Statistics Canada Interviewer Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Statistics Canada Chief Statistician Anil Arora
Anil Arora
1 Rating
  1. "Easy work but not easy to work there."

Former Contractor - Telephone Interviewer in Winnipeg, MB

I worked at Statistics Canada for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay for the type of work. If you don't like many hours and prefer an erratic work schedule, then this is the job for you. If you can speak both official languages, you'll have more work and compensation.

Cons

Similar to comments already posted (regarding atmosphere and management). Can be discouraging at times when repeatedly phoning people that hate you.

Advice to Management

None, as it won't make a difference.

Statistics Canada2013-10-29
  2. "Good pay for what you do"

Current Contractor - Interviewer in Sturgeon Falls, ON

I have been working at Statistics Canada for more than a year

Pros

Good compensation considering the work load

Cons

Very little opportunity to advance Motivation dies as time goes on No incentives; smile and dial motivation

Advice to Management

Revise internal procedures to become more efficient from a budgetary perspective, and provide more incentives for your employees

Statistics Canada2013-05-03
  3. "Good money for what you do"

Current Employee - Interviewer in Sturgeon Falls, ON

I have been working at Statistics Canada part-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation is satisfactory to say the least. Statistics Canada has a good working environment with some opportunity for advancement if you are good at what you do.

Cons

Work may depress some. Calling people who do not necessarily want to talk to you takes a toll at times. Statistics Canada does not good that great of a job keeping us workers motivated either. Smile and dial gets old after the first time you hear it.

Advice to Management

Implement better internal procedures to maximize budget usage.

Statistics Canada2013-04-23
  4. "Flexible hours, IF you get hours"

Current Contractor - Computer Assisted Telephone Interviewer in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Statistics Canada for more than a year

Pros

Easy work for the pay you get. Talking on the phone to gather info isn't strenuous and most willing respondents enjoy the conversation if you are a friendly person with them.

Cons

Compromises sensibilities when we have to call difficult respondents who refuse to do our surveys multiple times a day. You are also never guaranteed hours, and never given more than a week to know that, when the schedule is printed. Suitability for the job doesn't outweigh production, and if you do not produce, you may not get hours the following month.

Advice to Management

Treat us like people, not statistics. Cutting hours cuts the livelihood from people depending on this job to pay rent and feed families. At the very least, give staff a heads up about cut hours TWO weeks in advance, before the schedule is printed, so that we can look for alternative employment.

Statistics Canada2012-07-27
  5. "Exciting"

Former Employee - Interviewer

I worked at Statistics Canada full-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working outdoors meeting new people while enjoying the weather and being able to work at my own pace. I had an amazing boss to work with who encouraged her staff.

Cons

Being undermined by some politicans, the job of census taking took a hit from the public. It would have been nice to continue into full time work

Advice to Management

The short term staff have some excellent ideas when they finish the job, that information can be used in the future, so LISTEN.

Statistics Canada2012-07-11
  6. "Great Experience"

Current Contractor - Field Interviewer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Statistics Canada for less than a year

Pros

Diversity of teams. Random selection of workload (meeting a lot of interesting individuals & families) Make your own schedule, as long as the job gets done properly.

Cons

Time consuming reporting back process. Unorganized distribution of material needed to conduct the job properly. Long hours, have to be on-call - even if you had specified certain hours of availability - due to the availability of individuals/families being interviewed.

Advice to Management

None - management and supervisors were very supportive throughout the contract with any information needed to perform a better job. Keep doing that!

Statistics Canada2012-07-06