State Street Reviews in Kansas City, MO | Glassdoor

State Street Kansas City Reviews

Updated June 7, 2017

Kansas City, MO Area

Cons

1. "SEC Financial Reporting Consultant"

Current Contractor - Financial Reporting in Kansas City, MO
    Current Contractor - Financial Reporting in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at State Street as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Dedicated, hard working finance professionals

Cons

location relative to where I live

"You get what you put in"

Current Employee - Assistant Director, Officer, Financial Reporting in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at State Street full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging work, good benefits and great people. They tend to have plenty of opportunities for those individual looking to advance in their careers, but you have to be willing to work for it.

Cons

When I first started there the work life balance was terrible but has been improving over the past two years. To be honest, at first I didn't mind it because I was eligible for OT but once I became a salaried employee, my direct reports were making more than I was during our peak production periods which seemed to be every other month..

State Street Response

Mar 6, 2017 – State Street

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We know how important internal mobility is to our employees, as well as the success of our organization, so I’m glad to hear you believe there ... More

"Sounded amazing when I started, but left wanting more..."

Current Employee - Client Operations Associate I in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Client Operations Associate I in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Solid company culture and coworkers are generally nice and helpful. New technological initiatives seem to be moving the company in the right direction, even if it is being done so rather slowly.

Cons

Woefully behind technologically which requires a lot of extra work. Many different pieces of these legacy technology systems don't work everyday which causes major issues. Very poor pay... the benefits sounds great but don't make up for the lack of cash coming in after a few months. If you have an issue you aren't really allowed to solve it... it often gets escalated up to a senior team member. Managers/team leaders aren't really involved in developing you or your skills or even setting expectations properly but are quick to notice your shortcomings. Your work load will be doubled over time so the money you aren't make a lot of to begin with seems like even less over time.

Advice to Management

Pay your most valuable assets... i.e. People more to attract and retain better talent and invest heavily in newer technology. Manually importing and exporting, pressing buttons, and copying and pasting all day shouldn't be a job. Structure the positions so that it utilizes some newer technology which will then allow people to think rather than escalate an issue up to management.

4. "Great place to work."

Former Employee - Client Operations, Associate II - Insurance Services in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Lots of vacation time, good management, decent health insurance options, flexible, nice colleagues, no drama, and very professional atmosphere.

Cons

Lack of quality training, lack of work from home opportunities in many departments, jeans not allowed unless you pay a monthly rate.

5. "Custody client operations Kansas City Mo"

Current Employee - Custody Client Operations in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Custody Client Operations in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at State Street full-time (More than a year)

Pros

20 vacation days plus 4 personal days. Low cost benefits compared to other companies. Decent 401k contributions through Fidelity. Some overtime. Good entry level for out of college. Professional atmosphere, people keep to themselves and mind their own business. Experienced employees work from home two to three days a week.

Cons

Very low pay. Difficult to advance. Off shoring many jobs to East Asia. Do not waste your time. Consider other avenues of employment.

Advice to Management

Many managers have been there ten years or more. Do not get sucked in.

6. "Okay place to start out"

Current Employee - Fund Accountant in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Fund Accountant in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at State Street full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WFH access
    Business casual
    Mostly friendly employees
    Easy to enter
    Fairly good opportunity for advancement
    Good benefits

Cons

Lots of overtime
    No flexible schedule (sometimes management will change your work hours and you have no choice)
    Poor work-life balance
    Fairly low pay
    High turnover makes the job harder for those stuck with more work/training in the interim

Advice to Management

Be more connected with your employees, especially before/during structural changes and new idea implementation. Have actual training methods and a plan for how to get new employees properly trained. Give employees more access to what's happening in the company.

7. "Good company, sometimes work is slow"

Former Intern - Summer Intern in Kansas City, MO
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in Kansas City, MO

I worked at State Street as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees were all very helpful and friendly during my time there. The work isn't too hard to pick up.

Cons

Sometimes the workload was a little light and boring. It was nice finishing work early, but it didn't usually feel challenging.

Advice to Management

Spend a little more time developing the internship program. Allow interns to see more than one area during their time there, so they have a better idea of full-time opportunities.

8. "Intern"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Kansas City, MO
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Kansas City, MO

I worked at State Street as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Learn a lot of tasks
    Switch between tasks every couple of weeks
    A lot of intern events held throughout internship
    Counts as college credit
    Easy to talk to your bosses
    You get to complete tasks that the A1 and A2 employees work on

Cons

Communication through IM chats a lot
    Have interns rely on learning tasks from previous notes that are sometimes out of date/ don't have clear instructions
    There can be more down time on certain days of the week

Advice to Management

Teach interns new things in person, instead of having them try and figure it out on their own

9. "Ok Entry Level Company"

Former Employee - Fund Accountant, Associate I in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Fund Accountant, Associate I in Kansas City, MO

I worked at State Street full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Very large company that gets you some industry experience and looks good on a resume.
    -Excellent work/life balance.
    -Good health and 401K benefits.
    -Fairly easy to move up to new positions.
    -Relaxed work environment.

Cons

-Compensation is low.
    -Moving up the ladder is easy, but very little raise for more responsibility.
    -Pretty monotonous work.
    -Don't make an effort to keep people.

"Alright, but pay sucks"

Current Employee - Client Operations Associate II in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Client Operations Associate II in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at State Street full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They hire straight out of college which is nice, and provide some amount of experience in the finance world

Cons

they absolutely detest giving overtime so good luck making more than 38k. they will work you into the ground during those 8 hours a day, and then don't support the CFA or anything other than an MBA. Very, very cheap place, and the experience you get is okay at best and worthless at worst.

Advice to Management

Pay more if you want people to stay. A little ridiculous what you expect from people given what you pay. And you wonder why turnover is so high

Showing 183 of 3,115 reviews