State Farm Reviews | Glassdoor

Michael L. Tipsord

"Claims Specialist"

Current Employee - Claims Specialist in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Specialist in Irving, TX

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits
    401K, health insurance and pension

Cons

A lot has changed at State Farm the last few years. The company has been pinching pennies at the cost of dollars. The metrics have wrecked their good neighbor brand, but they may have saved a few cents limiting man hours. Now they realize customers and employees are not satisfied. Now the company goals for the next year is to coach to quality and quantity. I truly believe they are no longer the good neighbor- they are more like the selfish and "stingy" neighbor. I strongly dislike the prison that I live in each day. Additionally, I am underemployed and under paid. State Farm gives the perception that you can "move up" but now that I took the claims role, they have placed us on a stabalization. I did not got to college chool for so long to be stuck in a glorified call center.

Advice to Management

Go back to the way things were. If it's not broken don't fix it. Focus on getting your talented employees in jobs that fit their skills. Quit degrading your employees by unnecessarily micromanaging. Don't waste another second on paying high dollars for analysts who are working off of theory and cutting you quality along with the pennies. I'm so very disappointed that you sell the good neighbor brand and you no longer give the employees the time needed for the personal touch to be delivered to our loyal customers who have been paying high premiums and absolutely deserve a moment of our time.

"No longer a great company"

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Winter Haven, FL
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Winter Haven, FL

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great health insurance benefits, 401k and pension (n longer offered to new employees).

Cons

So many. Used to be a great company to work for, until the new CEO. State Farm used to be family and customer oriented, now it's all about numbers and metrics. The micromanaging is ridiculous, to the point of being told when you can use the bathroom and getting in trouble for being on the phone too long with customers. Claim reps also have two phones, a direct line and a 800 line. If you miss a 800 call you get in trouble. The workload and goal expectations are unrealistic, esp
    When the company is understaffed due to constantly losing employees. Long term good employees have left, leaving a very inexperienced work force or independents. Employees are stressed , overworked and under appreciated and management doesn't care, they just want numbers to make them look good. Vacation bids are offered at the beginning of the year and if you don't take a Friday or Monday, your out of luck because they're unavailable the remainder of the year. Must be willing to move to a awful HUB to advance your career.

Advice to Management

No advice because it won't change anything. Mangers only care about metrics.

3. "Initial Loss Reporter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I worked at State Farm part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay. If you like repetitive easy jobs, then it's the job for you. Has wonderful insurance and benefits. If you can stand the first 6 months, great growth opportunities.

Cons

The job was terribly boring. Everyday was dealing with others on their worst day. It was extremely repetitive and was the exact call center environment you'd expect.

"Not like the old days"

Former Employee - Field Representative in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Field Representative in Irvine, CA

I worked at State Farm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was a Field claims specialist for the Fire and Casualty Co. Mostly did building damage and liability claims. Benefits were above average. Then, they took assigned company cars away. Vacations were hard to schedule. Lots of micromanagement. Hard to promote unless you knew someone. Management usually promoted someone from out of state, leading to poor morale for local employees unable or unwilling to move to another city.

Cons

See above re promotions and mobility. Some insurance companies still offer assigned cars to their field adjusters. From other reviews, it seems micromanagement has only gotten worse. Micromanagement and metrics only leads to poor employee morale. Leaving State Farm was the best thing I did for my insurance career.

Advice to Management

Become more competitive and offer benefits in line with other companies. Ease up on the metrics. Employees want to do a good job but can not if not given proper time to handle a claim to conclusion.

"Used to be a great company. Not so much anymore"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Branded and reputable company with 90+ years in business. Increased opportunities for those trained and certified in IT and systems.

Cons

Pay is no longer competitive and most are underpaid for the workload and performance expectations. Speaks work life balance but there is an insinuated expectation for after hours work to handle workload. Back to back meetings daily make it impossible to complete assignments. Micromanagement behaviors disguised as leader standard work and employee engagement programs. Constant change in processes, leadership and structure lacking well thought out plans. Advancement opportunities has reverted back to who you know and pursuit of industry education that is rarely applied or practiced in day to day operations. Systems and technology dated despite heightened focus over past few years. Company continues to lose tenured, experienced employees due to constant change, uncaring upper management and HR practices focused on avoiding lawsuits instead of protecting employees.

