State Farm Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 12, 2017

intern

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Used to have a really good work/life balance until they changed to a point system (in 252 reviews)

• No work life balance even though the company preaches it (in 102 reviews)

1. "Awesome experience"

Current Intern - Intern
    Current Intern - Intern

I have been working at State Farm as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Able to help you reach your career goals, align projects with your interests, helps expose you to the company as a whole

Cons

I have yet to run into cons, especially with new offices opening in 3 large cities. I do not hear many people complain about the opportunities the company has for them.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and your employees will be happy. I have enjoyed my time working at the company immensely

2. "College Co-op"

Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at State Farm (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone very nice, willing to help learn processes, even though Insurance company it is a huge IT hub. I have interned in the summer at the headquarters, and I returned as part-time because I loved my work and time in the summer.

Cons

The pay could be higher for College-Co-op's

3. "Summer intern"

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at State Farm (Less than a year)

Pros

Gained experience in the insurance industry. Learned the process of acquiring and servicing clients. Friendly and approachable supervisors. Good training in products and business model.

Cons

Lots of cold calling. Basically read from a script on every phone call. Work can be very repetitive and boring. Possible long periods of time with little success because of how they have you call. Clients can be rude. If sales isn't your thing, this is not a good fit. Also was unpaid.

Advice to Management

Provide more meaningful work for interns. Take them with you to go see clients once in a while. Don't be afraid to listen to suggestions from employees.

4. "Phenomenal Company If You Can Handle Location"

Former Intern - Intern in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Intern - Intern in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at State Farm as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Thoroughly enjoyed my time at State Farm. Great opportunities available in Systems (expanding to 2 hubs), Innovation, Ad Services and other departments. State Farm really does care about work/life balance and takes time to develop its employees. I knew of several coworkers who had moved around 5+ times for different positions, cities, etc.

Cons

Bloomington, IL... If you're extremely family-focused, it can be great. However, the size of the town in combination with the fact that most people you see out at night also work at State Farm is extremely tough. State Farm is a scary commitment for a new grad.

Advice to Management

If possible, try to offer more flexible opportunities location-wise (beyond Systems). Young talent can be very attracted to the company, but less-so to Bloomington, IL. The people who commit full-time out of school seem to be of the same mindset, which can affect diversity.

5. "Great Internship - Learned a Lot"

Former Employee - Intern in Chesterfield, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Chesterfield, MO

I worked at State Farm (Less than a year)

Pros

The agent I worked for was very flexible and willing to work with me as I learned throughout the summer.

Cons

The position wasn't really for me - I learned so much and definitely acquired some new skills but I really didn't enjoy the work that much

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! I really enjoyed working there - everyone is so nice.

6. "Intern"

Former Employee - Sales Intern in Penndel, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Intern in Penndel, PA

I worked at State Farm (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment to work in.

Cons

Not very challenging, often time it was just calling customers

7. "Great company and great people."

Former Intern - Compliance Intern in Bloomington, IL
    Former Intern - Compliance Intern in Bloomington, IL

I worked at State Farm as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

State Farm is a company with LOTS of great people. There is a term at corporate called "State Farm nice" which basically means that everyone is friendly and pretty easy to work with overall. Management for me was great and cared about my personal growth throughout my internship. There were lots of opportunities for interns to grow professionally and my intern class had great people who I still keep in contact with months after the end of the internship.

Cons

It can be hard to get projects done in a timely manner due to the bureaucracy that comes with a large company. Sometimes working with other departments can be hard due to cultural differences between departments.

"Great Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Intern in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Champaign, IL

I worked at State Farm (More than a year)

Pros

You definitely do real work, get real experience, and get a real pay as your motto suggests. The RDC serves as an incubator for good ideas that they aren't able to get to at Corporate.

Cons

Since you are students, sometimes it feels like they are treating you as children. But, you are still learning.

9. "Summer Internship Program"

Former Employee - Process Analyst Intern
    Former Employee - Process Analyst Intern

Pros

The people you work with are all so helpful and nice
    Networking opportunities are endless
    Projects coming at you nonstop

Cons

Some projects are just busy work
    Intern Training is tedious
    They don't pay for housing

"Fun research projects and friendly supervisors/co-workers"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Champaign, IL

Pros

Everyone who works here is very warm and friendly...Really...EVERYONE. Also, the research projects are broad in range and involve lots of different areas of expertise. Often, the projects seem only barely related to insurance at all, which is fantastic since I don't really know about insurance nor do I care to learn about it. Instead we get to propose project ideas that interest us and get to play with the 3D printer, VR headsets, and all kinds of cutting-edge technologies.

Cons

The red tape goes on for miles and miles.

Also, you have to tell people you work at an insurance company, and then they'll ask you, "why does my insurance cost $XX?".

Showing 134 of 6,034 reviews