State Farm Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
State Farm President and CEO Michael L. Tipsord
Michael L. Tipsord

Cons

"The company has changed for the worse. Now treats its employees like children. It's a surreal situation."

Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Marlborough Park, AZ
    Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Marlborough Park, AZ

Pros

The employees are wonderful, intelligent and hard working. It was a real pleasure working with them. That's about it for the pros.

Cons

The company is consolidating to just 4 locations in the US. Everyone remaining in the other offices are expendable and are treated as such.

Advice to Management

There is zero chance that any advice would be considered by management.

"State Farm Bank / St Louis"

Current Employee - Credit in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Credit in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pension/401k that's about it anymore

Cons

State Farm Bank has become an adsolute dump over the last few years, they will constantly ask for flexibility but offer none in return. It does not matter what you know when it comes to advancement. Supervisors have no backbone

Advice to Management

Wake up, treat employees honestly
    Stop the assembly line mentality

"Not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Associate-Claims Support/Claims Support Associate in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at State Farm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Annual profit sharing bonus that varies based on the success of the company. Rumor has it, that may not last long.

Cons

No work-life balance. Unless you're dead, don't expect to be able to call in or take a day off to go to the doctors - not that you'll have the time to begin with. Regardless of how long you've been there, people earn between 1 and 2 days off every month and when I left, there was no available time off for another 3+ months. If an emergency comes up? Oh well! Your boss will not be understanding and unless you can get it protected through FMLA (which requires you be there a year), it will count against you!

There is very little organization with this department. One of our locations and partners is set to close but nobody could tell you the specifics about it.

There is very little room for advancement. I was there for a few years and there were maybe 4 positions in other departments that were posted. A lot of employees believe that is because they will eventually relocate and close all operations centers. They just announced plans to close about 11 so it looks like they're headed that way.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging and talking down to your employees. Realize that they are humans just like you. You have the opportunity to influence and change the work environment and your employee's attitudes. If everyone is unhappy and several people are leaving, it's time for you to look into WHY...you just might be the problem or part of it.

"Claim associate"

Former Employee - Claims Associate - Express in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Claims Associate - Express in Frederick, MD

I worked at State Farm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Absolutely none....terrible company and managers

Cons

Mandatory holidays (potentially every major holiday you'll have to work), employees terminated for no reason, impossible micro managing, lying about coverages to policyholders and breaking the law, managers do not understand laws and even refuse to allow employees to read hr policies

Advice to Management

Follow laws, follow your auto policy, stop closing sites with seniority, care about employees and customers, close or do voluntary only on holidays

"Horrible company"

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Representative in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Representative in Lewisville, TX

I worked at State Farm part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learn a lot from being here and mostly just phone calls and paperwork and a lot more which I can say learning lesson.

Cons

Not enough minimum wage and not what I expect which seems very bad to work for because low professionalism and management is horrible.

Advice to Management

Needs new management that seem more professional and not mean.

"SIU claims"

Current Employee - SIU Claims in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - SIU Claims in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None. The changes that have taken place especially over the last five years have made this a company that I would never recommend to even my enemy. It's truly sad. There used to be so many pros- Great work life balance, great benefits, competitive salaries, secure employment, authority/decision making opportunities to name a few. It used to be a company you were proud to work for & a "career" . Now it's a paycheck & a job. You rarely have opportunity to make decisions & use your brain. (Everything is guided by process & the SCP's). Unbelievable how much has gone downhill in 25 years. SF has finally started keeping up with technology - but failed to maintain the part of the company that has allowed them to reach the level they have

Cons

There are many cons. Zero job security unless you are willing to work in the 4 hubs--Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix or Bloomington. And then good luck if you are in the claims environment, be prepared for EOM management principles & T2 attendance system (I.e., factory type system). Good luck trying to get time off, especially at the last minute because you will have points assessed against you.- even for your child's wedding or if you possibly suffered a heart attack (true stories!) All of the changes over the last five years are always prefaced with "this is what our customer wants"-- although SF dropped 19 places in one year in JDPowers Claims satisfaction Study since these changes (EOM!) have been implemented. While we do still have a pension, each year changes are made to lessen the benefit (so new hires -- don't count on much - but with all the changes being made - you likely won't stick around long enough to become vested!) mgmt conveniently now has "plausible deniability" -- with many changes recently announced (11 offices closing) - mid mgmt claiming they were unaware of the changes being implemented by executive mgmt (to try to explain some prior actions on their behalf) - protecting themselves against lawsuits.
    There is zero trust in management. Turn over rates in the hubs are very high (60-70%).
    1st level mgmt is usually great. Executive mgmt could careless & can not be trusted.

Advice to Management

Advice to mgmt wouldn't matter - they don't listen- which is why there has been a decline in this company over the last 5 years. Unhappy frontline=unhappy customers.

"Claims Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at State Farm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Its a call center job if that is what you are looking for. If you don't mind clocking in, micromanagement, limit opportunities for advancement, unrealistic metrics, no work life balance, no flexibility, mandatory overtime (or get written up), point system, and leadership knowing nothing, than this is the position for you. This company was not like this before it use to be a nice place to work.