Advice to Management

Thoroughly plan all aspects of change prior to implementation. Listen to forward thinking of associates; there are many talented people working for you. Get back to a caring environment.

"Claims Associate"

Current Employee - Claims Associate - Express in Dunwoody, GA
    Current Employee - Claims Associate - Express in Dunwoody, GA

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great health insurance, tuition reimbursement, ability to obtain insurance designations, 401k plan, and pension. The State Farm brand carries a lot weight

Cons

The job itself is easy, but it's stressful due to unreasonable metrics expectations. Low pay. 18 month incumbency period in current position even though during the interview we were told it was 6 months for a promotion and 12 months for a lateral position. No work-life balance. Constant changes that don't appear to be for the betterment of the employees, but more of a set up for failure or to prevent a performance rating high enough to get a decent raise.

Advice to Management

Be consistent. Listen to your employees. Work with us instead of against us. Don't make it seem easy to advance but make it hard to do so. Make it easier for employees with children, especially small children to have a work life balance.

"RUN! Unless you REALLY NEED a JOB"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice coworkers.
    Good caring people.
    Money is deposited into your acct bi- weekly

Cons

Micromanaging has become overboard. There is a report for everything. They take "Flexible and Adaptable" to a new level. Pay sucks compared to every other insurance company-just compare salaries
    They've segmented everything so much that they leave you skillless in insurance field.
    You have to Earn PTO which equates to 5.5 hours every pay period.
    It just sucks. It's like a black hole. The morale sucks. The jobs suck, upper management pretends to care but don't. If you're looking for a career, pass GO.... collect 200 and keep looking. Do NOT join the Farm. If you're in need of money and anything will suffice, go for it!

Advice to Management

You cannot micromanage everything for the sake of showing numbers in a presentation. There are real people putting in work for your company.
    Treat employees like adults . No one should be subjected to answering calls in a call center as an UNDERWRITER back to back to back to back to back without knowing how to be a real underwriter.

"Underpaid"

Current Employee - Claims Associate in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Claims Associate in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very nice location and new building at Tempe town lake with great views. Lots of places to go and hide on your brand and lunches

Cons

Low pay for doing a lot of work. They keep giving employees more responsibilities without compensating for it and it brings down the morale when you hire people from the street and pay then the same as tenture employees

"Claims Associate"

Former Employee - Claims Associate in Dunwoody, GA
    Former Employee - Claims Associate in Dunwoody, GA

I worked at State Farm full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and good salary with possible annual bonus. Private desk area.

Cons

VERY fast paced and highly corporate focused. Non mandatory overtime will be needed to complete your work. Secretarial skills and high typing skills needed.

Advice to Management

Provide discipline and even termination for managers and employees who abuse other employees. Respect your employees before you consider the metrics.

"Agency Experience"

Current Employee - Agent Staff - Customer Service/Sales in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Agent Staff - Customer Service/Sales in Phila, PA

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interaction between the customers and the support staff at corporate. Our office gets casual Friday and the agent has been around for quite a while.

Cons

The State Farm systems are so outdated and need to be reworked. Yet, State Farm will pay big bucks to produce items that the agency doesn't use on a daily basis. I personally feel there is no longer a strong connection between the agency and corporate, even with the agents being contractors. Our personal office has a constant turnover and is losing the connection with the people in our surrounding community. There is also only a care for the sales, but service is been put on the back burner, which goes hand and hand with the increase in cancellations that we've had. To help retain business, you must have this service, but our agent doesn't think it's important. The agent also doesn't speak nicely to customers and blows them off.

Advice to Management

State Farm corporate should have a yearly review of the agent's business (sales, staff, etc) and hold them more accountable as the agent is the face of the business.

Showing 667 of 5,310 reviews