State Farm Reviews in Bloomington, IL | Glassdoor

Michael L. Tipsord

1. "Great Place to work"

Current Contractor - Performance Test Engineer in Bloomington, IL
    Current Contractor - Performance Test Engineer in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at State Farm as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Huge Enterprise Experience with latest technologies.

Cons

Located in Central Illinois which is very cold most of the times.

2. "Claims Adjuster"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Bloomington, IL
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at State Farm as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Environment friendly, meet great people from different backgrounds

Cons

Sometime the work get very slow at times, very frustrating

3. "The 'Golden Handcuffs' Are Real"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Bloomington, IL

I worked at State Farm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance at State Farm was amazing! I miss this most. They take care of you there. My job felt secure and if I were to put in the time I could slowly move up the ranks.

Cons

If you're looking for an exciting design career, State Farm might not be the place for you. However, if you dig deep and show interest in areas that get you excited, management will work with you. Be prepared to be stonewalled at every twist and turn when it comes to creative ideas. You're working for an insurance company after all!

"State Farm as a whole is taking a turn for the worse"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at State Farm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Pay is not bad for this area. There are still some good managers around that cares for your development. I have to freedom to move around if I see an internal opportunity that better fits my skill and so far all my managers have been supportive of this.

2. I'm an exempt employee so I don't feel all that micromanaging that people are talking about here. Yes, there is 1-1 with manager each week, or every 2 weeks, but that depends on whether you like to have them and you are not required to have them. I don't see that as micromanaging, but an opportunity to communicate my progress and my concerns with management and they can communicate their expectation to me. It creates a more productive environment.

3. Pension is still there and that's great! However, there are rumors that they'll "change" it down the road due to recent company under-performance.

4. The time off system has been changed -- it wasn't as good as before, but still great compared to other companies I've worked for. Some complains about limited sick days versus unlimited sick days before. I can't see how this is a valid complain -- I don't know any company that gives unlimited sick days so this is rather just moving to industry standard.

5. Perks are nice such as bonuses and free trips if you pass one of the sponsored insurance designation. A lot of other industry related education are reimbursable as well. They also pay for your Master's degree.

6. Depending on the department, work life balance can be good, but I heard that's changing as well.

Cons

1. Way too difficult to change anything around here. All this preaching about "Change" from senior leadership but the fact is you can't change anything. Senior leadership perhaps already has a vision for the company or its subsidiaries and they aren't going to take "no" for an answer. I feel they care about their bonus and "making things look good" more than actual, organic growth.

2. They put in all those layers of "validation" functions but in reality they are just multiple layers of people playing "devil's advocate". I would recognize their value if they actually add any. However, the reality is most of those people are completely unqualified to give any opinion. They hire students straight from college with zero industry experience to "audit" a process that they probably have no understanding whatsoever. As a result, most of those functions come up with "findings" that makes absolutely no sense. Yet, you must deal with it because it's a "finding". Rather than giving some real and useful advice, these multiple layers of "defense" functions have this "got you" kind of mentality, which really a backward force. Most of us who have 5+ years of industry experience and a Master's or PhD just don't want to deal with this kind of absurdity and hence we'd rather keep our mouth shut when people asks us if there's a better model.

3. This is an extension of the above. Again, these "validation" functions doesn't contribute real values but focus mostly on procedures and documentation. I understand you need those, but they would go so far as to ask us to write a 200+ page book on how to perform a simple task.

4. There's a barometer survey each month to rate your manager. It's a 10 question multiple choice survey which is completely and utterly useless. You cannot put a comment there. I know some manager actually retaliates against you if you give them bad ratings so most employees probably don't even write the truth there.

5. I have not directly dealt with the Enterprise Claims department. However, I heard from people who works there that they are completely burned out and they are not treated as human beings. Senior Management doesn't seem to understand that failure to treat your client facing employees with dignity is what's driving the current losses.

Advice to Management

1. There should be ways to communicate employee concerns to multiple levels of management, not just a simple multiple choice survey.

