State of Wisconsin Investment Board (SWIB) Reviews | Glassdoor

State of Wisconsin Investment Board (SWIB) Reviews

Updated Aug 22, 2019

Found 24 reviews

2.9
State of Wisconsin Investment Board (SWIB) CEO David Villa (no image)
David Villa
  1. "great place, great people"

Current Employee - Administrative Specialist in Madison, WI

I have been working at State of Wisconsin Investment Board (SWIB) part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pay and benefits, a really good bunch of people! They care about their employees.

Cons

Parking downtown. Only downside. The 2018 snafu with our 6 month executive director is over with. Moving onward!

State of Wisconsin Investment Board (SWIB)2019-06-03

"Consistent Highs and Consistent Lows"

Current Employee - Analyst in Madison, WI

I have been working at State of Wisconsin Investment Board (SWIB) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Enjoyable work. Consistent investment management strategies implemented at a professional level.

Cons

Company struggles internally. Upper management claims they want to expand, yet they boast high turnover rate. Worked closely and interacted with interns, many of whom made it obvious they would like to work at organization full-time. Upper management seems to shun possibilities of hiring students for the long haul. And they wonder why they can't find anyone.... Rewards and favoritism are steady; under constant... eye of upper management. At times, seems like we are working off based on agendas and voice is not heard.

Advice to Management

Look for people who express willingness and passion to work rather than hire based solely on qualifications from outside. Encourage individuality.

State of Wisconsin Investment Board (SWIB)2019-08-15

"SWIB (Stagnant Wearisome Insidious Bureaucratic)"

Current Employee - Analyst in Madison, WI

Pros

-SWIB's Front Office offers the most lucrative & rewarding careers -Most teams/departments uphold their own culture/vibe -Smart, hardworking, & mostly friendly people -Madison

Cons

-Layers in the Organizational Structure -Difficulties instituting change -Poor internal communication -Toxic employees fueling cliques, rumors, & gossip -Turnover -Minimal opportunity to advance & impossible to change roles/departments within -Misleading job descriptions &responsibilities -Around the clock meetings suffocate productivity & morale -Outdated & constantly playing... catch-up to an ever-changing & evolving industry -Monotonous work -Parking is a very expensive problem & office space is limited -Accommodations to employees with disabilities are similar to those of a developing country

Advice to Management

Plethora of wisdom and brainpower to find a solution for every problem while generating alpha. The missing piece is taking action and properly executing.

State of Wisconsin Investment Board (SWIB)2019-08-23

"Good Workplace, Little Opportunity for Intern to Full-Time Extension"

Current Employee - Current Employee

I have been working at State of Wisconsin Investment Board (SWIB) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

SWIB is a great place to work. The people are friendly, the environment is open and I am always pushed to do my best. Every summer, SWIB hires interns to assist our departments, and I enjoy their time in our agency because they often bring a fresh perspective to what we do.

Cons

I have had interns in the past but they were not offered full-time positions, despite their hard work and how well they got along with everyone else. Upper management always stresses they want to acquire top talent, but they let very smart and dedicated kids walk right out the door to other agencies after months of working here!

Advice to Management

If you have a good intern and one that enjoys doing his/her job, make room for them to stay on as full time after they are done with school. That is how most professional internships work if the intern does a good job.

State of Wisconsin Investment Board (SWIB)2019-06-27

"Ask for Policies before acceptance to fully understand working for a State agency"

Pros

Good WI State benefits Mission to support public employees Location is downtown Madison Continuing education is strongly encouraged

Cons

Bureaucratic Progression Council determines employees' progressions Frequently changing compensation policies and goals Government travel policies and budgets Turnover

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the Mission

State of Wisconsin Investment Board (SWIB)2019-06-04

"For things that matter most, SWIB hit all the right notes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at State of Wisconsin Investment Board (SWIB) full-time for less than a year

