State of South Carolina Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
State of South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster
Henry McMaster

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay, sexist, no chance to move up (in 5 reviews)

• The pay is not as competitive as the private sector (in 3 reviews)

"Program Coordinator"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Columbia, SC

I have been working at State of South Carolina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is nice and approachable, including the Director.

Cons

Pay is extremely low and it seems most entry-level positions have the same salary range.

Advice to Management

Increase pay

2. "Pharmacist"

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Columbia, SC

I worked at State of South Carolina (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and retirement are still good options.

Cons

Salaries cannot compare to those in the private sector.

Advice to Management

Managers need to worry less about their power base and more about their customers.

3. "Office of Regulatory Staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

Pros

Nice office in downtown Columbia.

Cons

The best way to describe this place is to start by saying that all but two people in the energy regulation department (the dept that regulates utilities in SC like Duke Energy and SCE&G) just quit: including the dept director, deputy director, and three out of five energy analysts. This is a horrible place to work and the admin puts absolutely no value on its people (which might be why nearly the entire dept just quit). If you love working for people that wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire, ORS is the place for you. The people in charge literally brag about never taking annual leave. People can't get out of here quick enough.

Advice to Management

Quit. You couldn't run a lemonade stand.

"Love It or Leave It"

Former Employee - Human Services Care Specialist in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Human Services Care Specialist in Columbia, SC

I worked at State of South Carolina full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Division of Inpatient Services is best for Licensed Staff (RN, LPN) working through an Agency. The fulltime/licensed Staff are frequently expected to stay for 16 hours with little or no notice. You might want to apply here if you're having trouble being hirred anywhere else as a BSW or MSW. Here, there is such frequent turnover in Social Work that there are always vacant positions. From what I can tell, you won't be scrutinized too carefully. But the best positions are: Recreation/Activity Therapist. Your starting pay is in the range of $25K+; but you have virtually NO supervision, especially if you are working evening or nights. You don't always have to show up when you're doing evening activities. Nice gig if you can get it! Also, there is virtually no scrutiny of the sick leave privilege anywhere in the agency. Call in sick whenever you want! But more than two days in a row requires an MD excuse... Unless you're an RN, in which case "birds of a feather...flock together!"

Cons

If you aren't related to someone who is part of Administration, you are subject to frequent badgering and threats of unpaid suspension and/or termination. Unfortunately, throughout DIS, being light-skinned-ethnic or caucasian puts you at an immediate and continual disadvantage. I can't explain it--but I've witnessed this firsthand for a decade. Be prepared to be your own best friend.

Advice to Management

Give back appropriate authority to individual Nurse Managers (Nurse Manager III's) in each of the residental lodges. The individual Nurse Managers know who their good workers are. The Nursing Supervisors are entirely out of touch, as is the Director. As a result, RN/LPN turnover is at an all-time high; and it is obvious that their morale is at an all-time low. Also, Management needs to concentrate on diversity in hiring. The overwhelming majority of Staff--licensed and non-licensed--is African/American. Because of this, many of us felt as though we were swimming upstream.

"N/A"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I have been working at State of South Carolina (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, job security, friendly coworkers, flexible work hours, Meeting Industry people

Cons

Micro managing, lack of promotions, lack of raises, pay

Advice to Management

Stop Micro managing.... Fight for incentives for your employees.

"Tedious, laughable at times"

Former Employee - Mid-Level Management in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Mid-Level Management in Columbia, SC

I worked at State of South Carolina full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits. I've been lucky enough to have some good supervisors.

Cons

Overall poor leadership at the top level. The different facilities are kept in the dark and have little input on decisions that affect their facility. Ten percent of employees do ninety percent of work. Pay is not competitive with public sector, therefore, a lot of direct resident care staff are there because they can't get hired anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Stop with the "Leadership by Fear" strategy. It doesn't work with anyone with any self-esteem. Good employees don't stay long so you're stuck with mediocre at best.

"Great place to start, horrible place to stay."

Current Employee - Auditor in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Auditor in Columbia, SC

I have been working at State of South Carolina full-time

Pros

The SC Legislative Audit Council is a great place to start your career. The office is small and you do get to know everyone fairly well. It's a great opportunity to learn how SC state government works and learn the "ins and outs" of performance auditing (basically a form of management consulting). Also, it's pretty low-stress and you can pretty much take time off whenever you wish.

