State of California - Department of Parks Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Lifeguard 2- CA State parks"

Current Employee - Lifeguard II in San Clemente, CA
    Current Employee - Lifeguard II in San Clemente, CA

I have been working at State of California - Department of Parks part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management is very friendly and outgoing. Everyday is a new day at the beach, full of surprises.

Cons

There is nothing that I dislike about working for the State Parks. It has been a very enjoyable experience thus far.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the positive attitudes. It promotes and very healthy and motivating work experience.

2. "Environmental Services"

Current Employee - Environmental Services in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Environmental Services in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at State of California - Department of Parks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great outdoor work experience in the field of my interest. Lots of local experts in their field to work alongside with and learn from.

Cons

It's a seasonal position so I get "laid off" each winter season and there are no health care benefits for seasonal staff. The seasonal pay is pretty minimal, and although there are regular raises (about every 6 mo), they are only by a few cents.

Advice to Management

Better communication overall and there's a needed improvement for handling opposing personality/ work conflicts from the manager's level.

3. "Docent"

Former Employee - Docent in Malibu, CA
    Former Employee - Docent in Malibu, CA

Pros

Wonderful environment, chance to meet people from all over the world

Cons

Docents are not paid employees.

Advice to Management

Keep recruiting and offer better perks to retain staff

5. "Park Aid"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laguna Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laguna Beach, CA

I worked at State of California - Department of Parks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ok pay good support medical from free counseling meeting to just good back up from rangers when you need it from dissident customers

Cons

Standard customer service lots of angry folk not reading signs and getting mad at you for their ability to not read the fees before they got charged

6. "Job Security"

Former Employee - Seasonal Lifeguard II in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Lifeguard II in San Clemente, CA

I worked at State of California - Department of Parks part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Hard to get fired, great benefits & guaranteed work

Cons

Low pay, no bonuses, lack of motivation.

Advice to Management

Adapt to change

7. "Love the work and love your area"

Current Employee - State Seasonal Lifeguard I in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - State Seasonal Lifeguard I in Huntington Beach, CA

Pros

You get to spend all day outside. You are able to get paid at the beach and jump in the water when necessary. You make life-long friends, everyone has common interests and their are plenty of extracurricular activities to partake in, not to mention paid training such as EMT certifications

Cons

Management is terrible. This is specifically at my park. We have not had a pay increase in the 10 years I have been there. No respect from employees and the saying, "sh*t rolls down hill" totally applies to this place.

Advice to Management

You are bored and are so focused on how you can make our jobs more difficult, rather than how you can better the park

8. "Ocean Lifeguard"

Former Employee - State Seasonal Lifeguard I in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - State Seasonal Lifeguard I in San Clemente, CA

I worked at State of California - Department of Parks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Perhaps the best job that a young student can have since it active and dynamic. Furthermore it is very rewarding work when done well.

Cons

Salary, though good, does not increase at the same rate as many city beaches. Experience can be very dependent on the senior guard on duty since they designate time and duration of breaks as well as the amount of human interaction one gets on slow days.

Advice to Management

Senior guards should not only be judged by their lifeguarding ability but their ability to manage and motivate junior guards who make up the majority of the workforce.

9. "Potential for the greatest job anyone could ask for."

Current Employee - Lifeguard II in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Lifeguard II in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at State of California - Department of Parks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You have the ability to work any numerous state parks. The people you work with become your best friends and the job itself is extremely rewarding when you save the life of a stranger. Once you show that you are able to perform the basic functions of the job, you can work as a deckhand, vehicle operator, dispatcher, run ATVs etc. You gain invaluable training and are able to work at the beach and get paid!

Cons

I have been an employee for nearly a decade and the state has yet to raise wages. The union we are obligated to pay into takes out $80 each month and gjves 0 representation. Most peace officers are lazy and bored, which makes the seasonal employees a target for work they don't want to do.

Advice to Management

Focus your energy on bettering the program and set specific goals for the seasonal employees, instead of taking your boredom out on us and making our job harder than it needs to be. We are not slaves and should not have to operate far beyond our expected job duties.

10. "Overall great for somebody with no bills. Long term is a no no considering it's only seasonal."

Current Employee - Park Aid in Folsom, CA
    Current Employee - Park Aid in Folsom, CA

I have been working at State of California - Department of Parks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment, fun people, lots of experience with customer service, cash handling, outdoors, and law enforcement/radio traffic. Great stepping stone for other state jobs or parks n rec. Great job for a college student. Lots of downtime to get homework done.

Cons

Park aide position is only seasonal so there are no benefits or reliable job growth or security. Pay isn't the best and it seems to stay that way unless you find a permanent position. Long shifts on weekdays tend to drag on. Not a lot to do in the off season (winter).

Advice to Management

Management could be better as far as the senior park aides goes. Supervising rangers are really nice and understanding. Overall decent management.

11. "Fun Job!"

Current Employee - Park Aide in Malibu, CA
    Current Employee - Park Aide in Malibu, CA

I have been working at State of California - Department of Parks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working outside and having the chance to protect state parks.

Cons

It is a seasonal position.