State Industrial Products Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Seth Uhrman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great people to work for and awesome upper management" (in 5 reviews)

• "This job is great outside sales experience" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "A lot of driving and wear and tear on your car" (in 5 reviews)

• "Strong Emphasis on new business" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Anonymous"

I have been working at State Industrial Products full-time

Pros

State Industrial Products is a great place to work, I love my team!

Cons

I don't know that I have any complaints.

2. "Customer service/sales"

Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH

I worked at State Industrial Products full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Helping customers to satisfy their needs

Cons

None that I’m aware of

Advice to Management

Support employees and satisfy customers needs

3. "Great Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at State Industrial Products full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management works well with reps to set goals, provide means to achieve said goals, and rewards accordingly. The sales rep role requires the individual to be very self driven and motivated. You are given the proper tools to succeed and grow the business, but it is up to you to follow through and excel. Management makes themselves very available to sales reps to answer questions, provide support, and they always follow through.

Cons

The revenue is there, you just have to be willing to work for it. If you are not a go-getter, this might not be the position for you.

Advice to Management

While there was some turn-over in management shortly after my start date, the company has worked hard to successfully build the region back up . Continue working with reps one-on-one to ensure success.

4. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at State Industrial Products full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great products and relevant systems STATE has the best drain hygiene products in the country. WATER TREATMENT and FRAGRANCE systems are second to none.

Cons

Starting out is difficult. If you’re looking for a handout go somewhere else. I earn 30% commissions and manage my own time

Advice to Management

Sell more “systems” than one offs. STATE has the best drain hygiene products in the country. WATER TREATMENT and FRAGRANCE systems are second to none.

5. "Good managers. Good product"

Current Employee - Accounts Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Accounts Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at State Industrial Products full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

State manufacturers a ton of products that offer potential customers. Managed is good and fun to have for ride alongs. One of the first jobs I enjoy having managers with me.

Cons

Too early to tell. 4 months in.

6. "Great experience"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Charles, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Charles, IL

I have been working at State Industrial Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This job is great outside sales experience. The products work the way we claim they do. If you can find a good specialty niche within the company to sell, you'll do very well. It does take time to develop a territory, but it gets easier as you go. The money is there, you just need to work for it.

Cons

I haven't encountered many cons and I've been with state for over a year. For me the independence outweighs anything negative.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your reps and DMs to make improvements on products and agreements.

"Account Manager"

I have been working at State Industrial Products full-time

Pros

Good work environment and good people

Cons

I do not fell there are any cons

"I was a Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Animal Care in Key Largo, FL
    Former Employee - Animal Care in Key Largo, FL

I worked at State Industrial Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, salary, benefits, and bonuses.

Cons

A lot of driving and wear and tear on your car. Business was very slow.

"RUN! PLEASE READ!"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at State Industrial Products full-time

Pros

District Manager in my area is a great guy; would have loved to work for him. Pleasant and respectful gentlemen.

Cons

This company is astoundingly comical on the way it does business. They DO NOT provide ANYTHING to sales people to conduct their company business, INCLUDING the software that the company uses to conduct THEIR business; Yes, the company even makes YOU buy THEIR pdf software, as well as an IPAD, and phone, and tools. You, will install ALL equipment, products, even water waste treatment facilities, WITHOUT training. Yes, you as a salesperson (who is not a contractor) is expected to purchase it all, and install it all. You will receive $400 monthly expense that DOES NOT cover anything close to what your overhead for travel, buying your own everything and wear and tear on vehicle is. The company also unfairly pays district managers (who drive like you) Runzheimer vehicle and gasoline allowances in addition to the monthly expenses, but pays ONLY minimal ($400) and approved monthly expenses to sales reps. Once you purchase an Ipad; if you do not have one, you have already exceeded the allowance before you even start the job or even receive the first paycheck. You as a sales rep are already in the red. MIND BOGGLING! Pay is well below competitive amounts; $30,000 per year and a quarterly 5% bonus IF you make sales. Let’s look at that part, I asked what “book of business” exists to build from, I reviewed and was ASTONISHED that there were virtually NO SALES existent in the area; literally, their “customers” have not purchased State products as early as 2005, but the average last sales transactions were a year to a year and a half ago. What this means to the new entry level college graduate is you have NOTHING to build on to generate revenue. Literally, this may as well be a start-up company, not one in business since 1911. One customer even said "oh, I thought you guys went out of business" The biggest surprise and CAUTION is READ READ READ your contract they try to give you a week after you start which says you give them permission to confiscate your personal devices “IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE PERSONAL DEVICE FOR COMPANY BUSINESS” and you agree that they can have access to your PERSONAL emails, photos or other documents on your device “even if not directly related to the company”. REALLY? The problem is they DO NOT supply ANY equipment and make you provide it yourself, and then put in a contract “if you choose to use your own” you must give them permission of access your personal stuff, and they are not liable if they are damaged, when they do not give you any option to use their equipment since they DO NOT provide ANYTHING. They also make you sign an arbitration only agreement if you have issues or injuries from the company, and you expressly give up your right to sue the company in a court of law. WOW! You don’t talk to ANYONE in human resources, you are in contact with a recruiter who obtains your vital documents via email, and again you provide it to your DM in person. Meaning your social security card, drivers license, tax forms, are given to another EMPLOYEE like you, and not secured or protected as sensitive information. Yes, the company had prior information breaches of sensitive employee data. Training consists of watching 3 days worth of company videos “IN A HOTEL ROOM” with your DM. double WOW! You do not get any “training” after that. Literally, you have no hands on, nothing. You are then pushed to see your customers after this and sell.. You have a conference call with other newbies with “trainers” and you are asked what product would you sell to X customer? Well, who knows, since you have only been working for 3 days and have not even had time to learn their products. Amazing!!! If you want to be with a company that prides itself on pushing off company expenses to the salesperson; did I mention, they force you to sign a contract to state if a customer returns anything than ALL shipping charges will be deducted from the employees pay? Employee pays for their own samples and shipping also, super low pay and NO real customer base, overly expensive products in relation to the competition, and get this; they have ONE scent cube (looks like a computer tower) that is a item that sprays scent mist in lobbies, rooms, etc., well they have ONE cube that rotates throughout the districts that reps try to sell. SO, you cant even show a customer if you had a potential need, you pull it up on an ipad, then wait to get your hands on it to actually show it to a customer. It is VERY expensive as well, so an average customer will want to see it in action or touch it in the least. Anyway, If this is your last resort go for it, then it makes sense, until you can find something better. Oh, and there is a 2 year non-compete clause, also provided AFTER you start working. Don’t be sorry, just run! I am NOT a current disgruntled employee. Please take this post seriously because we as sales people need to hold companies like this accountable to change their employee second ways.

Advice to Management

Invest in the tools you need to increase your company business, STOP pushing off costs to salespeople, SECURE sensitive information by including direct human resource collaboration with information, update your "training" process to include a more professional environment. Woman I am sure are not comfortable with looking at videos in hotel rooms. Provide Runzheimer for sales people, we drive more than DM's.

"Great adventure in Industrial Sales"

Current Employee - Vice President of Sales in Milford, MI
    Current Employee - Vice President of Sales in Milford, MI

I have been working at State Industrial Products full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If, you think you have what it takes to do well in sales? This is great company to work for as they give you the chance to succeed with training support and management support. Fun people to work with, and ongoing training and support.

Cons

If, you don't apply yourself and work hard you will likely fail, unless you get a prime territory.

Advice to Management

Keep on training your team. Be supportive and listen.