Stars Behavioral Health Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "My experience at Star View"

Current Employee - Practicum Student in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Practicum Student in Carson, CA

I have been working at Stars Behavioral Health Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Very helpful, knowledgable, and accessible supervisors.
    -Fair, reliable pay and benefits
    -Multiple training opportunities
    -Nice, modern facilities
    -Manageable caseload
    -Great coworkers

Cons

-Progress notes can be a pain and field based work comes with a lot of driving but these downsides are both expected with this type of work
    -Sometimes can feel a bit corporate and political

Advice to Management

Come up with a less tedious way of having employees complete mileage expense reports

"I love my job at Central Star"

Current Employee - Youth Counselor in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Youth Counselor in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Stars Behavioral Health Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Make a difference in the life of a youth
    Team oriented
    Good starting pay for the area
    Nice facility
    Quality client care

Cons

Disorganized sometimes. It seems like the staff are not always on the same page about certain subjects.

"You like working with Gangs, At-Risk Youth, The Hood, and enjoy LOTS of driving!"

Former Employee - MHS II in Highland Park, CA
    Former Employee - MHS II in Highland Park, CA

I worked at Stars Behavioral Health Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people, extremely flexible, not tied to an office. Opportunity for lots of varied experiences.

Cons

Salary for MENTAL HEALTH SPECIALISTS is pathetic.

Advice to Management

You have the money, pay the clinicians who buy your BMW's.

"Keep looking"

Current Employee - Employment in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Employment in San Leandro, CA

Pros

Employees help each other out, friendly and welcoming employees, serving populations in need, outside trainings, some teams work well together, good resources provided by other employees-mentor and support new staff

Cons

Shocked at the lack of professionalism- upper management has poor leadership skills to develop and unite this organization, over 35 people have left under new management, building is shabby and outdated, only certain people are held accountable and the encounters are usually negative

Advice to Management

Listen to staff

Dec 19, 2016 – Director of Communications

Thank you for these important comments. We agree that Stars Community Services’ staff are great at supporting each other and working as a team. And we also agree that staff morale has been lower in ... More

"From Intern to Director level position in 5 years. Lots of opportunity for growth, management is great across the board"

Current Employee - IT Department in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - IT Department in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Stars Behavioral Health Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are the best in the industry, flexible work environment, generous paid time off. Opportunities for growth are great. I started as an intern 5 years ago and now I'm in a director level position. Management is extremely supportive and overall from the receptionist to the CEO, it's the people that make this place a great place to work and I enjoy coming into work everyday.

Cons

To encourage learning, it would be nice to see a better tuition reimbursement program for those that won't receive loan forgiveness from the government because of the specific role in the company. School is crucial to growth and opportunities imo.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide the support for those wanting to grow and carry on the mission of the company. I would not be where I am if it was not for the amazing support of my management team mentoring me, guiding me and teaching me.

"Good supervision and learning environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Stars Behavioral Health Group full-time

Pros

Felt supported by my supervisors and found co-workers supportive. Good place to start out and learn. Reasonable work expectations.

Cons

Salaries in the Bay Area are just difficult to live on.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Compton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Compton, CA

Pros

SBHG is a great place to work! The people are what makes the company and the team approach is super supportive. It is wonderful to come to a job that you love with amazing people around you that really put the client first.

Cons

Like similar companies, there is a push for productivity but once you learn how to manage your case load there is really no problems.

9. "Mental Health Specialist II - Wraparound program"

Former Employee - MFT Intern/Mental Health Specialist II in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - MFT Intern/Mental Health Specialist II in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Stars Behavioral Health Group (More than a year)

Pros

This agency has good benefits. The schedule to see patients is flexible and you can do the DMH paperwork at your home with the laptop that they provide to you. You get a lot of training.

Cons

The agency has been restructuring areas and programs for a long time and your teams, patients, and supervisors change constantly. Upper management has good intentions, but fails to see the needs of the employees. Many emplooyees quit and you are given double the number of patients that you should have to cover up for them. The paperwork (DMH) takes over your life. The work is intense (since involves all DCFS/probation cases), which can easily burn you out after a while, but what it really puts you over the edge is the constant changes in the agency. Team work becomes difficult when people are dissapointed with the agency and stop caring about the cases.

Advice to Management

Upper management has good intentions, but they don't care about burning out the teams when they are low in employees. They are focused in productivity and not in quality of care.

Oct 10, 2016 – Director of Communications

SBHG has continuously grown to serve more clients and families throughout the company’s 28-year history. This former employee’s experience seems to have been impacted by a period of change that has ... More

"Has potential but always lacks in execution of programs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I worked at Stars Behavioral Health Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

your ability and opportunity to help adolescents in need of support

Cons

huge lack of organization. too much focus on money-this seems to take away from the quality of care provided to the children.

Advice to Management

ensure that programs are actually being executed as opposed to staff just observing.

Sep 19, 2016 – Director of Communications

We are sorry to hear that this former employee feels this way. The quality of care provided to the children and adolescents at this facility in Torrance has always been and will always be our number ... More

"Social Worker"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

Pros

Great benefits. People are professional and approachable. The corporate team really cares about the employees. Employees are team oriented and support each other.

Cons

Pay is low and paperwork is immense.

Advice to Management

Continue to support employees and make the environment attractive.