State of Wisconsin Department of Corrections Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Good benefits"

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at State of Wisconsin Department of Corrections full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible schedule

Cons

Alot of work, busy all the time

2. "Correctional Officer"

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Hartford, CT

I have been working at State of Wisconsin Department of Corrections full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, Pension At The Moment , Vacation and Sick Time.

Cons

Off Shift Hours, Negative Environment, Too Much Politics, Below Average Pay, Working Holidays

"LPN"

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Waupun, WI
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Waupun, WI

Pros

No PROS to this job.

Cons

A staff that can not seem to work together/
    Management that is unable to control employee combativeness.
    Staff that has been working in the Infirmary too long unable to make changes being asked.

"DOC Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eau Claire, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eau Claire, WI

I have been working at State of Wisconsin Department of Corrections full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Helping people in the community as well as disadvantaged people who are incarcerated is rewarding, most of the time. Good chance you will end up in a well-run facility or department.

Cons

Negative climate by staff and inmates at times. Not all facilities are well run and it takes a huge amount of work to make changes that are often very much needed. If things are not taken care of, it can become a fairly dangerous issue.

Advice to Management

Don't lose track of your responsibilities to your employees in the crazy busy world of offender rehabilitation and reintegration. Also, perhaps look outside for your upper-level executives rather than promoting the longest tenured prison guard if you want to improve your executive-level decision-making outcomes.

"abusing your title"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stanley, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stanley, WI

I have been working at State of Wisconsin Department of Corrections full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You might come across a legit employee

Cons

Female employees take advantage of male inmates gets them tickets add time to their time for note having relationships with them and not just guards social workers as well and they get away with it

"Health Services illegal and unethical behavior"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Portage, WI
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Portage, WI

I worked at State of Wisconsin Department of Corrections full-time

Pros

Decent pay and benefits for what we did. Maximum security(I worked at CCI) kept the staff pretty safe. I really can't come up with any other 'pros" for this job.

Cons

Corruption from the top of Health Services all the way down to the nursing staff. Employees denying inmates access to medical care, denying them their meds upon release, over work the staff; we had 8 RN's for 840 +/- inmates. One of the first things taught in nursing school is to be an advocate for your patient. When I tried to do this, I found myself with a target on my back. Rather than try to gather facts about the illegal and unethical activities in HSU, Warden Greg Grams and Deputy Warden Tim Douma threw me under the bus. Did I mention that the HSU manager was the Deputy Wardens sister? Yep.

Advice to Management

The DOC needs to look closer when someone offers up facts supported by documentation and records. They need to stop the practice of letting relatives working together and covering for each other at the same facilities. The system is so corrupt, nothing will ever improve, so money will be thrown away paying off inmate lawsuits, when the problem could be corrected.

"Working as a slave"

Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at State of Wisconsin Department of Corrections (Less than a year)

Pros

I didn't find any pros for this job. Was worst job I worked in my life. Management does not have your back and will turn on you.

Cons

If you like to be forced to work over 64 hrs a week and be treated like crap from inmates then this job would be for you. There is a high turn over rate for this job and you are forced with doubles and overtime. Pay is not even worth the money.

Advice to Management

Be more productive and make sure your correctional officers are doing ok since they are the ones that has to deal with the inmates daily bs.

"probation & parole agent"

Current Employee - Probation/Parole Agent in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Probation/Parole Agent in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

vacation, health/dental insurance, pension plan - these are pros for the time being - under current leadership, all have eroded since the implementation of ACT 10 legislation - benefit package worsens each year

Cons

management: very unrealistic view of the population served-especially in large metro areas; out of touch with reality; increases agent workload on a weekly basis; no regard for agent safety; driven by public perception; deaf to employee complaints; hostile work environment; no raises
    Biggest con is NO UNION

Advice to Management

Take a position-we're either law enforcement orientated or social workers. You can't have it both ways because it doesn't work. You need to understand the population we're working with & admit that there are differences throughout the state. Most of all Compas IS NOT THE ANSWER.

"Although it did not work for me give it a try"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at State of Wisconsin Department of Corrections full-time

Pros

Training for the State of Wisconsin Department of Corrections was great. They pay for all meals and lodging. The training staff is awesome. I have no complaints regarding training.

Cons

If you are going into Milwaukee County things are a bit different than how you are taught . Case loads are way to high to do anything you were taught in training. If you are a Social Worker this is not the career for you. I would recommend a friend because my poor experience had more to do with my unwelcoming unit and supervisor opposed to the DOC DCC itself. As far as the DOCDCC they treat their employees like offenders. They do not uplift their employees and push success. It is a very stressful place to work. However if you are use to the corrections field i.e. jails, prisons, etc then it may not bother you.

Advice to Management

Management should be supportive to their employees. Remember a new Agent will not be as experienced as a 20 year Agent. Have patience.

"Run for the Hills!!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Captain in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Captain in Madison, WI

I worked at State of Wisconsin Department of Corrections full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is a core of good people, hanging on to hold the fort together. I hope to live long enough to pee on the grave of scott walker.

Cons

The criminal republicans have gutted state government in the hopes of making fortunes off privatization. The accepted contributions from CCA are growing fruit by the elimination of good benefits, the ending of raises. We have staff paid 25% less than county people they used to be paid more than. The horrible conditions of massive forced overtime, understaffing just will get worse..

Advice to Management

Let the ship sink. The 500 vacancies will never get better. Advise the staff that hanging on will not improve the treachery of walker and his crooked crew. They will continue to bleed out staff until they succeed in bringing in the CCA. We have already had deaths attributable to the forced overtime.