State of Nevada Reviews in Carson City, NV | Glassdoor

3.1
State of Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval
Brian Sandoval

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Steady, predictable, pretty good benefits (in 12 reviews)

• better place for work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is a lot less than the private sector (though, that is somewhat worth it given the amazing work/life balance) (in 8 reviews)

• Due to hostile work environment backbiting and mistrust among staff run rampant (in 8 reviews)

"Really depends on the agency"

Current Employee - Auditor II in Carson City, NV
    Current Employee - Auditor II in Carson City, NV

I have been working at State of Nevada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In the right agency, there is amazing scheduling, great co-workers that care about their jobs, not the worst insurance in the world (better than what was offered when I was working in casinos). The work life balance, even at the worst of agencies is amazing, for the most part, you are guaranteed 40 hours a week (if I were to do the same job in the private sector, I'd probably average 50 to 60 a week), amazing vacation, sick, and holiday leave, if you care more about spending time with your family than a huge paycheck, this is definitely where you want to look.

Cons

The pay is a lot less than the private sector (though, that is somewhat worth it given the amazing work/life balance). Also, depending on the agency, the work environment can be horrible. One agency I worked at was so draconian in their time keeping that I had to track any project I was working on down to the minute (and that included keeping track, down to the minute, of all the time I was using to keep track of time). I understand you need to know what your employees are doing when you are paying them, but that is taking it too far (fortunately, this is not all agencies, I'm not even sure if it is the majority). Also, at some of the larger agencies, there is definitely a clique culture. I'll be blunt, one agency I worked at had more high school drama going on than when I was actually in high school.

Advice to Management

The agencies that do things right should be left alone to do things right, the agencies that have become draconian or clique infested need to take a look at the agencies that are doing things right and emulate them.

2. "Boring and thankless"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson City, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson City, NV

I worked at State of Nevada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job security if you don't mind being treated like a mindless robot.

Cons

Most employees here are just milking time till retirement. Most everyone, even management, does the bare minimum. It is soul sucking, but if you have no hope, desire, or pride, then this place may be for you.

"State Employment"

Current Employee - Environmental Scientist in Carson City, NV
    Current Employee - Environmental Scientist in Carson City, NV

I have been working at State of Nevada full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Defined benefit pension program is the reason to work for the state. Health benefits are better than average, but you can find their equivalent with a good company. Leave benefits are also better than most other employers as the state maintains a policy of separate leave pools for sick and vacation and allows the accrual of unused sick time. AS with the pension program, the reward doesn't truly come until the end of an entire career.

Cons

Pay and benefits are at the whim of a frequently adversarial elected legislature. For example, significant pay cuts made during the recession between 2009 - 2013 have just begun to be restored over 5 years later. Career advancement and promotion are frequently not tied to job performance an capability.

"Adminstrative Assistant II"

Former Employee - Adminitatve Assistant II in Carson City, NV
    Former Employee - Adminitatve Assistant II in Carson City, NV

I worked at State of Nevada part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging, secure, great benefits. I felt the on the job training was superior.

Cons

Government bureaucracy, budget constraints. Occasional misinformation from upper Management created difficulties for me to perform a new task proficiently.

"Decent pay, good benefits. A lot of time off."

Current Employee - Program Officer II in Carson City, NV
    Current Employee - Program Officer II in Carson City, NV

I have been working at State of Nevada full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I'm lucky I work in an office with like minded individuals with very little gossip and office politics. The state offers a generous time off allowance for sick and annual leave plus holidays off.

Cons

Although step increases were recently re-implemented after no raises for state employees for 8 years, these yearly step increases are not enough to keep up with the cost of housing.

Advice to Management

Take time to manage properly. ie., Be humble and kind. The egos are pathetic!

"Going through the motions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson City, NV

I have been working at State of Nevada full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paid time off benefit is generous. Since the bar is not set too high, not much is expected out of me.

Cons

No incentives. No accountability. Everyone is so caught up in protecting their job that there is no motivation to inspire or encourage others.

Advice to Management

Be leaders. Exist for the employees. Spend less time developing yourself and more time being a leader.

"good place bad management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson City, NV

I have been working at State of Nevada (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great schedule great benefits and pensions

Cons

good ol boy system, must know someone to promote

Advice to Management

The DHHS specifically welfare needs a total overhaul

"Very nice people, good management"

Former Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Carson City, NV
    Former Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Carson City, NV

I worked at State of Nevada (More than a year)

Pros

I was delighted to work at State of Nevada. The people were very nice. Everyone was interested in doing a good job.

Cons

It was a good experience. Family issues took me away, otherwise i'd probably still be there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the goal setting and developing in-house staff. You have a good team and nice people.

"After a while too hard to leave"

Current Employee - IT Professional in Carson City, NV
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Carson City, NV

I have been working at State of Nevada full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great leave packages, 3+ weeks a year. 11 paid holidays. People are usually great to work with.

Cons

Pay is lower than private sector. 1% raise this year is mainly a joke.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who actually do the job. There is no reason to reinvent the wheel every couple of years.

"The Gov has no appreciation"

Current Employee - Grade 36 in Carson City, NV
    Current Employee - Grade 36 in Carson City, NV

Pros

You may have job security.

Cons

No career path.- unless you're a male
    Low wages, lack of raises, furloughs, and when you do get a 3% increase, they reduce it by raising healthcare and benefit costs. I netted a . -1.5% decrease on my paycheck after the first raise in 5 years was offset by an increase in benefits costs.
    Outdated salary range that do not reflect the increase in the cost of living over the last 8 years.

No education funds
    No training funds
    No mentoring (unless you're a male)
    No employee appreciation - in the form of an email from the Gov. Employees contribute to their own appreciation and throw themselves a party. The state wouldn't spend a nickel to show appreciation.
    Medicaid has better insurance then the state offers and new employees don't get any insurance or pension.
    No upper management HR training so no hope for change.

A hierarchy that does not allow access to decision makers, information coming from Grade 2X or 3X becomes rumor after having to navigate the 'Supervisor/Manager' game.

Advice to Management

From the Gov to Grade 37, they need management training, they need lessons in mentoring and coaching, they need to establish career paths for their positions and provide a means for employees to get the education and training needed to advance in the state. They are hanging their hopes on the 18-26 crowd and spending hundreds of thousands of dollars filling and refilling these positions. A complete overhaul of HR is needed with salaries the equal the cost of living. These salaries won't allow for the 'American Sream.' The work is tremendous but as long as they promote each other, it will never even be recognized as work to be done.