Starr Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Accounting Analyst"

Current Contractor - Contract Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Contract Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Starr Companies as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back environment and the work is not too demanding. People are easy to get along with and great work life balance. The office clears out by 5 PM sharp

Cons

Little room for growth and very bureaucratic. It takes too long to reach my own manager to answer a simple question

Advice to Management

Try to listen to your employees. Otherwise great work!

"Claims"

I have been working at Starr Companies full-time

Pros

Excellent salary and benefits comparable to the rest of the market; challenging work

Cons

Females are treated as inferior, company-wide. Politics govern everything from work processes to promotions. Alliances weigh heavier than solid work performance.

Advice to Management

Review internal structure to ensure that women are appropriately positioned and represented at higher levels. Conduct regular audits to ensure that those in higher level positions are worthy of the title and promote those that have been erroneously kept behind.

3. "Marketing Internship"

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I have been working at Starr Companies as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The work is challenging but in a good way. Even thought I was an intern, I felt like I was able to make an impact for the company. I liked the team I work with. People in the company are very friendly and always willing to you a moment of their time to answer questions about your job and industry. I even met the CEO!

I am an Army Veteran, and so it was great to see the Veterans Initiative grow. Tom, who is the head of Veterans Initiative, introduced me to many people in the company so I could learn more about the industry.

Pay is great. As an intern, it was $18/ hour. 35 hour work week is nice too. As a breastfeeding mother, they were also very flexible with me taking my pump breaks.

Cons

The company could be more innovative. Incorporation of new products and ideas tend to be slow at times due to resource constraints. More emphasis needs to be placed on user research. The company could also work on employee engagement activities like socials and volunteering.

Advice to Management

Focus more on user experience and user research.

5. "Good Opportunities"

I have been working at Starr Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many opportunities to move from one area of the company to another. No legacy issues inhibiting service issues. Creative underwriting staff. Agile

Cons

Systems to need to be updated to adjust to the ever changing environment.

Advice to Management

Focus on technology to allow underwriters to capitalize on more opportunities

6. "Financial Auditor"

Current Employee - Auditor in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Auditor in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Starr Companies (Less than a year)

Pros

Great boss, great learning and exposure

Cons

My position will not be made permanent

7. "Underwriting Analyst"

Current Employee - Underwriting Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Underwriting Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Starr Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A growing company with what seems like great potential for advancement. The office I'm reviewing is clean, safe, has friendly co-workers/staff. In my position, I'm not "mirco-managed" but allowed to work on my own, at my own pace with answers to any questions or assistance from any of my co-workers. Seems too good to be true most days. Benefits are plentiful as is the retirement package(rare with many companies these days).

Cons

Still too much paper in our business so my only con is that we're not paperfree, yet.

Advice to Management

Keep recognizing individuals for what they bring to the table; we have so much talent and knowledge!

8. "Great Career Starter"

Current Employee - Operations in Sewell, NJ
    Current Employee - Operations in Sewell, NJ

I have been working at Starr Companies (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice work environment. Friendly people

Cons

They tend to load work on one person on the team, compensation could be better.

"What a nightmare!!"

I have been working at Starr Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you need a job, that's the only pro. Some good people.

Cons

Leadership is the absolute pits, however, they all walk around giving each other high fives because they think they are the greatest. Old school mentality, no woman in leader roles, no real room to move up unless your related to a Sr leader. Good people don't last long bc they get fed up with the insanity. Managers are rude, obnoxious and unprofessional. They don't practice what they preach. There is no accountability for their actions. HR is a mess. There are no real practices in place. Technology is non existent, you might as well have a chisel and hammer. You have at leaders in custom suits getting free lunch everyday and assistants barely able to afford commuting to NYC. Definitely no perks for employees. You can't work from home.

Advice to Management

Get new managers

"Help needed"

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Starr Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company offers a very competitive in salary. When you first start at the opportunity for growth and that your work experience is company you feel like you have a

Cons

Most of the managers ether have not managed before or don't value their underwriting team causing low moral. There need to more training on motivating people and managing process.

Advice to Management

Enhance your management skills by taking courses in motivating the team.There need to more training on motivating people and managing process.

"Unless desperate....do not take a job here."

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in New York, NY

Pros

The talent pool is lacking, if you have a point 4 IQ you will be ahead of the curve. There really are no Pros.

Cons

Where to begin....Management is absolutely horrible. Starr seems to only hire incompetent people. No one is held accountable for anything. HR is a complete disaster. The talented people do not stay long. A lot of old men walking around doing nothing except talking about how great they are and waiting for the dining hall to open. No succession plan. No flex working hours. Completely old fashion, they do not want to grow with the times. No investment in training. Forced to share office space which created a bed bug issue. Not a nice place, everyone is miserable.

Advice to Management

Wake up and get with the times. Hire a consulting firm to come in and clean house.