2. Why would you ask your most highly paid and highly educated employees to spend most of their time dealing with tasks that can be completed by anyone with a college degree? Instead of paying those insane salaries to those "validation" teams, you'd rather hire some assistants for your most valuable statisticians and have the assistants complete the procedural documents -- that's money well spent! I interned at an equity research firm and almost every quant have at least 1-2 assistant helping them dealing with model documentations.

3. Senior leadership needs to stop being so overconfident and really speak to clients and associates directly and understand what their concerns are. Again, instead of focusing so much on documentations and procedures, why not hire some people to call back clients who recently cancelled their policy and find out why, especially those who have been with State Farm for a very long time. At least for me, if I were to cancel a policy that I have held for more than 5 years, there must be a very good reason -- find out what that reason is.

4. A random sample of 30 people can contain enough diversity to give you some idea what the issues are. Why not randomly select a good sample of Claims associates and ask them about client concerns, what influences those associates to provide remarkable service and what's stopping them from providing such service. Senior leadership, you have to understand that not everyone is as capable or as efficient as yourselves. You can't expect your bottom people, who are paid very little money to perform as if they had an MBA from Harvard. Listen to them, lower your ego, and try to see things from their perspective.

5. Do you think cutting cost is the way to go? I see a number of cost cutting since last year -- does senior leadership honestly believe this will miraculously increase sales, or retain customers? I can name three major companies that went under in the past decade which would probably have survived if they chose innovation rather than meaningless cost cutting. Instead of taking away benefits or perks from your people, who are directly dealing with your clients, a bigger focus should be on what's driving the lowered sales and higher cancellations.

Bottom line, I am not going to claim I know how to run a Fortune 100 company, but looking at the recent trends, it is obvious that your current strategy is not working. So perhaps it's time to really drop your ego and really discover what's driving the decline, before it's too late!

5. "It's ok"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bloomington, IL

I worked at State Farm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work environment is great. Peers are great to work with.

Cons

Loterally no notice if contract is up and they no longer need services.

Advice to Management

Family first is the motto, I suggest following though with that. Don't treat reps like numbers.

"Going downhill"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent medical benefits
    Regular raises
    Retirement benefits
    Embrace diversity

Cons

The company's technical infrastructure is so outdated that changes are overly expensive and time consuming. The company is decades behind in technology and will continue to lag. I'm in a unit with a customer-facing product that is extremely broken, yet enough funds never get approved to fix it, year after year. I completely understand prioritization and budgeting, but in nearly 15 years with the company, the very conservative nature is proving to be to its detriment.

Advice to Management

Invest more money in actual, meaningful change. Upgrade technological infrastructure. Don't pretend to be agile when you really can't be.

"Claims"

Current Employee - Claims Specialist in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Claims Specialist in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, easy short disability, strong company, bonus, friendly managers, employees, pension, training, designations pays for trips easy to change departments

Cons

Too much change, trying to many things and just going back to the way it was done before, CEO, waste

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and outside consumer reports like JD Powers for starters

8. "ClaimProcessor"

Former Employee - Claims Associate in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Claims Associate in Bloomington, IL

I worked at State Farm (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, work load was overwhelming some days but we all would help out each other.

Cons

No room for advancement, unless you were willing to move out of state. The Company lost too many experienced people by moving out of NJ.

Advice to Management

Make others accountable for their errors.

"Claims Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of great people that work with you.

Cons

Management do not take into consideration that needs of their employees

Advice to Management

Take some time to really get to know your employees, putting the customer first is very important, but the growth and sustainability of your company depends on the employees that you development and nurture.

"Good overall"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very family-friendly and good work-life balance. Very stable, people are rarely let go due to work slowdowns. Lots of perks.

Cons

Pay could be better. Systems department has lots of red tape. Slow to implement new technology.

Advice to Management

Stick to a five year plan. Don't have one initiative after another stall within a year or two.

Showing 382 of 5,432 reviews