Starving Students Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ethan Margalith

1. "Grateful for job"

I worked at Starving Students full-time

Pros

These people really care; good people doing good job !

Cons

Let go of people faster who don't perform well

Advice to Management

Bring in capital

2. "operations"

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Ops in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Ops in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I moved up the latter with in the company from mover to asst Director of Ops. within a few years. I got to meet people of all types but most of serving the customers was the best of all. I got to drive around all over So Cal on a daily basis visiting local branches and on job inspections. I really enjoyed working at SSM.

Cons

The job turn around is bad constantly training people! and i guess the schedule is horrible long hours not enough pay. other than that Great.

Advice to Management

Keep training movers!!! when i was there as a branch manager and asst director of ops i trained crews on how to move properly and pad wrap furniture and how to lift safely. Make sure the branch manager does actually goes out on job inspections to make sure crews are really doing the job correctly. most crews don't wrap furniture this will help your hours/move and most of all give the BEST MOVE TO THE CUSTOMER!!! when i started as a mover i only got 1 claim and it was my helper who broke a small lamp table other than that i never had a claim filed against me. I was part of the VIP crew for Mr. Ethan along side Charles Gray. As an asst director of ops i fired so many crew members for theft and doing side jobs because i would go out on job sites.Give bonuses to crews with no claims on a monthly basis they would feel appreciated and work harder for you. share the wealth to the smallest employees who are doing the hard work for you!!!

3. "Growing company with lots of potential"

I have been working at Starving Students full-time

Pros

Growing company right now that is going through lots of changes and expansion. Formerly nationwide operating company is getting business back up to full speed and will have ability to really take care of its employees in the near future. Private owned, can get face time with management and owners. Big office, lots of space in a great location. Lots of great food in Sawtelle Japantown.

Cons

Growing pains- lots of things shifting around with processes as changes are happening. As long as you can learn new things and multi task there is potential for good commissions. No fringe benefits right now but coming soon, makes up for it with comp plan.

5. "Terrible"

Pros

There is nothing good about this place.

Cons

The pay is terrible, the owner is nuts, corporate is a revolving door, the company is going down the tubes, the atmosphere is unprofessional as it gets, and there is no future for anyone here.

Advice to Management

Hire a CEO and start over if there is anything to save

6. "An Unprofessional Zoo Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Cannot think of any. The location is fine if you want to walk to restaurants on Sawtelle Blvd or if you are interested in cutting your life short by the cancer-zone proximity to the smog from the 405 Freeway.

Cons

Crass, unprofessional environment. Dealt with one employee swearing loudly all the time while I was on the phone with customers. Bait and switch tactics from management. They hire anyone that breathes and then set you up with animals in a zoo literally running around the office, swearing, overall unprofessional practices. reservation software from the 90s froze numerous times DAILY for the whole office. Management has no respect for employees.

Advice to Management

Go to hell.

7. "It was a great place to work overall until it bankrupted and business was stolen from the founder..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Pay, people, management, flexible schedule.

Cons

Company going through major financial stress.

Advice to Management

Pray.

8. "Great Company to be partners with."

Current Employee - Owner in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Owner in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Its an honor to be part of a great moving company, we are currently handling Utah and I noticed that most of our customer either from California and Nevada who are currently moving with in Utah, most of our customers are repeat from previous moves done in those States ( California and Nevada) we are happy to be part of that great experience and our job is to keep that legend of Quality Control Satisfaction for the Customers !

Cons

Don't have any cons to share, very happy with them.

Advice to Management

Your guys Rock !

"Staff"

Pros

Nice people to work with and learned a lot about my work.

Cons

People are already comfortable of where they are and they are resistant to change

10. "Company in the toliet"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Starving Students full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of room to advance... Not much in the way of upper management left at this company.

Cons

Company is bankrupt and dying slowly. Years of mismanagement, to an Owner who is trying to control everything without the experience or knowledge needed. Owner is rude, unprofessional, and condescending to employees. The owner also likes to make outside vendors upset with you when he torpedoes the deals he was perfectly happy with the day before.

Advice to Management

When you hire someone to do the job, do not cut them off at the knees constantly and let them do what you hired them to do. Update all of your systems, and get the owner out of the day to day life of all employees. Take the owners Ipad and Iphone away from him, and get him to stop saying his father has to see everything.

11. "My experience with Starving Students have been phenomenal."

I have been working at Starving Students full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is opportunity to grow and move to various positions in the company. The owner/ founder works hard to build this company for over 40 years.

Cons

Team effort versus individual accomplishments. More "we" and less "me" will give better results. We as a team motivate each other for the success as a whole.

Advice to Management

Provide motivating incentives. Group meetings on monthly basis. Goals, commitment to goals, costs, and provide company feedback.