State of California Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Edmund G. Brown Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "None, There are So many more positives that cannot compare to the private sector" (in 8 reviews)

• "Low upward mobility for career growth" (in 8 reviews)

1. "State Service is Worth it!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

I have been working at State of California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Public Service, CalPers Retirement Plan, Excellent Health, Dental & Vision Care Benefits, Equal Pay, Union Represented, Co-workers that have a huge heart for the people of California!

Cons

None, There are So many more positives that cannot compare to the private sector.

Advice to Management

Continue to strive towards bringing more opportunities with Upward Mobility for your staff. There are a majority of us that are grateful for those opportunities!! Thank you for striving towards the goal of “One Team, One Dream”!

2. "State of CA"

I have been working at State of California full-time

Pros

*relative* stability, unless a major budget crisis occurs or you do not fulfill your duties, you have security and great benefits.

Cons

Not nearly as competitive pay and little encouragement to continue education.

Advice to Management

In a professional setting, leadership skills are important. Leadership isn't a title or a tenure, it's a skill.

3. "Deputy District Director"

Current Employee - Deputy Director in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Deputy Director in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at State of California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    State legislative experience
    Community relations experience
    Event planning
    Constituent correspondences

Cons

Long bureaucratic processes
    Not a lot of oversight

4. "food service tech 1"

Current Employee - Food Service Tech I in Lancaster, CA
    Current Employee - Food Service Tech I in Lancaster, CA

I have been working at State of California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

enjoy working with the residents (vetrans) my job is very appreciated and rewarding.i have great co workers and i am very good at what i do on my job on a daily basis.

Cons

I have no cons. a great place to work

Advice to Management

none

5. "Employment Program Representative"

Current Employee - Employment Program Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Employment Program Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at State of California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, transparency, stability, good pension plan if you plan to retire with the department.

Cons

intermittent status, fast paced work environment, stressful dealing with the public.

Advice to Management

Faster conversion for PI's, more competitive benefits package to retain talent.

6. "Licensing Program Analyst"

I have been working at State of California full-time

Pros

This is a very challenging job. It offers a lot of independence to work in office or in the field. You must be able to multitask and prioritize on the fly.

Cons

Always understaffed so that you must work a very heavy caseload. The equipment provided is not always reliable and in a high pressure position, it is not fun producing when you can’t count on your equipment.

Advice to Management

Support your case carrying staff and go to bat for the things needed to support the work they do.

7. "Excellent Opportunity with the State"

Current Employee - Scientific Aid in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Scientific Aid in Riverside, CA

I have been working at State of California part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working for the government gives the unique opportunity of helping citizens both directly and indirectly. Additionally, it gives you an understanding of how things flow within the government, which can provide some insight that you can use both personally and professionally.

Cons

There are many days where this is a 'cubicle job.' While this is not a particular negative of the job for me, it might be for others. Additionally, as this is a government job, they have to be strict when it comes to meeting certain requirements or following certain procedures.

Advice to Management

I have little advice to give to management. They are very good at treating their employees like humans. The only advice I have is to keep on doing what you've been doing.

8. "Ehh"

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at State of California part-time (More than a year)

Pros

it is very easy money

Cons

you are very bored all the time

Advice to Management

Stop being so lazy please

9. "Employment Program Representative Workforce Services"

Current Employee - Employment Program Representative in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Employment Program Representative in San Jose, CA

I have been working at State of California full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great environment, benefits, and retirement.

Cons

No overtime is allowed. You will work 8 am to 5 pm. This is great because you don't take our work home.

"Steal for the State"

Current Employee - Staff Programmer Analyst in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Programmer Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at State of California full-time

Pros

Job Stability
    Health Benefits
    Not much else.

Cons

Job Stability for employees who are harassing you, harassing others, embezzling, sleeping, stealing etc. meaning they can't get fired no matter what they do to themselves or others. In this sense "stability" isn't the right word, it basically means job protection as long as you're popular and/or your manager is far too lazy to bother to start the long drawn out process of firing somebody.

You will encounter or even unfortunately be involved in various actions that are technically or more than technically illegal. In my 10+ "career" with the state I was privy to or had to directly work on the following illegal actions.

Caltrans - the state requires that construction projects perform environmental impact studies to access the damages performed on animal and plant species before their habitats are obliterated by road construction. This is inconvienient for Caltrans so they developed the innovative solution to just move the money allotted to these assessments to road construction and just falsify them instead. My job was to design software that allowed the moving of the money allotted to environmental impact studies to road construction in a way that made it harder for law enforcement personnel or auditors to detect this. Oh, and sometimes move the money to personal bank accounts of the account managers too. This was billions of dollars in fake payments.

Folsom Prison - Lots of illegal and horrible things happen in prisons some by prisoners and some by the guards. And the only thing these things all have in common is nobody wants to know about them or do anything about them.

Department of Child Support - Make sure the computer system still allows case workers to say that people haven't made child support payments for years and erase the records that they have so they can't prove anything differently. That was the case workers can move that money to their own bank accounts. Then the managers can say things like "$10,000 isn't enough money to bother with any kind of disciplinary action or criminal proceeding". Oh and requiring employees to be on call 24/7 and work overtime but not pay them for it.

Each of these issues was "anonymously" reported to the state auditor which resulted in a long delayed perfunctory "investigation" where each party was sternly warned to "not do it again" which scared them so much they waited a whole week before continuing exactly as they did before. With of course no follow up by anyone else afterwards. No disciplinary actions or criminal charges for anyone involved. The only one who got into trouble was me for reporting anything. Anonymous reporting is not anonymous.

Remember everybody, California loves to pretend it's a great state that support whistle blowers etc. but they don't mean it. What they really mean is that they support whistle blowers who are blowing the whistle on anybody who isn't them. But if you blow the whistle on the state the only thing that will happen is that they'll blow the whistle on you.

So in short, don't work for the state unless you can tolerate any and all levels of horrible behavior from people and it doesn't bother you. Then you'll be fine and to be perfectly honest you'll fit right in.

Advice to Management

Karma is coming.