State Farm Claim Associate-ILR Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Too much micromanagement"

Current Employee - Claims Associate -ILR in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Claims Associate -ILR in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

State Farm has good benefits and good people. There is an extensive training program.

Cons

The metrics are unbearable. State Farm is losing customers and great employees because of the micromanagement of each call. Average handle time is recorded daily and "coached" in front of the team on a daily basis if not met. It's nearly impossible to give the quality of customer service that State Farm customers need and deserve during a claim call during the time allotted to do so. The stress and the constant "coaching" is driving good employees away.

Advice to Management

Listen to your front line employees-- the people actually doing the job. We are smart people and know what we are doing. We understand it costs the company money when our call times are 30 seconds longer than average. We understand that it means more people need to be on the phone. However, what management doesn't seem to understand is how frustrated the employees AND customers are with being rushed through the claim process. State Farm will more than make up for the handful of extra employees required to be on the phones by retaining more State Farm customers, making new customers with excellent customer service to claimants, and not having to retrain new associates when frustrated associates leave.

2. "Honest opinion from MY experience"

Former Employee - Claims Associate -ILR in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Claims Associate -ILR in Richardson, TX

I worked at State Farm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

State Farm is a great company to work for. The perks pf being an employee are amazing! The company's values are phenomenal; they work with you and care about you as an individual as well as your family. The benefits they provide are truly unmatched by any company I've worked for.

Cons

The starting pay wasn't that great as a Claims Associate compared to what GEICO starts theirs at. The 2 teams I was on during my time there were managed by new people, meaning the Team Managers had never held the position before and didn't really know what they were doing. The TM I had before leaving this position was promoted from a Team Lead position, which was surprising given that she never helped anyone when they had a question. She constantly would talk to other TMs around us and I couldn't even hear my customers or myself think. She played favorites and would talk about going out to clubs and getting drunk with other team members. I was the only one she had a problem with for whatever reason. Maybe it was because I kept to myself and just cared about doing my job.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to really consider someone's character and values before promoting them to manage others. Team Managers should have a "team" mindset. They should also have decorum about them. There's a time and place for everything and they should be expected to behave in a professional manner while on the company's time. Also, favoritism should be avoided. Any individuals who can't seem to respect all of the team members they manage should be replaced, or not even considered for such leadership positions to begin with.

"Get In then Get Out"

Current Employee - Claims Associate -ILR in Dunwoody, GA
    Current Employee - Claims Associate -ILR in Dunwoody, GA

I have been working at State Farm (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay. Paid Time Off. Holiday shift bids. It looks great on a resume.

Cons

The metrics can seem impossible to meet a times. You are literally a verbal punching bag to rude customers and the agent staff members. Your calls are monitored, recorded, and scructinized with a fine tooth comb. They expect the associates to perform with the perfection of robots, yet be human and compassionate. All of which is done while multi-tasking, listening, interpreting, being empathetic and having the customer off the phone in 15 minutes 45 seconds. If you are desperate for a job and concerned mostly about the pay and not with job satisfaction, this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

How do you all not concern yourselves with such a high turn over rate? There is a reason this department is a revolving door.

4. "Management was horrible."

Former Employee - Claims Associate -ILR in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Claims Associate -ILR in Tempe, AZ

I worked at State Farm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ver nice building to work in.

Cons

Poor management. Don't care about employees.

5. "ILR Associate"

Former Employee - Claims Associate -ILR in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Claims Associate -ILR in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at State Farm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very focused on customer service and quality through thorough training and professional environment.

Cons

I wasn't able to fully see and experience the broad array of specializations and departments/opportunities.

Advice to Management

Keep up the one of a kind training and energy! The environment is great to work in and for being such a customer involved environment with high emotions.

"State Farm ILR position"

Former Employee - Claims Associate -ILR in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Claims Associate -ILR in Tacoma, WA

I worked at State Farm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, fortune 500 company, good wages and room for growth.

Cons

High turnover, too many metrics and rules change too much, almost have to be like a robot.

Advice to Management

None

"fair working conditions...."

Current Employee - Claims Associate -ILR in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Associate -ILR in Richardson, TX

I have been working at State Farm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nice new building to work in

Cons

team managers can be somewhat unhelpful to promote. the way the team managers treat some team members is awful.

Advice to Management

there are a lot of good employees looking to get promoted and team managers are holding them back....please allow that to change. We shouldn't have to have team manager support to promote. we should be able to do it on our own.

8. "Full Time ILR Claims Associate"

Current Employee - Claims Associate -ILR in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Claims Associate -ILR in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at State Farm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great energy from all different roles in company. You set your brand and how you will move forward with the company. Plenty of room for advancement, and it is encouraged to do so. They help you to constantly grow yourself and offer a lot of awesome resources. Great company that make sure you know that you are a vital part, no matter how "small" the position

Cons

Not very any con's unless your the type of employee to go out of your way to make them. Not a lot of "swag". No discounts on insurance

"ILR"

Current Employee - Claims Associate -ILR in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Claims Associate -ILR in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at State Farm part-time

Pros

There is nothing positive about state farm.

Cons

Management and H.R. lie about EVERYTHING.

Advice to Management

Figure it out yourself, No advice from me.

10. "Great place to work."

Current Employee - Claim Associate-ILR (Initial Loss Reporting) in Richardson, TX

I have been working at State Farm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited overtime, great benefits 401k. Many opportunities for advancement. Management always willing to help and support the employees in advancing in the company.

Cons

Strict point attendance system, too much micro management, once you have bid for a shift you can not change the shift for one year when the next bid takes place.

Advice to Management

Needs less micro management