State of Missouri Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
State of Missouri Governor Eric Greitens
Eric Greitens

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay that does not keep up with inflation and does not adjust for cost of living in various parts of the state (in 13 reviews)

• There is not much room for advancement outside of Jefferson City (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great benefits and decent pay."

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Fulton, MO
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Fulton, MO

I have been working at State of Missouri full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While you occasionally have to work overtime in the form of double shifts, you can use that overtime as paid time off, put it in your retirement fund, or take it as cash when you have enough overtime hours built up. You are also guaranteed your two days off per week.

Cons

If a holiday is on one of your scheduled worn days, you can forget about time with your family. Unless you request it off.

Advice to Management

Hire more correctional officers so that we won't be as grossly understaffed. Please!

2. "JUDICIARY CLERK - almost 32 years"

Current Employee - Clerk in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Clerk in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at State of Missouri full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great, vacations and sick time good, plentiful holidays!!

Cons

All judiciary employees called to Jury assembly room in 2005 and were told by preciding judge that we were not going to get raises for a while. Well, it is 2017 and I think it has been 3 times that we have gotten a $20.00 a month after taxes taken raise in that entire time. Am now looking for another job because of NO COLA(cost of living allowance) cannot afford to stay after 32 years of service. My bills have caught up to my income! I make $20.00 more a month than a friend of mine does that is collecting disability. Then the government makes it that you make just over the amount so that you cannot qualify for food stamps either. That is SHAMEFUL and quite embarrassing!!

Advice to Management

Their hands are tied. They are constantly having to train. Revolving door. Be appreciative to the employees who stay.

"Great Co-Workers, Poor investment in keeping worthwhile employees....."

Former Employee - Clerk in Saint Charles, MO
    Former Employee - Clerk in Saint Charles, MO

I worked at State of Missouri full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health Insurance coverage for my family was affordable and provided great coverage. My boss was wonderful, and really realized the importance of a work/life balance. Had a very healthy sick and PTO allowance! In addition, many paid holidays. I thoroughly enjoyed working with everyone that I worked with, and I felt like we were all in it together. Had I felt that eventually the State would wake up and pay me more, I would have stayed forever.

Cons

The State of Missouri is 50th in wages paid to State workers. This made it very difficult to keep quality people around for any length of time. The workforce is divided in two, people who are over 50, vested, and don't want to lose their retirement, the other half are people who are brand new. There isn't a lot of middle ground. All of the middle aged people (myself) with nothing to lose, find other jobs at higher wages. This is going to be a problem when so much of their workforce is near retirement. It takes TEN YEARS to vest in your retirement. Also, as a new hire, you are REQUIRED to give up a percentage of your salary.

Advice to Management

Nothing you can do about the State not paying more money.

4. "Run away of you want to survive!"

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Fordland, MO
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Fordland, MO

I have been working at State of Missouri full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

decent time off and holidays

Cons

old policies run by old heads that block the way to progress

Advice to Management

retire

5. "Entry Level Social/Human Services - Call Center"

Former Employee - Call Center Eligibility Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Call Center Eligibility Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at State of Missouri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was able to obtain entry level social services employment in my field of study.

Cons

Management out of touch, high turnover, unethical practices, unfair distribution of work to call center employees, low chance of advancing, unfavorable training & low wages.

Advice to Management

Listen to the workers, advocate for them...for more generalized policy (=less errors) and raises (MO still among lowest paid state workers in the US, while neighbor IL state workers receive twice the pay), create obtainable objectives with fair evaluations, distribute duties equally in departments. Call center workers are overloaded and unappreciated...feel like puppets.

6. "Poor pay and benefits"

Current Employee - Information Technologist II in Jefferson City, MO
    Current Employee - Information Technologist II in Jefferson City, MO

I have been working at State of Missouri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pressure and a laid back atmosphere. Strictly 8-5 with no worries about deadlines. In the software development section they are so uncompetitive in their pay and benefits that they will hire anyone that breaths so it is very easy to get a development job if you are fresh out of college.

Cons

The pay for experienced software developers is about 50% less than the rest of the area. The pay for new developers is about 25% less. They get away with it because there is a rule that state contractors cannot hire a state worker until they have been unemployed with the state for six months. They did away with their old pension plan and do not match on the replacement.

The shop I work in is filled with old people who began working when the State paid well and had good benefits, new college grads who stick around long enough to get experience and then bail, less than mediocre developers who no one else would hire and local Jefferson City residents who do not want to commute to other towns for better pay. No innovation, no new technology. Promotions are very slow in coming and the yearly cost of living allowances do not keep up with inflation so every year you work you fall further behind.

They contract new development out so a developer will not have the chance to develop new programs. You will spend most of your day doing maintenance on ancient legacy systems.

Advice to Management

I really have no advice to give. Politicians have a duty to keep the cost of government low and they have decided to do that on the back of their employees. As a Missouri tax payer I can appreciate that. That is the way it is and it's not going to change so either accept that you will be underpaid or just stick around long enough to get experience and then bail for a position with better pay.

7. "A Good Introduction to the Office Life"

Former Employee - Intern in Jefferson City, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Jefferson City, MO

I worked at State of Missouri (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone I worked with was very friendly and always eager to help.
    The internship program did a good job of introducing the interns to several representatives of the various departments.
    It was a good introduction to the office environment.

Cons

My supervisors sometimes struggled to find me work to do.
    I sometimes felt like I wasn't being challenged enough.

8. "If it's what you want it's an awesome job to have."

Current Employee - Probation & Parole Assistant I in Fulton, MO
    Current Employee - Probation & Parole Assistant I in Fulton, MO

I have been working at State of Missouri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The "benefits" (like insurance and vacation time) with the consistent schedule. Honestly the people are awesome to work with and be friends with.

Cons

Very large amount of stress to deal with to the point that you feel like you have sold your soul to a higher power.

9. "Youth Specialist"

Current Employee - Youth Specialist in Cabool, MO
    Current Employee - Youth Specialist in Cabool, MO

I have been working at State of Missouri full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping youth and families in a great environment

Cons

The hours are long, sporadic and no room for forward movement.

10. "Not alot of work or Growth Opportunities"

Current Employee - Processing Technician in Jefferson City, MO
    Current Employee - Processing Technician in Jefferson City, MO

I have been working at State of Missouri full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-great people to work with

Cons

-not very challenging
    -not much room for growth
    -no structure
    -pay is horrible

Advice to Management

Make sure employees have sufficient work and are recognized for productivity.