Cons

1) There is little to no growth. After your initial raise following your one year anniversary, don't expect any raise or promotion (outside of the legislatively mandated "cost-of-living" increase you may or may not get every few years that applies to all state employees) for at least 5-10 years. The agency is very "top-heavy" --meaning the management doesn't retire. This means there are hardly ever promotions.
    2) The salaries are terrible after a few years. The only state that pays its legislative auditors less is Hawaii.
    3) The agency hardly ever pays for training; so forget about getting any certifications or out of state conferences paid for from this agency. Good training is not a priority here.
    4) Micro-management is the name of the game with nearly every single audit; so for every audit.
    5) For an agency whose job it is to make state agencies more efficient and embraces "best business practices", it does not practice what it preaches. The IT/computer equipment is sub-par, there is no leadership from the top, and management has no vision for the future either for the agency or the staff.

Advice to Management

1) Pay your people more....like an average of 15-20k more at every level. Everyone at the agency knows we aren't paid well enough.
    2) Pay for training. If someone, no matter if it's 1 or 15 people, wants to get certifications that will benefit the agency (i.e. CFA, CPA, CIA, CFE, etc), pay for it! it's called investing in your staff! If you want your staff to have more competency in certain areas, you have two options. Pay people enough to take a job here, or (the cheaper option) pay for your current staff to get those competencies/certifications.
    3) Management needs to learn how to manage and lead people; not just yell at them and tell micro-manage their work.
    4) A real line must be drawn between management and auditing. Please read this to mean that management should not be having their hands in every audit, nor should auditors be forced to answer to two audit managers.
    6) Management needs to stop being afraid of asking for decent funding from the legislature.
    7) When it comes down to it: the pay sucks; there is no leadership; management blatantly doesn't care about the staff; there are hardly ever promotions, and if you work here, you will not break $50,000 in salary for at least 8-10 years.

"Rewarding but underpaid."

Current Employee - Human Services Coordinator in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Human Services Coordinator in Columbia, SC

I have been working at State of South Carolina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working to help people receive benefits is rewarding. You get to interact with people who face serious issues and need your help to overcome them. The best way to deal from day to day is to remain positive and calm. Make sure you know policy and action plans to assist people quickly and effectively.

Cons

Basically everyone is underpaid but that is expected in state service. In order to move up you have to network.

Advice to Management

Salary raises will help high turnover rate.

"A good place to start, but a terrible place to stay."

Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor I in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor I in Greenville, SC

I have been working at State of South Carolina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Invaluable experience with different clinical populations. Exposure to diverse clientele. Workplace security.

Cons

Little room for advancement. Lack of support from superiors. Too large of a caseload.

"Run for your Life!"

Former Employee - Correctional Officer II in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Correctional Officer II in Columbia, SC

I worked at State of South Carolina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There was nothing good at all about my experience there. I have been in Corrections for 10 years before moving to SC and getting on with their DoC. I have never seen such corruption in my life.

Cons

Some of the instructors teaching their Correctional Officer training can't even speak proper english and are hard to understand. They have some good instructors, but...not all. Once I went to work, black staff were free to make racist comments to me without fear of reprisal. A sergeant actually had inmates harrass me because he thought I told on him for something, which I didn't. That wasn't fun. After another officer told me the Sgt. was the cause I wrote it up and gave it to my Capt. Nothing was done...nothing. Lieutenants are scared of the inmates and neither them or Sgt.s will back up their officers. No one ever does a proper count according to policy on night shift. If you try to do one the inmates will give you such a hard time it's not worth it (BTW I always did mine any way hence my blood pressure problem) and the bosses won't back you so almost no one does them. There is so much backbiting and open hateful behavior from sergeants or anyone with authority you WILL become physically ill before you quit. There's anywhere from 5 to 45 minutes a day that you spend turning in equipment every day that you're not home but unable to leave work that you are not paid for. Many Veteran officers are unduely familiar with inmates and bring in contraband. They get away with it by bullying new staff and marking territory. Don't get me wrong, there were a few great staff people, but BRCI is so wrought with the corrupt, unquestionably stupid, racist management that would act out at white officers openly for no good reason that I knew not to complain. I was even told that it was " Easier to do paperwork on a dead inmate than a live one" after performing CPR on an inmate that complained of chestpains and then went unresponsive. It was almost time to go home and the Lt. didn't want to be stuck there doing use of force paperwork. If I'm ever called on this I will be happy to take a polygraph.

Advice to Management

If your not one of the ones actually involved, be very careful and try to get away. If you are fire yourself. You are dispicable and those who protect you are worse.