Pros

I am actually surprised to see a few really negative reviews about SWIB on Glassdoor. Having worked at several big, small, public and private organizations myself, I'd like to offer my perspective on working at SWIB. As a public organization trying to compete in the high-stake and competitive field of finance, SWIB faces unique challenges. Not only is SWIB striving to deliver haute cuisine on a fried chicken... budget in an environment of increasing food cost, SWIB's every move is highly scrutinized and often subject to uninformed and unfair criticism. What I like about SWIB are: (1) Management usually sets the tone of the organization. SWIB management really cares and is extremely accessible. There are no Executive Floors or private dining rooms. Top brass walk the same hallway as everyone else. All staff are invited to quarterly meetings to hear updates directly from the ED. Btw, I don't know a single person at SWIB who does not think very highly of David Villa. With him at the top, SWIB is in good hands. (2) SWIB has spent the past few years investing heavily in technology. The level of sophistication is on par with the top names in the industry. Why does this matter? Faster trade execution, accurate bookkeeping, fewer missed investment opportunities, and better security all add to investment results. (3) Overall SWIB has a merit-based culture. My colleagues are smart, professional and have diverse backgrounds.

Cons

Compensation is somewhat lower than the private sector, especially when compared to the coasts. Parking is a royal pain and costs a ransom downtown. This should have been addressed many years ago. Too many rules and regulations at a public agency. Don't ever expect any perks, not even free coffee. If you are an attorney, you have to pay for your own bar association fees. If you have a professional... designation such as CFA, you have to pay for your own dues (Why?? Is this a recreational scuba diving license?)

State of Wisconsin Investment Board (SWIB)2019-05-31

"Avoid unless hired for top management"

Pros

Vacation and that’s about it

Cons

Pays less than consultants say is appropriate for position, leadership is not transparent, bonuses earned can be deferred up to 2 years, equity returns constantly under s&p500 returns so significant part of bonus will never be paid out and management unwilling to index equity part of portfolio, no opportunity to advance much as sr leadership hires from outside via reported cronyism.

Advice to Management

Please retire or change equity investing to idexing for the good of your pensioners

State of Wisconsin Investment Board (SWIB)2019-03-03

"Accessible senior leadership"

I have been working at State of Wisconsin Investment Board (SWIB) full-time

Pros

People coming from traditional investment management industry sectors will appreciate the flat organizational structure (e.g., no Director of Research) thus eliminating the longer lead time to pitch ideas into the portfolios. Running 2-3 person sector teams creates efficiencies and stronger team dynamics within the sector. At times, this may appear as a silo’d approach but colleagues are self-aware and do a nice job... of reaching out and bantering across the sectors.

Cons

Overall nothing negative. All good.

Advice to Management

Keep up the weekly division recap emails. The transparency is appreciated.

State of Wisconsin Investment Board (SWIB)2019-01-23

"Don't Work Here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at State of Wisconsin Investment Board (SWIB) full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Some people are great to work with.........although the good ones keep leaving.

Cons

Agree with the comments made by several other employees or former employees that nobody questions anything for fear it will get them in trouble. Culture is very toxic. Turnover is very high. Wouldn't suggest working here. Leadership only cares about making themselves look good. No strategic direction instead busy trying to control the message of the organization. The best advice I can give someone looking to... work here - DON'T.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to control the message and actually communicate.

State of Wisconsin Investment Board (SWIB)2019-01-21

"Toxic culture - run far away"

I worked at State of Wisconsin Investment Board (SWIB) full-time

Pros

Mission driven culture with good benefits

Cons

Top leadership is only interested in making themselves look good and finding ways to make more money for themselves.. People that report to them know the only way to survive is to kiss up and do what they say. Nobody questions anything for fear it will get them in trouble. The Board is asleep at the wheel and not paying attention to the leadership troubles being caused by the management council because they are... afraid to have turnover in the top job for the 3rd time in a year. The risk profile on the organization has increased significantly because nobody can question management without dire consequences.

State of Wisconsin Investment Board (SWIB)2019-01-16