Statistics Canada Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Statistics Canada Reviews

Updated 2 Dec 2019

3.9
Statistics Canada CEO Anil Arora
Anil Arora
  1. "Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Statistics Canada full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- More room to choose what you want to do here - Less pressure compared with the private sector

Cons

- Too many policies and restrictions to follow - IT technology used here is behind than the outside market

Statistics Canada2018-06-16
  2. "Census Project Assistant"

I worked at Statistics Canada part-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Safe work. Easy work.

Cons

Accomplishing the project can be chaotic because the project team is under time pressure.

Advice to Management

none.

Statistics Canada2018-06-14
  3. "Good place to work but slow"

Former Employee - EC-01 in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Statistics Canada full-time for more than a year

Pros

Steady work, low pressure, supportive colleagues

Cons

Slow career advancement, lack of challenges, politics

Statistics Canada2018-06-19
  4. "Recruit Program"

Current Employee - Recruit Analyst in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Statistics Canada full-time for less than a year

Pros

A great program for people who have just graduated that allows you to do extra training and gain exposure to different areas areas of the organisation over a two year period.

Cons

Nothing that is too bad.

Statistics Canada2018-05-27

"Wait, wait ,wait and work"

Current Employee - Statistical Clerk in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Statistics Canada part-time for less than a year

Pros

Tasks are explained well. Most of people are friendly or at least they try to be.

Cons

It takes years to receive an authorization from upper management. No flexibility, everything must be the same all the time. Why? Because it's like that. You have a lot of waiting time, with nothing to do.

Advice to Management

Be more open and change their old system with time entry. No flexibility and if you want to exchange a shift, it takes 3-4 different forms... So many time lost just for : I have a dentist appointment and I just want to switch my shift of Monday to Tuesday.....

Statistics Canada2018-06-04
  6. "Good to work here"

I have been working at Statistics Canada full-time

Pros

Pay Flexible schedule Good for a long term employment

Cons

Living in Ottawa is not for everyone

Statistics Canada2018-05-17
  7. "CR"

Data Entry in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Statistics Canada for less than a year

Pros

Data Entry Looks Great You Think

Cons

Data Entry Is Not Fun Everyday

Statistics Canada2018-06-07
  8. "Great organization to work with"

Former Employee - IT Employee in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Statistics Canada full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

good work environment technology wise. Management is supportive for using newer technologies.

Cons

Promotions are not really performance based. too much emphasis on bilingualism.

Advice to Management

More performance based promotions would be very much appreciated.

Statistics Canada2018-04-23

"Career development could use massive improvement!"

Former Employee - Analyst/Economist in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Statistics Canada full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Starting pay for recruits is really competitive....but plateaus fairly quickly. Pension, Stability, not much else really.... Pay after several years experience is much better in private sector if you are in a in-demand field....

Cons

In the EC stream, most of the EC jobs are essentially boring data verification/ Excel spreadsheet monkey copy and paste jobs that have little to no career potential for advancement outside of Statcan, Most EC positions in federal government outside StatCan require experience in economic research, policy analysis, writing papers, and doing economic/statistical modeling with some programming knowledge involved.... The knowledge that you gain in MOST (but not all) EC positions at StatCan are fairly useless. There are some EC positions in the analytical studies branch where you get experience doing research and analysis but these are rare, max 100 ppl in these divisions versus 2000+ in the survey processing, national accounts and prices divisions. There are some good roles in these divisions too, but probably less than 20%. Found myself unable to apply or even be considered for other EC positions outside StatCan even for a secondment as the experience and skills developed there were too basic. Why I took the job was because it was initially advertised as an Analyst/Economist position....but I guess I should've checked more carefully before accepting the offer. Only looked at job title and pay alone, and that was enough to entice me, thinking that things would get better, but in the end, left after 3.5 years. Luckily, I had skills and prior experience in coding/programming and was able to secure a role in this area outside government. HR manager on my 2nd day even advised me on my 2nd day that if I did not like what I was doing after 2 years as a recruit, then I should quit....should've taken that advice sooner. Most recruits I know that joined StatCan that had other skills and experiences eventually quit within 2-3 years to take on jobs that were more fulfilling, higher pay and better career development. If you have any career ambitions or goals, then I would AVOID the EC stream at StatCan! I am not too familiar with the CS and MA streams, but I have heard that the training opportunities and career development are better there....some ppl from those streams have gone on to work at Google, Adobe etc. in Silicon Valley. Oh and I would not recommend the FI accounting stream either.....also kind of dead-end in sense that it would be very hard transition to industry or public accounting (ex. KPMG, E & Y etc.).

Advice to Management

Give more meaningful jobs with more emphasis on career and skills development for your ECs. Recruitment program is not very good, and the courses are mostly useless and boring, not rigorous enough at all. Better match candidates with specific roles rather than just randomly picking people out of a candidate pool and putting them in some random job as an 'Analyst/Economist' doing data verification as opposed to... economic analysis and research.

Statistics Canada2018-04-09
  10. "User Support Technician"

Former Employee - User Support Technician in Brossard, QC

I worked at Statistics Canada full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are kind enough when are approached friendly.

Cons

The hiring rule to mandatory hire people of diverse ethnicity kills knowledge and proficiency in various fields in public service.

Statistics Canada2018-04-13