Cons

The company has been restructuring for about 4 years or more. Most all the changes have impacted employees negatively. All claims roles are call center positions which includes micromanagement and metrics. Very high turn overrate, more people quit than get fired. Under staffed due to high turnover therefore most departments will not release employees and there is no room to advance your career.

Advice to Management

Stop Micromanaging its unnecessary and only makes employees quit. If you are unable with your role do not take it out on your staff imagine how they feel.

"Don't put yourself through it!"

Current Employee - Secretary II in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Secretary II in Dallas, TX

I have been working at State Farm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After much turnover there are always plenty of openings. They do have some benefits, but after the hell you receive, it's just not worth it.

Cons

Ask yourself why did others leave State Farm to make room for you to be hired?! Overwhelmed with work!! Underpaid! People are crying up there! NO work/life balance. NO overtime to catch up if you take your paid time off, or get sick. You get written up! NO MERCY! You get in trouble for EVERYTHING! You'd have more freedom in PRISON I bet! At least they get "yard time." No one seems to help others, or cannot due to being overworked. It makes me wonder if supervisors would put their sons/daughters in this Strict/NO excuses environment? Some people are favored and get points waived if need to leave early for a reason they agree is worthy of dismissing your points. Others…NO. There's some Black n White dynamics which come into play in the mostly black supervisor environment at Dallas HUB. Secretaries are timed for every minute they step away with the phone system--must login/logout like a call center. They spend a lot of time drumming up how great State Farm is in training, then BAM! How do you like it NOW?! Two 15 min breaks? Forget it! They gladly take those 2-1/2 hours (we’re supposed to get) back so you can beat yourself to death to even attempt to get everything done, but you never can!! It never stops. Sales Leaders are demanding and unappreciative! Who can survive in that environment? I worry about the older people they hire. If they passed out, they’d step over them and go on! Call center agents are timed and told to get off the phone, which doesn't always take care of the client's problems. NO ONE IN MANAGEMENT IS LISTENING! See BAD outlook for company. The environment and atmosphere is more and more stress charged. One person already "lost it" and went a little postal, scaring employees. Expect more will snap. Company is asking for it, as supervisors relax and sit in their offices and laugh loudly and enjoy their day until they can find someone to "jump on" for something…like a spider on a fly. Some, (not all) Supervisors like to YELL at the employees and make them feel inadequate instead of helping them find solutions. I think best supervisor up there is Drew. Never heard anything bad about him. The turnover rate proves people do not enjoy working here in the CUBE FARM. I never experienced slavery till I came here. Praying to get out before I suffer a stress-related attack of some sort. WHY DIDN"T I READ THE REVIEWS ON GLASSDOOR.COM !!!!!! oh, WHY!!! Take heed! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!! Heard that after they closed the Sales Leaders offices and brought their secretary to Dallas, they saved a lot of money by giving her (or him) 3-4 people to work for. Many went back where they came from.

Advice to Management

Listen before someone up there snaps and hurts others! If you see the signs in the past, make changes!! Work flow needs to be better monitored. Don't overload so many people, while others have time to laugh and visit and be on their phones. NOT a fair environment. Though I'm sure I'm wasting my breath!

"Express Claims Associate"

Former Employee - Claims Associate - Express in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Claims Associate - Express in Tempe, AZ

I worked at State Farm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company has longevity; Lots of long-time customers; Consistency.

Cons

Angry customers, angry customers... did I mention angry customers? Always on phones and never know WHO you are going to get on the line. Ridiculous metrics. Not everyone can take call after call after call for two hours straight... sorry! Again angry/rude customers whether State Farm policyholders or not. A lot of policyholders yelling at you and saying they are going to switch insurance companies like it's YOUR fault! Um... think again!! Glad I left this super stressful, awful position!

Advice to Management

Robots, all of them. Most are very nice human beings, but are so caught up in the BS metrics and call center standards that I feel sorry for them. Oh well, their own choice.

"Zero work/life balance or stability"

Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Miami, FL

I worked at State Farm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits were great, but the pay was not. Unless you're working a ton of overtime, it's not worth it. My colleagues were some of the best people I've met in my life. State Farm does its due diligence to hire talented, educated, goal-oriented people.

Cons

I didn't have job stability from the minute I stepped foot in the door. On day one, they told me and the others in my training class that our employment was contingent upon us passing three tests; it would've been nice to know before I had relocated! Soon after we had all passed our tests, we were advised that there would be organizational changes and some offices may be closing. I went to "claim school" at corporate in Bloomington, IL and raised my hand while in a meeting among senior management and asked what the reorganization would mean for us and I received a cookie cutter response. Within a few months, we received word from management that our office would be closing and we would have to relocate. I relocated to another office after being promised that there would be ample opportunity for advancement, which was a LIE. From the moment I got there, people started quitting left and right and no jobs were being posted. This has continued to happen and while I left many years ago, I did hear that office is now closing as well. The metrics, "huddles," the huddle boards, "forecasting & scheduling," and management caused me to have nightmares. There was zero work/life balance, as I was always worrying about what kind of bad news they were going to roll out in the next cloak and dagger meeting. I've never been more depressed or anxious in my life than when I worked for State Farm. It caused a lot of issues in my personal life and I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Take a note from Google.

Showing 536 of 5,426 reviews