State Farm Reviews | Glassdoor

"Mostly Good, but..."

Current Employee - Licensed Property and Casualty Representative
    Current Employee - Licensed Property and Casualty Representative

I have been working at State Farm full-time

Pros

As a licensed representative you work for the Agent and if your agent is a good boss, then that's a nice plus.

Cons

So much automation and lack of personalized represntatves beyond the agents offices themselves make it difficult sometimes. We are on the front lines and have to deal with many irritated customers for things that are beyond or control and that THEY shouldn't have to worry about, much less us. For example, submitting paperwork or a change and it taking many days and sometimes weeks to process, and often a bill or letter automaticaly going out to the customer NOT reflecting that change causing them to be confused and upset and us having to reassure them that it's been done.

Advice to Management

I've only been there for a year, but I've heard that claims and underwriting used to be more local, with underwriters able to occasionally make decisions on their own PLUS being able to develop relstionships with and an understanding of the local agencies and issues. Too much focus on automation sometimes actually makes more paperwork, more confusion on the part of the customer, and therfore hurts our ability for our insureds to trust and appreciate the company as a whole. Also, be willing and open to listneing to feedback from actual represntatives, and not just the agents themsleves, and be willing and open as a company in general for constructive criticism and honest feedback. Offer affordable opportunities for employees of agents to contribut towards getting health care benefits without agents having to pay for all of it if offered.

2. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Producer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Producer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at State Farm part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work-life balance is great. Very competitive pay and benefits structure and a real commitment from the company to investing into the employees through education reimbursement and personal/professional enrichment.

Cons

There are no cons I can think of

"Claims specialist"

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits including a pension

Cons

Lack of adequate training in the new model. Lack of resources and willingness for the company to retrain . The company used to provide excellent thorough training but is not gone to modules and no expert's to ask available. Been working there for 23 years and have decided this is the end of the line. I cannot deal with an inefficient company who's management refuses to listen to their employees needs

Advice to Management

Authorize retraining with experience trainers and offer the opportunity to contact that trainer for any future needs

4. "Prior to our reorganization we were concerned ourselves both with satisfying customers and developing our people."

Current Employee - Claims Team Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Team Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

An attractive major medical healthcare package.
    Tuition reimbursement after one year of employment, with qualifying grades.
    Employee discount program, local and US.

Cons

Salary is no longer competitive.
    PTO / sick time is no longer advantageous, especially for new employees.
    Inability to keep up with technology trends and customer demand will surely cause the company to lose market share.
    Demands places on management are unreasonable, met with unreasonable expectations to subordinates.
    Policies are conflicting and accountability is inconsistent.

Advice to Management

Reorganization and reduction of has occurred at the incorrect level across multiple departments. We've paid multiple third party vendors millions of policyholder dollars to tell us what we already knew about OUR business, implement changes that were not to the benefit of OUR customers (remember those MUTUAL policyholders - the ones, who in theory, own our business??)

Training is poor, skill sets have been reduced to glorified phone operators, management oversees metrics - not quality driven, customer centric service and deliverables. New departments exist purely to be proud of the paper they produce. Yet, VPOs and OVPs are amazed we continue to lose market share.... that JD Power scores are failing.... customer complaints are soaring.... attrition and termination rates are at an all time high. Morale is plummeting daily, alongside Agent and customer confidence.

"A once great company destroyed by business process consulting"

Current Employee - Agency Team Lead in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Agency Team Lead in Irving, TX

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay for internal employees, provided they act like sheep with a serious caffeine habit.

Cons

Agency is a whole different story though. Agents are subcontractors who are often absentee and almost entirely disconnected from their clients and their workforce. While underwriting standards have been raised systemically prices have also increased as well as sales requirements. Metrics internally have been transformed into a beating for all employees and consolidation has lead to a drought of knowledge endemic in the organization in the interest of saving a few bucks. Actual employee staffing levels have decreased enterprise wide and have been supplemented with a rotation of contingent contract staff. Once a mutual corporation that paid dividends to policyholders now incentivizes bad policy holder collection by not supporting the sales force to retain quality business.

Advice to Management

Stop living by metrics and start rewarding quality people. Update your archaic tech and quit hiring other companies to fix your problems that must be conquered in house. Stop rotating quality management to problem areas. Listen to your internals especially the ones with Tenure but who are still young enough to provide valuable input. Stop trying to metric every conversation.

6. "PIP claim specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some team manager are fantastic, most team members are great to work with.

Cons

The workload is completely unreasonable, it creates an environment where you don't have time to actually care about people.

"HR Business Partner/ Rep"

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative

I have been working at State Farm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Used to be stability

Cons

Took too long to make necessary changes

Advice to Management

Focus on valuing the people again
    Focus on the first line leader and equip them and empower them

8. "Work for an agent - Account Rep"

I have been working at State Farm full-time

Pros

Not many. Each agent is independently owned and operated, so few if any provide medical, dental, or benefits.

Cons

Work your tail off so the agent can get rich. Three straight years of rate increases are driving customers away in droves. Rates for new business are sky high and make it difficult to close sales

9. "Bank Business Analyst"

Current Employee - Bank Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Bank Business Analyst

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and work-life relationship

Cons

No Cons at this time

10. "Production Planner"

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good environment and nice people

Cons

position could be outsourced in the future

Advice to Management

Employee morale

Showing 3,366 of 5,572 reviews