Starr Companies Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

3.7
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Little room for growth and very bureaucratic (in 3 reviews)

• Senior management is crash and burn (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great opportunity for the right person"

Current Employee - Underwriting Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Underwriting Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Starr Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They take care of people who take care of them. Not a lot of hand holding when it comes to training, so if you can prove you have what it takes to figure it out on your own, you're golden

Cons

If you need training wheels, not the place for you

Rigid day to day - business dress in NYC office - could be more flexible

Advice to Management

Get a work from home policy in place

"Claims"

I have been working at Starr Companies full-time

Pros

Excellent salary and benefits comparable to the rest of the market; challenging work

Cons

Females are treated as inferior, company-wide. Politics govern everything from work processes to promotions. Alliances weigh heavier than solid work performance.

Advice to Management

Review internal structure to ensure that women are appropriately positioned and represented at higher levels. Conduct regular audits to ensure that those in higher level positions are worthy of the title and promote those that have been erroneously kept behind.

3. "Accounting Analyst"

Current Contractor - Contract Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Contract Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Starr Companies as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back environment and the work is not too demanding. People are easy to get along with and great work life balance. The office clears out by 5 PM sharp

Cons

Little room for growth and very bureaucratic. It takes too long to reach my own manager to answer a simple question

Advice to Management

Try to listen to your employees. Otherwise great work!

4. "Marketing Internship"

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I have been working at Starr Companies as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The work is challenging but in a good way. Even thought I was an intern, I felt like I was able to make an impact for the company. I liked the team I work with. People in the company are very friendly and always willing to you a moment of their time to answer questions about your job and industry. I even met the CEO!

I am an Army Veteran, and so it was great to see the Veterans Initiative grow. Tom, who is the head of Veterans Initiative, introduced me to many people in the company so I could learn more about the industry.

Pay is great. As an intern, it was $18/ hour. 35 hour work week is nice too. As a breastfeeding mother, they were also very flexible with me taking my pump breaks.

Cons

The company could be more innovative. Incorporation of new products and ideas tend to be slow at times due to resource constraints. More emphasis needs to be placed on user research. The company could also work on employee engagement activities like socials and volunteering.

Advice to Management

Focus more on user experience and user research.

5. "Good Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Starr Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many opportunities to move from one area of the company to another. No legacy issues inhibiting service issues. Creative underwriting staff. Agile

Cons

Systems to need to be updated to adjust to the ever changing environment.

Advice to Management

Focus on technology to allow underwriters to capitalize on more opportunities

"The honest truth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Starr Companies (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're an established middle management level professional, a senior executive, or a graduate of the associates program, the salary is competitive.

Direct access to the most experienced senior leadership in the insurance industry.

The opportunity to build a new book of business.

Once you've been there for a while, possibly the opportunity to relocate with the company to a different office location.

Certain departments have better group culture than others, depending where you are, this could be a pro. Some managers really care about their employees and do fun things with them & invest in their development and growth.

Cons

If you're not an established middle management level professional, a senior executive, or a graduate of the associates program, salaries are low per industry standards, and "you accept the job for the opportunity, not the compensation."

Certain departments have better group culture than others, depending where you are, this could be a con.

Long hours and 24/7 attached to your company phone (depending on your department) "you do whatever it takes"

Advice to Management

Pay people what they're worth.

Start valuing your HR department, and invest in them more.

Make your outer office employees feel like they're part of the corporate culture.

Hire more operations people so they aren't so overworked.

"Staff accountant"

Former Employee - Accountant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Accountant in New York, NY

I worked at Starr Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company fully funded pension plan. Overtime was minimal and paid overtime for non exempt employees including time and a half over 40 hours.

Cons

The internal review program not tied to compensation decisions and wasn't streamlined so performance rating was at least partially dependent on the reviewer

Advice to Management

Need to Improve the internal review program and compensation planning in order to keep high performers.

"Avoid"

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Starr Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can not really recall and positives that are a call out.

Cons

Criminals at the helm. Not concerned about doing things right. Just doing things. Mafia mentality and incompetence exudes management at all levels. Loyalty to Hank is all that matters. No heir apparent.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO and management team in to drive and innovate. This is 2016 not 1990.

9. "Room for improvement"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I worked at Starr Companies as an intern

Pros

Fair pay and met some great people in my department. Most people you meet here are very friendly. I also learned a lot working at Starr which I am grateful for. I believe that this company has a lot of room for improvement if proper changes are made.

Cons

-HR is a disaster of a department. Very unprofessional and disorganized. The average HR employee at Starr doesn't last very long. Instead of correcting the problem, they keep rehiring unqualified candidates.

-Not a lot of young talent. Most people you meet here are 40+ who have previous work experience at AIG.

Advice to Management

Hire young talent, hire a better HR team, and update the way you do business

10. "Client Services Group Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Starr Companies as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

-decent pay.. 20$/ hr for interns.. good opp for uni. students looking to put something on the resume
    -nice intern program over the summer to interface with other interns and build a network
    -some nice people through out the company

Cons

-I had a really reactive, not proactive, boss that was not a good manager (stinks that this is my perspective/experience).. I had to constantly follow up on projects
    -work didn't feel challenging and work was not valued
    -coworkers very closed off and I didn't feel supported.. or feel comfortable to ask questions without getting hesitance to help..
    -needs more room for growth and professional development
    -not sure if this is a con.. yet question of ethicality for company.. almost every other person I was around was related to someone in the company.. strange phenomenon.

Advice to Management

Empower your employees and give them challenges. As for those in management, be willing to listen, explain concepts to lower level employees, support them, and work with your employees on projects and also in professional development. Be more proactive and engaged with your core group of employees