Starlight Children's Foundation Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Starlight Children's Foundation CEO Chris Helfrich
Chris Helfrich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Halloween Event Volunteer"

Pros

Very interactive volunteers throughout the event

Cons

Disorganized scheduling for the event

"Overdue Review"

Former Employee - Community Moderator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Community Moderator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Starlight Children's Foundation part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing kids. Daily inspiration from them.

Cons

Nonexistent program support, poor communication from higher ups. Undervalued staff contributed to low group morale. Isolated departments, didn't function as one cohesive unit. Unanswered questions, unaddressed issues and concerns. Our program was cut without warning by CEO (Jacqueline Hart.) We had to fight to even tell the kids or give them any notice at all. Prior to dumping our program, we received very little support, tech or otherwise. Our site was embarrassingly outdated, trapped in the dark ages. Sick kids were trying to chat with their friends only to be met with frustration and nonstop tech problems. Staff training was inconsistent, rules & regulations/emergency protocol were clear as mud. We asked, made calls, wrote emails, spoke at staff meetings. The kids even reached out on their own, asked Starlight for support. Expressed how much their program meant to them, helped them make friends who could relate to their struggles, battle isolation, etc. In the end, after years of fighting for money, resources, and support, they pulled the plug.

Bottom line? I worked at Starlight for many, many years. I loved my work with all my heart. I loved the kids with all my heart. Community staff (myself included) offered to take pay cuts, work for free, if only to keep the community up and running for the kids. It's been a little over a year since our program was "sunset," as they liked to say. I can't speak for the new CEO. Maybe he's positively impacted office culture. I don't know. What I do know is that this organization has a history of doing wrong by its employees, and I learned a lot during my time here about how not to treat people. Take from that what you will.

Advice to Management

Value your staff.

"Coordinator"

Current Employee - Entry Level
    Current Employee - Entry Level

I have been working at Starlight Children's Foundation (More than a year)

Pros

N/A -- There isn't a lot going on in the office, work is very slow, work life balance is good. I can work short days and part time. I have the time to apply for other jobs.

Cons

The positive review from the intern is a lie - we don't even currently have an intern in our office.

"Happy at Starlight"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Starlight Children's Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There isn't a business that doesn't have some issue, but generally, Starlight is a good place to work and employees are met with fairness and opportunity. There are however, expectations set against us, as there should be. The expectation is for employees to either possess or gain knowledge around essential things that effect the business - financials, programs, partners, non-profit legalities, impact, mission, technology, etc. Well-run businesses do not allow employees to make up the rules as they see fit, but rather require them to follow a prescribed set of non-negotiables and then create around those. I feel empowered at Starlight, but I also am well aware that to be successful, I have to be a team player and follow some basic policies and procedures.

Cons

It's true, there aren't any windows on our floor in our very beautiful office tower in Century City. However, the sun is right downstairs and a couple of trips down the elevator solves for having no windows. It's more important to me that the space is donated and Starlight only plays $12 a year in overhead - making donor impact far more significant than it would be otherwise.

"Starlight review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Starlight Children's Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In theory, the mission is one of the biggest pros of the organization. However, it's very hard for leadership to explain how the undesignated dollars are spent.

Cons

It was physically the most depressing atmosphere I've worked in my career. The office is on the 43rd floor of a high rise building in Century City and there are no windows and lots of fluorescent light (it is basically an old storage facility they renovated into an office. Something about this atmosphere is physically draining and causes unnecessary drama between individuals and departments.

Employee turnover is a revolving door. Additionally, they have been cutting the workforce and laying off individuals for years now and have worked their way down to just 14 people (from more than 30 in just a year). Every few months there is a restructure that seems to be a convenient distraction from actually doing mission related work for the organization.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the mission and take care of the employees you have. Everything else will fall into place.

"Dysfunctional and Very Poor Leadership"

I worked at Starlight Children's Foundation full-time

Pros

The only pro is mission however they are unable to say how mission money support kids and families

Cons

Poor senior leadership and very weak CEO who is only good at chopping heads. Unhealthy and hostile work environment promoted by senior team. Lack of talent. Poor decisions.

Advice to Management

Clean house and start over

"Wonderful mission, but no loyalty from leadership"

Pros

The Starlight Children's Foundation's mission is solid and I could see how this translated into helping kids with chronic illnesses as well as their caregivers and siblings. Outstanding mission. Great autonomy for the position I was in. Incremental pay raise and respect for work/life balance was good. Would I donate to Starlight? Absolutely, but only if my donation was restricted to a specific program.

Cons

From an employment perspective, Starlight is cut-throat. Executive level management and CEO appear to be more interested in furthering their own professional agendas. I witnessed long-term, dedicated, hard-working employees be unceremoniously dumped during a major national downsize in 2013. Managers sold their direct reports out to save their own jobs. In addition, absolutely no communication to families that many chapters were closing. I assume this was to draw as little attention to the then current financial state of the organization. Also, locally, there seemed to be a level of fundraising desperation and attempts to partner with questionable establishments were made.

Advice to Management

Please hire people who can not only do the job, but who really do care about the children. People really can see through the facade of shallow smiles and pretense.

"innovative environment"

Pros

impactful and challenging work, strong community of intelligent colleagues, good work life balance

Cons

balance between structure and innovation is always a work in progress

"Ignore the fake plastic reviews, the reality is ugly"

I have been working at Starlight Children's Foundation full-time

Pros

Formerly a good mission, now it's an ego driven sham.
    Sadly there are some good people there who are tainted by this.

Cons

Massive turnover because people see through the plastic fake emotions, passive aggressive politics, abuse, trite sayings, and manic micromanaging of CEO and VPs. Thinking for yourself and not fawning and you're gone. No commitment to you at all. They'll use you then lose you. Employees disappear all the time, morale is terrible but you don't dare talk because you can't trust anyone. You never know when one of the pets will blame you to cover their mistakes.

Ignore the positive reviews written and solicited to game this site.

Advice to Management

Leave, and save Starlight. You broke it.

10. "Mental Health Specilaist II"

I worked at Starlight Children's Foundation full-time

Pros

Professional environment, excellent training, great supervisors, decent salary.

Cons

Lots of paperwork, working under pressure, need to meet productivity, long hours of work.