Young culture, work hard play hard

Cons

Poor account management, terrible work-life balance

Advice to Management

Provide more training for rotational program. Hire more people to help balance work load.