State of Idaho Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
State of Idaho Governor Clement Leroy "Butch" Otter
Clement Leroy "Butch" Otter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Worked as Administrative Asst. 1 and CSR2"

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Boise, ID

I worked at State of Idaho full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent downtown/N. End, location, (great for walking at lunch too) very low cost monthly parking provided, company events, outstanding health benefits package, PTO, PERSI retirement, 401(k), 457. Stable position.

Cons

No cons really - but sometimes felt resources were running a bit thin - especially in terms of being supported in their call center. Overall very good organization, however.

Advice to Management

I suppose just keep what you are doing - as PERSI is obviously exceptionally well-managed. My advice would be to maybe make it easier for a State EE to transition from one agency to another - similar to non competitive or less competitive programs that the Fed. Gov't has. Total compensation is good when you factor in the value of the excellent benefits package; however, it would be nice to be able to go quicker up pay scale - if that's possible. It is getting more and more expensive to live.

2. "Public Service"

I have been working at State of Idaho full-time

Pros

M-F 8-5 Great benefits and training

Cons

budgets sometimes restrain the need for more workers to do the mass amount of work.

3. "Not bad for government"

I have been working at State of Idaho full-time

Pros

Reasonably secure, laid-back, and easy.

Cons

Slow to adapt and underpaid

4. "It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know"

Current Employee - Technical Records in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Technical Records in Boise, ID

I have been working at State of Idaho full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The State of Idaho offers great benefits, including full medical, dental, vision (although dental and vision are not "superb",) and retirement. You can add your dependents for a fairly low monthly fee to be covered by medical, dental & vision. Most of your co-workers are honest, hard working individuals - not your stereotypical "government worker", although there are a few of those types in every agency that give everyone else the bad name. There have been significant improvements in recent years to ensure that employees have the tools necessary to perform their jobs. If personal satisfaction, helping others and helping lay the foundation for the future matters to you more than money, this could be a great job.

Cons

Cons include politics, nepotism, micromanagement, and an utter and complete lack of appreciation and respect. If you're not "well connected", you might as well not exist. Doesn't matter how hard you work, how long you've been with the State, or how good your performance reviews are, if upper management doesn't like you, or you're not politically connected, you will go no-where, no matter how many transfers or promotional opportunities you investigate. Also, at least with the current administration, experience counts for absolutely nothing. You can have 25 years experience and be the absolute best in your field, but if you lack a college degree, you'll be passed-over for any promotional opportunities (if you were lucky enough to get hired without a degree in the first place) I've been "lucky" to have been promoted several times, but I've watched numerous well-qualified (and even over-qualified) candidates be turned down for jobs because they lacked a college degree in Underwater Basket Weaving, or weren't personal friends with higher management. The pay is abysmal when compared with the private sector and salary increases are a joke. Raises are on a percentage point basis and are tied to evaluations. At my last performance review, I received the highest rating possible (which supposedly translates to the highest raise possible), yet my increase amounted to $.21 per hour. Less than a quarter an hour raise? Really??? Although I will say that is much better than the seven+ years with no raise at all and the years where salaries were actually cut because of the economic downturn.

Advice to Management

In many cases, having a college degree is not going to automatically translate to a better employee. On-the-job experience is often more valuable than a piece of paper, especially when an individual's degree has nothing to do with the job they are performing. Treat ALL employees with respect, from the lowly custodians and administrative professionals, to middle management workers, to upper management. Stop the thinly disguised nepotism and show your staff appreciation daily, instead of at some big event once or twice a year where you get to toot your own horn. Stop rewarding incompetence, just because the employee is your best friend's cousin's nephew, or some other such nonsense. Take the time to get to know the people on your staff. You have no idea what struggles they are overcoming on a daily basis just to get to work and do an outstanding job to make the agency look good. Actually care about your staff, instead of just providing lip service.

5. "Idaho Jobs"

I have been working at State of Idaho full-time

Pros

Great place to work. I highly recommend.

Cons

There are no cons to working here.

6. "Excellent Beni's"

I worked at State of Idaho full-time

Pros

Great Environment, flexible hours and time off schedule.

Cons

Hours were sometimes difficult to work with.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

7. "Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Financial Technician in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Financial Technician in Boise, ID

I worked at State of Idaho full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits including medical, holidays, retirement.

Cons

Pay, depending on the agency culture is less then desirable.

8. "Great place to work"

I have been working at State of Idaho full-time

Pros

Great benefits great retirement

Cons

I'm sure depends on the agency

Advice to Management

Do your best to keep the good employees and get rid of the dead weight employees who don't care and just want benefits

9. "Experience counts"

Former Employee - Idaho in Caldwell, ID
    Former Employee - Idaho in Caldwell, ID

I worked at State of Idaho full-time

Pros

Year round employment benefits variety of duties

Cons

Its not what you know here what you can do don't count 3 years 20 years all the same here

Advice to Management

3 years 20 years are not the same

10. "Good company"

I have been working at State of Idaho full-time

Pros

Job security, great benefits, and great people

Cons

No advancement opportunities and no training